FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 Next Page )
Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 11:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-24 08:40, klockwork wrote:
Man, Tiki Oasis just keeps getting better every year.

I have to admit, I was a little skeptical about the Tijuana theme when it was first announced. I definitely get the exotica tie in and I�m a fan of Sergio Mendes and Herb Alpert, but as a theme to an entire Oasis event? I wasn�t sure that would fly too well. And while I did definitely have moments where I felt like I was waiting for a table at Casa de Reyes in Old Town San Diego, I ended up loving the theme. I agree with Tangaroa-Ru � it gives us a new way to have fun with Tiki. I know a lot of purists would argue, but there�s nothing wrong with keeping things fresh from year to year.

>> it gives us a new way to have fun with Tiki.

Remember this is an 'old way' of having fun with tiki....
Tiki News(now Tiki Oasis), as i see it, was always an 'Exotica rooted' Zine and Otto got a bit caught up in the whole BOT thing for a while.... I'm Glad to see the 'Caribbean conga players, Voodoo Dancers, and Shrunken Heads" of the old Tiki News fliers Back! (taken from Exotica album art) and yes Tiki News had that 'Herb' night in San Fran back in the 90s.....

Learn it ! Know it! Live IT!

Jungle drums at 3AM!!!!!!

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-08-24 11:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-24 08:33, Swanky wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-08-23 14:01, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-08-23 13:45, Swanky wrote:
Thanks Otto and Doe for all the work and such an immense event! Thanks to the volunteers and coordinators who did so much.

Still sorting out my first Oasis. I give myself "Biggest Mistake" award. I was so caught up in TIki nerd-ness, I saw this:

Immediately knew I was lookign at a vintage Milan Guanko that everyone was just walking past. ASked the vendor and he said all he knew was they were old, and he wanted $275 for all three. Well, before I said "SOLD!" I said, oh, that is by Milan Guanko. So his wife starts telling people walking by it a Guanko and whil eI am chatting with the husband someone else buys them!
DammiT! 2 Hell!

If I come back and talk more Mai-Kai, it'll be 4 hours long and I won't leave anything out...

I bought those! I asked the price and said "I'll take 'em, please ring 'em up". The tall one looks like it could be by Milan Guanko but after looking at his carvings in the BOT I'm not so sure. The middle one is from Mai Tiki. The smallest one I'm not sure of.

It is definitely a Guanko. The other 2 I am thinking are both Mai Tiki. They are likely all the same era. Milan carved a lot right up intot he 80s. Wayne started in 1974.

So, for the record, did you buy them on your own, or did she sell them to you as Guankos? Just wondering if I should be kicking myself or not for spouting my knowledge before buying...

No need to kick yourself. I decided to buy them before the name Milan Guanko was ever brought up. The style alone and the price point is what sold me.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 12:54 pm   Permalink

Big thanks to Otto and Baby Doe, and all the volunteers, for a terrific Tiki Oasis!

Thanks to everyone who came to our Ding Dong Devils room party up on the 8th floor Friday and Saturday nights--we had a blast playing and hope everyone had fun too! Thanks to Hell on Heels Burlesque Revue for performing as well both nights, and enormous appreciation to Montanya Rum and Michelle Baldwin for her tasty selection of cocktails at the party (and thanks to the Forbidden Island and Smugglers Cove room parties for their graciousness in lending us ingredients late Saturday night as the party rolled on!).

The only problem with doing room parties both nights (and spending most of them wearing an instrument) was having to miss the other room parties and bands going on simultaneously. There was so much fun to be had! There were so many highlights of the weekend, but seeing and hearing Jack Costanzo and his band was a high point for me! I got him to autograph my Bongo Fever/Garden of Allah LP, and afterward a man asked to see it and then showed it to a little girl and said "That's grampa." Looking at the picture of the 30-something man with black hair in the picture, she said "Uh uh...that's not grampa." A beautiful Tiki Oasis moment.

Caltiki Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swangulo Tikis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-24 3:45 pm   Permalink

I think those that are complaining about kids and burlesque should MYOB. I do agree starting the more "adult" entertainment after, say 9pm, is a good idea, so those who don't want their kids to see it can remove them. That's totally fair and reasonable. Or even move the burlesque to an inside room that is "adults only." But clearly it isn't illegal, it is done right there in the middle of the hotel grounds where all can see it, and some folks don't have an issue with celebrating the human body.

We had to stop attending TO, unfortunately, because it was just too much with a young child (mainly the drinking and obnoxious behavior that comes with it, and the excessive late-night noise). I advise anyone who is complaining because of their children to do the same and not spoil everyone else's fun. While some of it is kid-friendly, it is primarily an adult event.

~ Terra S.

View Profile of Swangulo Tikis Send a personal message to Swangulo Tikis  Goto the website of Swangulo Tikis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 4:38 pm   Permalink

If it's a choice between kids or burlesque, I'll take the burlesque every time. I don't think TO has to be any more "family friendly." Keep the burlesque on the main stage and not marginalized in a back room. (I would like to see other types of non-musical acts replace some of the burlesque for variety's sake, but that's a different matter altogether). And I like the idea of TO being 21+ after 9pm. If enforcement is too difficult make it a strongly worded recommendation.

As someone said above this is more about bacchanalia and less about Disney. I hope they keep it that way.

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 7:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-22 15:00, Big Vic wrote:
What about that fire alarm? To whoever pulled it: Thank you for the perfect excuse we needed to gracefully, and finally, send our room party guests into the night and out of our room.

Quote:

On 2011-08-23 16:25, Luckydesigns wrote:
On Saturday night, there was a group of guys in their early 20s who were all blacked out drunk walking around the room parties... Non had a wristband or even looked to be into the tiki thing. I found out later that night that they had been pawing at my girlfriend and at other girls, making them feel super uncomfortable. Obviously it REALLY pissed me off... Maybe eventually the WHOLE hotel should be wristband entry only...

Around 3am, as I was loading out from our room party for Forbidden Island, I saw two of them detained by security and another one being held away from the other two. Seems like every year, there are a couple of yahoos who get in to the room party thing and cause trouble because they don't know how to hold their booze. That was the only shadow cast on Oasis for me this year (well, that and my voice going out on me for the Sunday performance)...

I believe that the fire alarm wasn't pulled as a prank, but in response to those young douche bag non wrist band party crashers, when Vixen got her leg cut from the shard of broken tiki mug during the ruckus by the glass elevators. Esperanza grabbed two of those guys, and pinned them on the ground, and hit the alarm with her elbow, all in one fluid motion! Eventually those guys wiggled free, only to be pinned down by more Oasis ohana. Funny, and kind of karmic justice, that all the douches got their asses kicked by a girl, and that's whats going to be written on their permanent records!!!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 7:26 pm   Permalink

Lost In Paradise: Tiki Oasis 11 Friday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPeLxXQBseI

Mahaloz and Cheers!

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 8:13 pm   Permalink

I always love visiting the Tiki Oasis. It has changed over the years, and this year, I got to see the room parties from a very sober view point. For me, the highlight was seeing Don Tiki. Frankly, I am surprised I haven't seen more written about this fantastic concert, especially given the importance of Don Tiki to Tiki in the present.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 10:09 pm   Permalink

ok I know that Inspector Gadget was a 80's cartoon,
and not a cool 50s or 60's movie or TV show about spys.

But I think I may have found a good candidate for someone playing spy tunes.
http://www.dump.com/2011/07/18/inspector-gadget-tapping-on-a-guitar-video/

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kapu Kai in Hi-Fi

Posted: 2011-08-25 08:30 am   Permalink

My wife and I attended Tiki Oasis for the first time and LOVED it all! Already making plans for next year. I hear the theme will be spy/private eye... is this true?

View Profile of Kapu Kai in Hi-Fi Send a personal message to Kapu Kai in Hi-Fi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sleestak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-25 08:55 am   Permalink

i personally think that the entire show is rad! there is A LOT of burlesque but it is a part of the show! the whole reason my family ever started going to this event is because IT IS A FAMILY AFFAIR! my kid was right up on the stage for like 10 minutes and the rest of the time he was playing with friends and having fun. hes 5 and could give a rats ass about a girl on stage, but the music and entertainment entrigues everyone!! he was pulled up on stage and that was even part of the SHOW!!! too many rules makes tiki oasis just another squares paradise. i stay at the hotel, vend every year, play music for ,and not for the event, and the one thing thats always the same every year, is that anything goes!!! i HAVE NEVER BEEN IN AN ELEVATOR WITH A BAND ANYWHERE ELSE EVER!!! i have never been in someones hotel room WITH 50 PEOPLE DRINKING anywhere else!!! Now my kid does not do these things with me of course, but lets look at the magic that is available here, and not try to take it all away and make this another crappy expensive weekend!!! One more thing though, i ABSOLUTELY FIND NO PLACE AT OASIS FOR FIGHTING PERIOD!!! i have attended year after year and my one bragging point was i have never seen a problem with this many people drinking... So when i found out people did this i was pretty pissed off, and the stealing is also bullshit! we may need to kick oasis up a notch and have a beatdown room for the idiots who cant chill!!!!!! hahahaha! i think Baby Doe and Otto got it down at this point.
thanks
davewarshaw.com
http://urbantaxidermy.wordpress.com/

[ This Message was edited by: sleestak 2011-08-25 08:58 ]

View Profile of sleestak Send a personal message to sleestak  Email sleestak Goto the website of sleestak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bill5925
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-25 11:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

But I think I may have found a good candidate for someone playing spy tunes.
http://www.dump.com/2011/07/18/inspector-gadget-tapping-on-a-guitar-video/
Jeff(btd)

Very cool!

View Profile of Bill5925 Send a personal message to Bill5925      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bill5925
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-25 11:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

Funny, and kind of karmic justice, that all the douches got their asses kicked by a girl, and that's whats going to be written on their permanent records!!!

Ok, that makes the alarm trouble worth it! Thanks for the explanation.

View Profile of Bill5925 Send a personal message to Bill5925      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-25 11:57 am   Permalink

I'm glad to hear that the fire alarm was set off while super-hero girls were kicking some drunken, uninvited, trouble-making butt. That rude 3 a.m. awakening is now worthwhile in my book. What I'm about to say is NOT COMPLAINING, as I love Tiki Oasis and all that Otto and Baby Doe do. However, every year, SOMEHOW a bunch of twenty-something idiot guys, without wristbands, always make their way onto the premises and crash our parties and cause trouble. I have had them show up at my room parties, and so have many others. They are usually identified by their lack of Tiki attire and general social retardation. (Note their wearing of baseball caps backwards, which should be banned after the age of twelve.) Is there anything we can do about this at future Oasis events? Either through more hired security and/or all of us refusing to serve them at our parties and asking them to leave? I can't imagine they'd be too thrilled if we showed up at one of their parties (you're right, we wouldn't, but I'm speaking hypothetically), drank their cocktails (if you consider Colt 45 a cocktail) and harassed their women (which I doubt they have). I think we all have to collectively make sure these guys are clearly told they are NOT WELCOME at next year's Tiki Oasis.

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-25 12:15 pm   Permalink

For the record,
The teens in the Elevator,
Fighting, foot getting cut was around
1 am. Right after the Los Sea Finks
Played in the Atrium.

The alarm going off was after 3 am.

How do I know this,?
Saw it happen. (Teens)
And was woke up by it,(alarm)
And looked at time on my phone.
And I was stone sober,
:-/

Jeff btd

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation