FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 Next Page )
Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-22 5:53 pm   Permalink

Thank you once again to the Los Seafinks for playing at the Cult of the Eye party not once but twice on Saturday night. We hope you come play for us next year.

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-22 5:58 pm   Permalink

well be there! thanks again for having us! and our compliments to your bartenders! and congrats on winning the room award!

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-22 6:02 pm   Permalink

where the heck was Tiki Ray and his Fire Hose when you need him!????

man!?? i finally enjoy the great DJs in the ball room and miss all the excitement....(latin music just about killed me this year...I 'crashed' at 3am every morning- just getting old i guess??)
Good to know the drums of the jungle rain at 3-something AM like back in Palm Springs (However it was not a full kit outside a room, but you have to progress right?)

ANOTHER BLAST! THANKS TIKI-NEWS CREW!
(LONG LIVE EXOTICA!)

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-22 6:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-22 17:37, whoseyrtiki wrote:
Eavesdropped conversation, "I asked for a quiet room and the hotel put me next to Hell! What's quiet about Hell?!" Felt for this woman's situation, but giggled at her comment all night.

A lady came over to Tiki Hell room on Friday night and yelled at us. She must have been the same one. I feel bad. Gosh I hope she was not still there for the fire alarm on Saturday.

View Profile of Big Vic Send a personal message to Big Vic  Email Big Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bill5925
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-22 6:17 pm   Permalink

So many things stand out...

The Cocktail, CSI was extraordinarily entertaining and informing, and I don't even drink! No cocktail party would be complete without a version of that. The whipped cream photo shoot was a hoot! Thank you to Otto and his staff for tracking down my mug "after hours" on Sunday afternoon. It was a shame to have Marina there, but not do a mermaid swim. She also should have been interviewed during the Mai-Kai symposium, but it was a treat to see her, nontheless. As Jeff Chenault pointed out, Marty Lush displayed astounding talent on keyboards with his Latin Livers performance. Shag was kind enough to sign my truckload of shirts and prints without complaint. I did spend a paycheck or two in his store in return. I don't want to pigeonhole him, but King Kukulele is just so great with kids. Thanks again. I'm already planning for next year.

View Profile of Bill5925 Send a personal message to Bill5925      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-22 6:19 pm   Permalink

Great job on the Mai Kai seminar Swanky !! I think it should be available as a DVD and sold in the Mai Kai gift shop.

Who knew that Bettie Page was (almost) Tiki.

Oasis = Learning.

And Marina is THE Mystery Girl. Did you drink your bowl afterward ??

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-08-22 18:23 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-22 6:39 pm   Permalink

What a blast! My wife Carol and I just loved our first Tiki Oasis! Our favorites were CSI Cocktails, Jeff Chenault's exotica seminar, and dancing to Mr Bongo. (and also meeting him and talking about the tune Jack Jack Jack). What an incredibly nice guy too!
Plus my wife captured the "so tired" gag on video during his show - which was hilarious

Oh so many more things were great. Loved the meet and greet and ESP Tiki Joe's Ocean. Superstring was cool. We had a room above the hot tub so it was like our own tub. Vendors and art show cool. Really super friendly people. Just amazing all around. Only thing we thought would improve the event is to add some men to the fashion shows and have some male dancers as band dancers. And maybe add some body builder / muscle head / beefcake things to the burlesque shows or as a poolside thing just to mix it up

but all in all a great event!!!

[ This Message was edited by: I, Zombie 2011-08-22 19:09 ]

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-22 6:51 pm   Permalink

MAHALO to everyone who stopped by to check out the BigToe booth!!! what a blast. already making plans for next years event.

on a sadder note:

Help! while i was loading out of the vending area on Sunday night, someone wandered off with my 2 vintage bamboo screens. They are shabby, but have sentimental value.

fairly basic old folding screens.

i have heard rumors that an shady villain from years past was poking around after the event, so San Diego peeps, please be on the look out for someone trying to sell them.

Please let me know if you have any info to help me get them back. MAhalo!!

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-22 7:39 pm   Permalink

if its who i think your reffering to, ill be sure to keep my eyes open for ya toeseph.

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-08-22 9:20 pm   Permalink

I'm still processing the weekend but that was my favorite Tiki Oasis yet. Mahalo to everyone involved in making Tiki Oasis happen every year. Hosts, volunteers, hotel staff, vendors, guests...everyone. Another stellar weekender.

In lazy internet bullet point fashion, some personal highlights:
- Converting 8 friends into repeat Tiki Oasis offenders. Maybe they humored me last year, but they willingly planned around this year's event. I couldn't be happier.
- Mai Tais & music at the Bali Hai on Thursday. Surfer Joe and His Boss Combo were an unexpected revelation. Seeing Tiki Joe's Ocean come to life was nifty too.
- Bosko's symposium on San Diego Poly Pop. He has such a wealth of knowledge, an eye for detail, and a passion for the subject.
- The Agave Seminar. I'm not a tequila fan at all, but figured I'd better know the enemy. I was so surprised to hear Jacques felt the same until 8 years ago. Rum is king, but I gained an appreciation for tequila.
- Whatever Forbidden Island was serving during Sip 'n Shop. Thank you! The Barritt's cocktail was pretty tasty too.
- The Flowing Barrel of Rum and punch from Martin Cate and the Smuggler's Cove room crawl. You helped convert my friends into the more "spiced" style of rum cocktails they didn't realize yet they liked.
- The Forbidden Island room was so energetic...we saw Chum and the Insect Surfers on 2 separate visits. Between the drinks and the bands, 1704 was killing it Friday. Bummed that we missed their Saturday Hula Girls party, but we did see them 3 other times.
- Thee Swank Bastards...found their room on Friday around 2 am after others in our party hit the sack. Hot, packed with people, and loud!
- The amazing art in Burros & Black Velvets.
- CSI cocktail. I'm not sure how Martin Cate keeps raising the bar on each year with his symposiums. I can't believe I couldn't figure out a cocktail I've made several times by reading the ingredient list.
- The Saturday night line-up was full of great musicians. I liked each performer more than I expected to.
- Meeting Charles Phoenix Saturday night. Fun, funny, nice, warm, engaging guy. His Sunday slideshow was top-notch as usual.
- Swanky did a hell of a job on the Mai Kai symposium. You could really hear his knowledge and love of the Mai Kai in his descriptions and words of the history dripping from the restaurant's walls.
- The Hula Girls, playing everywhere. We saw them at both car show sets, and opening for Don Tiki. You could tell Spike's voice was shot but damn if they didn't give it everything they had left. Total pros, loved that raw set, and that standing O at the end was 100% well-deserved. Closing the set with some Peter Gunn and then into Surfin' with Von Franco? Bring them back to Tiki Oasis 0012 please.
- Don Tiki is not at all what I expected based on their records. That's a show with some production. Oh and they're pretty good musicians too.

Ok that went way long and I touched on maybe 10% of the weekend. Van Tiki live sculpting, Tiki Tony getting a well-deserved "best booth" award (and mahalo for the bird mug), dropping money at the Dionysus booth...

There are so many great Tiki Oasis experiences to be had every year...just grab a cocktail, walk, and talk to someone. You never know what you'll learn and experience.

Happily exhausted. Thanks, Ohana!

kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-22 10:50 pm   Permalink

Loved. Every. Minute.
Okay, maybe not the five minutes when the hotel fire alarm went off at 3:15 a.m., but everything else...Loved.
You know, there were many who expressed concern about this year's theme -- that it was not "Tiki enough". But I have to tell you, having observed the sea of sombreros bobbing to Marty Lush and his Latin Livers, really, who cares? People were enjoying this. There was, and will always be, plenty of Tiki at Tiki Oasis. The yearly "theme" Otto comes up with is for people to find new ways to have fun with it all, and keep our imaginations AND TIKI going. If we do the same thing every year, at every event, we will bore ourselves and Tiki will deteriorate faster than a paper umbrella in a spilled Mai Tai.

Thank you, Otto and Baby Doe, for another terrific party. I'm already thinking about my secret-agent theme ideas for next Oasis. "Spy vs Tiki".

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-23 12:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-22 17:11, Bill5925 wrote:
And why, WHY, would someone bring a caged rooster to the hotel at that hour? If I had brought my computer, I was dying to download strangled rooster sounds or a gunshot followed by bird squawk to appease the angry guests.

the hotel was mildly upset about the rooster, partially because the guest did not pay the pet (nuisance) fee and partially because they got complaints.
Rest assured, rooster guy will not be invited back to Tiki Oasis 2012

Does anyone here know who Drum Guy is, I'd like to add his name to the list?

and btw, thanks everyone for partying down so dang hard. I was impressed when I was woke up by the fire alarm at 3:20 am and found several folks still partying!!
Also impressed on Sunday night after leaving a party at 2am to find that it went til after 4:30 am!?!

[ This Message was edited by: Otto 2011-08-23 00:06 ]

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Leanalynn

Posted: 2011-08-23 01:15 am   Permalink

Had a blast, loved hanging out with old friends and meeting new ones! Not sure how I made it back to the Motel 6 saturday night, but thanks to hubby I did! lol.

My only complaint this year though is that there was far too much burlesque, and it started far too early. The first night, it was before dark, and there were small kids all up in front of the stage. Now I know it's not TO's responsibility to make sure the kids leave really, but I think it was in very poor taste. Maybe I'm a prude, but as a parent it really bothered me to see those little guys and gals standing there 5 ft away from the swinging tassled boobies. The Burlesque really was too frequent for me, and everyone in the rooms I hung out in. We all retreated to the rooms during it's many appearances and came back out when there was good music playin again There's SO many good bands at TikiO that could be up there on the stage entertaining at night, why not move the stripping to the ballroom for a special event/show?

[ This Message was edited by: Leanalynn 2011-08-23 01:16 ]

View Profile of Leanalynn Send a personal message to Leanalynn  Email Leanalynn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-23 07:00 am   Permalink

Just to let you know, my kids watch the dancers and have a great time. We keep our kids very informed and try to keep them open-minded and educated in all things. If the parents treat the fun and beauty of Burlesque as what it is and don't act like it's something dirty, which it isn't, then the kids learn to respect it. Just my two cents.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-23 07:19 am   Permalink

No burlesque isn't dirty but is a form of adult entertainment. I don't feel comfortable with the little kids there and if I were a performer that would be too weird for me. I personally would love to see this as a 21 and over event for the entire weekend.

View Profile of TNT Send a personal message to TNT  Email TNT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation