FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 Next Page )
Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-21 10:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-21 22:52, bigtikidude wrote:
Chuck I have to admit that I am not a big fu fu food person.
And I like middle of the road American food.
and Gringo or Baja style mexican food.

Jeff(btd)

Now there is good mexican food in "Old Town" which is what? 2 miles away at the most.

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-21 11:00 pm   Permalink

Ironically I have never been to any of the Mex joints in Old Town.
have been to a few places over off the 5, and Washington,
and also a few inland near the 805 and El Cajon.
But for a good place.
I like to go to the Mexican food joint next to Trader Morts Liquor store
near Bali Hai.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IKABOD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-22 10:24 am   Permalink

Tiki Oasis Volunteer available position of the day!
Well more than one really. Before you is the remaining spots available to apply for. Now it seems like a lot. But remember is only just a few more weeks until Tiki Oasis! These will go fast, So if you haven’t decided yet, now is the time to do it!

1. Job ID TODO72X Donation Organizer (Paid Position)
make sure we have all donations and check-mark them off list. Bring items to locations as needed. MUST BE 21 YEARS OLD
30 minutes pre-work, Wednesday afternoon (4 hours), Maybe 6-8 other hours over the course of the weekend.

2. Job ID TOBA75X Tiki Oasis Booth Assistant to Manager
Help with set-up and break down of merchandise booth Friday-Sunday - about 1-2 hours per day (take about 30 minutes each time) - extra hour of work Sunday morning.

3. Job ID CPDK76X DJ set-up spinmiesters…
Set-up and take down DJ stuff throughout the weekend
Friday, Saturday, Sunday at various times.

4. Job ID CPSV82S Symposiums Volunteer
Help with set-up and break down of rooms. Also checking wristbands/taking tickets at the door. You will get to meet lots of Tiki people doing this volunteer gig!
Saturday: 9:45 - 2pm, upstairs 10:30-12, then help with dance class

5. Job ID CPGT66SU Crowne Plaza Greeting Table
You will be checking names off the list and issuing wristbands. You must be an organized person.
Sunday 4pm-10pm

6. Job ID CPGT67SU Crowne Plaza Greeting Table
You will be checking names off the list and issuing wristbands. You must be an organized person.
Sunday 4pm-10pm

7. Job ID CPGT54F Crowne Plaza Greeting Table
Friday 1:00pm - 6:30pm

8. Job ID TOBV81SU Tiki Oasis Booth Volunteer
Who’s minding the store? You are! These volunteers will be chosen by Tiki Oasis and should ideally know Baby Doe and Otto personally.
Sunday 5pm-10:30pm

9. Job ID BHST70TH Bali Hai Selling Tickets
Sitting in Bali Hai lobby charging $10 for entry or pointing them to check in table - have to talk to people!!
Thursday 5pm-10pm

10. Job ID CPSV20S Symposium Volunteer
Saturday 12:30-5:00, do Jeff symposium upstairs then help with set-up for Pin-Up class and breakdown (bring donations left over to Tiki Oasis staff)
Saturday 12:30-5:00

11. Job ID CPSV82S Symposium Volunteer
help with set-up and break down of rooms. Also checking wristbands/taking tickets at the door. You will get to meet lots of Tiki people doing this volunteer gig!
Saturday: 9:45 - 2pm, upstairs 10:30-12, then help with dance class

12. Job ID CPSV83SU Symposium Volunteer
Charles Phoenix and Bosko Symposiums. You will be checking names off the list and issuing wristbands. You must be an organized person.
Sunday: 10:15 am - 2pm

13. Job ID CPSV84SU Symposium Volunteer
Charles Phoenix and Bosko Symposiums. You will be checking names off the list and issuing wristbands. You must be an organized person.
Sunday: 10:15 am - 2pm

14. Job ID CPPU40E Event/Pin Up Helper 1
We need help with the pin-up shoot organization Friday 4pm - 5:30pm and Saturday 3-5:00pm. Our concierge will get everyone's name and contact at the event AND share this with the organizers AT the event!

To grab one of these spots shot us an email at
volunteers4tikioasis@gmail.com. Tell us about yourself, why you deserve the spot you have selected and we'll go from there. Remember, you get a free ticket to Tiki Oasis! For the Weekend!

ikabod!

[ This Message was edited by: IKABOD 2011-07-22 10:25 ]

View Profile of IKABOD Send a personal message to IKABOD  Email IKABOD     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-22 11:08 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone who chimed in....I've been to enough Oasis's to have tried the various food options, (personally not thrilled but I don't go to Tiki Oasis for the food). I had just wondered if there was a reason with as large a crowd as Oasis draws that there were never any onsite food vendors to provide something a little more Tiki?

Pulled Pork, BBQ Chicken, Hawaiian style hot dogs with Spicy Hawaiian Pickle Relish, Sweet Maui Onion Relish, Mango Mustard, Lilikoi mustard, Guava Mustard, Shave Ice

Doesn't that sound yummy?

If there's an interest and it is allowed by the hotel that's what I'd like to offer next year.

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-22 11:21 am   Permalink

Dr.TM, I think it is a great idea, but I think the Hotel does not want the competition
to their own restaurants & why Otto can't reply (conflict of interest, maybe?)

For anyone who has waited in line or for food once you have been seated knows, it gets a bit crazy at the Hotel.
(Never mind my criticism of the food)

But the restaurants do have regular hours and it sure would be nice if there was a couple
of "Food Trucks" after hours, Otto what do you think?

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-22 2:37 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Chuck TiT!

Under normal hotel operating conditions I'd agree but when Otto buys out the ENTIRE hotel in advance, the entire hotel is ONLY Tiki Oasis guests, and he pre-sells half of another hotel I think that if the convention had a on site Luau or wanted caterers we could. Just guessing really.

Other than that if there were a demand I'm sure a truck could park on the street or near by without even asking the hotel. Currently I'm just curious if there is a demand for other on site food choices or something more to the theme of the event. If the desire is there I'm sure it would be possible to make it happen.

Mahalo for the feedback.

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-22 2:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-22 11:21, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
But the restaurants do have regular hours and it sure would be nice if there was a couple
of "Food Trucks" after hours, Otto what do you think?

About that....if it were MY food truck I wouldn't drive down there just to pick up the late night scraps after the restaurants get the lion's share.
There will always be plenty of guests eating at the restaurant or people that prefer the sit down meal.

I believe I can provide something that the restaurants don't and better choices of food specifically planned for the Tiki crowd. The hours I'd keep would depend on how long we were still making money serving there....if it's 8 PM and there are only 3 people in line we'd likely be done for the night.

Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-22 2:52 pm   Permalink

Looking forward to getting a real Conga line going this year...

http://youtu.be/kOBW6m6Efes

The Art of Doug Horne
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-22 3:20 pm   Permalink

HaHaHa! I love the doggie Cha,cha. I have a feeling that there will be many many conga lines through out the weekend! Last year I had one in our room party. Fun stuff. So, the world record for longest conga line was established in Miami, March 13 1988. 119,986 people! There will be an attempt to break that record next April. Could Tiki Oasis even come close? We can always try. Then celebrate our attempt with conga drinks!

View Profile of Big Vic Send a personal message to Big Vic  Email Big Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jeffaron

Posted: 2011-07-22 3:59 pm   Permalink

I have many new Tommy Bahama items (camp shirts, slacks, sunglasses) available at cost to anyone going to Tiki Oasis 2011. I had to close my clothing store but, if I can sell enough, I can go to Tiki Oasis this year and drink my stress away. Mahalo.

View Profile of jeffaron Send a personal message to jeffaron      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FilthyMidget
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-22 7:31 pm   Permalink

so excited about this!!!
It needs to happen now!!!!!!!

View Profile of FilthyMidget Send a personal message to FilthyMidget  Email FilthyMidget     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
babydoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-23 01:22 am   Permalink

Tiki Oasis would like to congratulate our winners in the First Ever Tiki Oasis Pin-Up Photo Contest!

Tiki Oasis Whipped Cream Girl and First Place Winner*: Queen Pirate
2nd Place Winner: Lulu!
3rd Place Winner: Dottie Lux

The winner will be covered with whipped cream before a live audience in a recreation of Herb Albert’s Whipped Cream & Other Delights album cover. Come see this exciting event at the Tiki Oasis Art Gallery Saturday August 20th, 11:00 am - 12:00 Noon at the Crowne Plaza San Diego hotel.

~ Thanks to everyone who submitted a photo and voted ~

* if winner is unable to attend event, runner-up will be named the successor

View Profile of babydoe Send a personal message to babydoe  Goto the website of babydoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
babydoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-23 01:37 am   Permalink

AT TIKI OASIS THIS YEAR

Burros, Black Velvets and Other Delights
curated by Baby Doe and Reesenik
proceeds to benefit WiLDCOAST
Gallery open Friday-Sunday 11am-4pm
ARTIST RECEPTION SAT AUG 20th 1pm at the Tiki Oasis Art Gallery

** Special thanks to Elroy Art for managing our art show this year!

Check out photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=226337460728100

Inspired by toreadors and jai alai, tequila and Tijuana, street tacos and warm summer nights on sandy beaches – "Burros, Black Velvets, & Other Delights" conjures up memories of brief visits to Tijuana when Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass were king and cheap tequila was the fuel that kept the fire alive. Curated by Baby Doe and Reesenik artist were asked to either submit an original black velvet painting or randomly be sent a Tijuana style Burro or Piggy Bank.

All proceeds from "Burros, Black Velvets, & Other Delights" benefit WiLDCOAST (www.wildcoast.net). WiLDCOAST was founded in 2000 to protect and conserve some of the most ecologically important coastal wildlands, lagoons, and marine ecosystems that remain in California and throughout Baja California, and has also successfully conserved more than 1.8 million acres of coastal wildlands and wildlife habitats. Within San Diego, WiLDCOAST works with local communities to protect and restore our beaches and open spaces through hands-on restoration projects, cleanups, environmental education and community involvement.

Tiki Oasis is proud to be featuring the top Tiki Artists paying homage to Tijuana's past. Artist include....
Atomikitty
Babalu
BigToe
Bowana
Cass McClure (aka junkhauler)
Crazy Al Evans
Danny Gallardo
Dave Lozeau
Dave Warshaw
Dawn Frasier Sophista-tiki
Derek Yaniger
Doug DoOr
Doug Horne
Eric October
Erin Joy
Jason Rodgers
Jason Sallin
Jennifer Kenworth “Juanita”
John Mulder
Joshua Ellingson
Ken Ruzic/Little Lost Tiki
Maya Rodgers
Michael Fleming (aka Tweedlebop)
MP
Pizz
Reesenik
Thor
Tiki King
Tiki Tony
Wendy Cevola

View Profile of babydoe Send a personal message to babydoe  Goto the website of babydoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-23 07:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-22 19:31, FilthyMidget wrote:
so excited about this!!!
It needs to happen now!!!!!!!

I agree - bring it on, conga line and all.

teresa

View Profile of TNT Send a personal message to TNT  Email TNT Goto the website of TNT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JudyLuck
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-23 08:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-17 10:27, crazy al wrote:
calling all Burlesque Dancers... and extras!!
WHO IS REENACTING THIS SCENE!!!???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxEjXQLqxfU

and where is Otto going to find 100 Riffles!!!!

ha ummm the stage could be a little crowded... gun world????

View Profile of JudyLuck Send a personal message to JudyLuck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation