FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 Next Page )
Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-23 1:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks Otto and Doe for all the work and such an immense event! Thanks to the volunteers and coordinators who did so much.

Still sorting out my first Oasis. I give myself "Biggest Mistake" award. I was so caught up in TIki nerd-ness, I saw this:

Immediately knew I was lookign at a vintage Milan Guanko that everyone was just walking past. ASked the vendor and he said all he knew was they were old, and he wanted $275 for all three. Well, before I said "SOLD!" I said, oh, that is by Milan Guanko. So his wife starts telling people walking by it a Guanko and whil eI am chatting with the husband someone else buys them!
DammiT! 2 Hell!

If I come back and talk more Mai-Kai, it'll be 4 hours long and I won't leave anything out...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-08-23 2:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-23 13:45, Swanky wrote:
Thanks Otto and Doe for all the work and such an immense event! Thanks to the volunteers and coordinators who did so much.

Still sorting out my first Oasis. I give myself "Biggest Mistake" award. I was so caught up in TIki nerd-ness, I saw this:

Immediately knew I was lookign at a vintage Milan Guanko that everyone was just walking past. ASked the vendor and he said all he knew was they were old, and he wanted $275 for all three. Well, before I said "SOLD!" I said, oh, that is by Milan Guanko. So his wife starts telling people walking by it a Guanko and whil eI am chatting with the husband someone else buys them!
DammiT! 2 Hell!

If I come back and talk more Mai-Kai, it'll be 4 hours long and I won't leave anything out...

I bought those! I asked the price and said "I'll take 'em, please ring 'em up". The tall one looks like it could be by Milan Guanko but after looking at his carvings in the BOT I'm not so sure. The middle one is from Mai Tiki. The smallest one I'm not sure of.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-23 3:45 pm   Permalink

As for the Theme of this years Oasis and some not being into it.

I have to say that I understood some people's point of view of it not being very Tiki.
But at the same time, I think it worked, and being a So. Cal. native and being surrounded by
a lot of this culture everyday it didn't bug me at all.

I think that the 12 different versions of "South of the Border" and then multiple versions of "Tequila" on sunday morning while I ate at the hotel restaurant was a bit much, and I wanted to go over and ask the DJ if he thought that was witty,
as I thought it was monotonous.

There was definitely a rowdy vibe to some of the late night room parties.
and I Remember hearing the Los Sea Finks playing at the Bottom of the atrium, looking down on them from the 6th floor, and "Thinking What the Hell"???
Then seeing the Elevator Foot cutting incident go down, and hearing the
Swank Bastards playing their Black Sabbath set, and thinking this was the sound track to the Apocalypse, and how TIKI was this?

Then when the Fire alarm got pulled and I woke up startled of of a couch in a room party.
and walking out across the grass/lobby/parking lot of the Crowne Plazza.
And Hearing all sorts of commotion back at the hotel, and a Fire Truck pulling into the parking lot, I couldn't help but thinking of Nero laughing and playing a violin while Rome burned.

I've always said that Tiki Oasis is what you make it.
And if you aren't into certain aspects of it, get away form those aspects.
Don't let them happen, and then complain about it later like a helpless victim.

Things I loved about this years Tiki Oasis.
of course Surfer Joe's Boss combo and
the amazing view, and vibe of looking at SD from Shelter Island at night.

I thought that Marty Lush and the Latin Livers were a riot, I couldn't stop laughing.

The Creepzotica band

and DJ Bonebreaks Superstring Orchestra were Outstanding,
wish they could have played more.

And Swanky's seminar(sadly the only 1 i attended)
made me want to go to the Mai Kai right then.

There was ton's more stuff I wanted to do,
but I didn't want to stress, and Tiki Oasis is my short 4 day vacation in the summer.

I felt bad that I missed almost all of the bands playing in room parties,
but I was DJing the Tikiyaki,Mojave Oasis,Goin' Primitive,Tonga Hut room party.

Jeff(btd)

P.S. Thanks to those who made it to Ran(kick the reverb) and my drink stop on Fri. or Sun.
The compliments were very welcome, and a surprise for me, as I don't consider myself
anywhere near a mixologist as Ran is.
The Donkey Show, and Dirty Sanchez seemed to be a Hit for those lucky few who got them.

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2011-08-23 16:05 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-23 4:25 pm   Permalink

I had an amazing time at Oasis this year! The Hula Girls played FOUR times and I was still able to find time to hang out with friends and see some of my buddies' bands.... DJ's set was amazing! So was the Big Sandy/ Los Straitjackets set! Maybe next year Deke should come and do a Ventures Mania set featuring some of their spy songs??

On Saturday night, there was a group of guys in their early 20s who were all blacked out drunk walking around the room parties... Non had a wristband or even looked to be into the tiki thing. I found out later that night that they had been pawing at my girlfriend and at other girls, making them feel super uncomfortable. Obviously it REALLY pissed me off... Maybe eventually the WHOLE hotel should be wristband entry only...

Around 3am, as I was loading out from our room party for Forbidden Island, I saw two of them detained by security and another one being held away from the other two. Seems like every year, there are a couple of yahoos who get in to the room party thing and cause trouble because they don't know how to hold their booze. That was the only shadow cast on Oasis for me this year (well, that and my voice going out on me for the Sunday performance)...

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-23 4:29 pm   Permalink

Oh, and a BIG thanks to Otto, Baby Doe, and Maitai for taking the car show entertainment to the next level by getting us a stage this year! We had a pretty good sized crowd! Hopefully the car show progresses into something bigger and bigger every year!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-23 4:32 pm   Permalink

It was Great to wake up to the sounds of the Hula Girls.

You guys were troopers this weekend.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bill5925
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-23 5:16 pm   Permalink

Well now I feel bad since I'm one of the first to bring up the Rooster thing. It was poor judgment on the part of the vendor, but they shouldn't be banned, just told no more non-human animals, IMHO. Though it interupted my attempt to sleep, I loved the idea of the band in the Atrium. As for the burlesque and kids, if you watched the kids, as I did the past two years, and if their parents were ok with it, I think they did fine. I kind of agree with Jeff BTD that you know what to expect at such an event.

Still a little pissed at the fire alarm and phantom drummer, though!

View Profile of Bill5925 Send a personal message to Bill5925      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-23 5:25 pm   Permalink

When heading over to the Crowne Plaza on Sunday night, the 8 Freeway was overwhelmed by Police Cars heading East with sirens blasting. Turned out they were responding to a very tragic event in El Cajon.

Channel 6 San Diego News

Could not help but think that things might have gotten too wild at TO11 when I saw them speeding up the 8 though.

[ This Message was edited by: KING BUSHWICH THE 33RD 2011-08-23 20:15 ]

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NikkiNapalm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-23 9:32 pm   Permalink

I've been attending Tiki Oasis since the one "Zombie Island" theme a few years back, but this was the first one that I attended 3 days (Next year will be all four days!!) As far as my own personal feedback goes:

--Volunteering: Definitely will do this again next year and will recruit more friends to join in the fun! I was able to meet a lot of people and it felt good to be involved and help out.
--Vending: Excellent array of clothing at all different price points as well as fun trinkets and home decor.
--2012 Birds of Paradise Calender: Superb! High quality shots, all of them! Very impressed!
--Pin-up Safrai: Less organized than last year's but still productive. High caliber of photographers, can't wait to see our images!
--Rooster: I didn't stay at the hotel so I only saw the rooster one time...I thought it was kind of fun and he was a nice rooster. Made me wonder why tiki enthusiasts with tropical birds and parrots don't bring their birds with them to T.O. I guess it's because of the hotel charge? I kind of would like to see live parrots or cockatoos in the front hotel to greet all the guests!
--Food: I wish more food options had been available...maybe Polynesian food? The restaurant on site at the hotel is pretty much terrible for the over-inflated prices. The only other food I saw at the event were rum cakes, and the burger stand that had the same burgers as the restaurant.
--Mocktails: A lot of emphasis is put on the alcohol at the event, obviously...but what about the kids, and adults who don't drink alcohol? A non-refillable soda at the restaurant costed $3.50 :/. I think there should be a special mocktail tiki bar where people can order fun sodas and fancy virgin blended ice drinks. This bar would most likely make a killing!
--Burlesque: In my opinion, burlesque is adult entertainment and should be treated as such. A lot of adults don't even want to watch it or appreciate it and see it as watered down stripping. Personally, I don't want to see some gals knockers and nalgas giggling around all over the place, nor do I want my fella, his 5-year old son, or my grandma, who is 93 and may attend next year, to be seeing that either. Traditional hula girls or Go-go dancers yes, but burlesque is something entirely different. Everyone should be able to enjoy tiki oasis, no matter what their age. An idea is for the burlesque to be moved either to a different area off the main stage (possibly a banquet room with a large, elaborately decorated stage that does burlesque performances all day long), or have that type of entertainment begin later than 8:30pm. Let's keep it classy, San Diego! <3

View Profile of NikkiNapalm Send a personal message to NikkiNapalm      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-23 11:44 pm   Permalink

Wow, two pages of positive stuff popped up here in the past 24 hours! Thanks everyone for pointing out the HUGE amount of super awesome activities that happen at Tiki Oasis and go down without a problem and with lots of smiling faces.

I will contact troublemakers on an individual basis and let them know they are not welcome.

Anyone know who the onstage 1:30 am drummer is please PM me so I can cross that off my list

thanks again to the other 1899 people for coming and having safe fun!!

[ This Message was edited by: Otto 2011-08-24 17:56 ]

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 05:19 am   Permalink

Good times
Mahalo to everyone who let me put a video camera in their face. We shot 14 hours a day and then drank a bit too. Thanks to those who delivered drinks to me!

Stay tuned for the edited versions of the videos Crystal Cove Media is working hard on getting them right and tight for your eyes.
youtube search tikioasis tv
or heres a link to a last year performance to get you started

Subscribe to it and you'll be first to see the goods!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surf fink
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-24 07:27 am   Permalink

Thanks Otto and Baby Doe. My wife and I had a great time. The highlights were,Jacques Bezuidenhout's tequila semier, Big Sandy and Los Straitjackets,and Martin Cates CSI Cocktail semier. Mr. Bongo was great fun too.
I think the burlesque should stay right where it is, not everything has to be kid friendly, this is a more adult weekend, lets don't water it down.
And thanks to all the volenteers, everything I saw ran perfect.Thanks again for a great weekend.

View Profile of surf fink Send a personal message to surf fink      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 08:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-23 14:01, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-08-23 13:45, Swanky wrote:

DammiT! 2 Hell!

I bought those! I asked the price and said "I'll take 'em, please ring 'em up". The tall one looks like it could be by Milan Guanko but after looking at his carvings in the BOT I'm not so sure. The middle one is from Mai Tiki. The smallest one I'm not sure of.

It is definitely a Guanko. The other 2 I am thinking are both Mai Tiki. They are likely all the same era. Milan carved a lot right up intot he 80s. Wayne started in 1974.

So, for the record, did you buy them on your own, or did she sell them to you as Guankos? Just wondering if I should be kicking myself or not for spouting my knowledge before buying...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
klockwork
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-24 08:40 am   Permalink

Man, Tiki Oasis just keeps getting better every year.

I have to admit, I was a little skeptical about the Tijuana theme when it was first announced. I definitely get the exotica tie in and I’m a fan of Sergio Mendes and Herb Alpert, but as a theme to an entire Oasis event? I wasn’t sure that would fly too well. And while I did definitely have moments where I felt like I was waiting for a table at Casa de Reyes in Old Town San Diego, I ended up loving the theme. I agree with Tangaroa-Ru – it gives us a new way to have fun with Tiki. I know a lot of purists would argue, but there’s nothing wrong with keeping things fresh from year to year.

I can’t say enough about how great the bands were this year too. Jack Costanzo just rocked the house. To get that many people up and dancing that early in the night is a pretty big testament to how awesome he was. And I was stoked to see DJ Bonebreak in Orchestra Superstring. I was a fan of the Bonebreak Syncopators and it was great to see him play exotica. Big Sandy is always a great act and the Hula Girls sounded fantastic. Thanks to all the bands for putting on a great show.

And forgive me if someone already addressed this somewhere, but with all the back and forth about the validity of Burlesque I have yet to see anyone give the burlesque girls the major props they deserve for delivering one of the best Burlesque revues at Tiki Oasis. My wife and I were saying Sunday morning how much better the Burlesque has gotten over the past few years here and this year was definitely the topper. It takes a lot of guts and hard work for these girls to do what they do and personally I love that Otto and Baby Doe bring it to Tiki Oasis every year. Kudos to them for not giving in to the naysayers and pulling it from their lineup. Burlesque is an artform with a long history connected to it. At a lot of the rockabilly events that my wife and I go to, its given the proper spotlight it deserves and many times you have to wait an hour or more to get into the shows and often times girls will get standing ovations for great performances. I absolutely love the Tiki crowd for how accepting, open, easygoing and friendly you all are and I hate to see these girls compared to garden variety strip club strippers here on Tiki Central. Viva La Burlesque!

And last but not least, it is so great to see the car show get bigger every year. I love that we’re combining kustoms with an event like Tiki Oasis and I hope this just keeps growing (and that at some point I can fix up my truck to a point where I can be a participant in it)

Again, thanks so much to Otto and Baby Doe and all the volunteers and people whose hard work made this event possible. We’ll see all you guys there again next year!

View Profile of klockwork Send a personal message to klockwork      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 09:51 am   Permalink

A big mahalo to Baby Doe (that skirt is terrific) & Otto, the volunteers and the hotel staff for putting this together. The food on the patio was a terrific addition, the veggie burger, much appreciated. The entertainment, car show, smiling, happy attendees made for a terrific weekend. The fact that our main gripes are a guy with a rooster and the little drummer boy, says alot for the way this event is run. That many people and no major disturbance? Wow!
Can't wait for next year.

View Profile of TNT Send a personal message to TNT  Email TNT Goto the website of TNT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation