FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 Next Page )
Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread
sleestak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-29 08:53 am   Permalink

i rest my case...... and dont bring those firstborn to next years oasis! hahahaha! seriously.

View Profile of sleestak Send a personal message to sleestak  Email sleestak Goto the website of sleestak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JONPAUL
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-29 09:05 am   Permalink

There are Burlesque dancers at Tiki Oasis?

View Profile of JONPAUL Send a personal message to JONPAUL  Goto the website of JONPAUL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-29 10:07 am   Permalink

José Jiménez once said "Should a Father bring his underage Son to a Strip Club?
While this may be educational to the underage Son, It just makes all the over-aged Son's
very uncomfortable, which would be bad Etiquette, My name José Jiménez!"

and a

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kapu Kai in Hi-Fi

Posted: 2011-08-29 2:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-28 22:16, Otto wrote:

Granted, the women do not undress but they wear bikini tops and dance suggestively and it is for the visual entertainment of the males in the audience.

True... but the really sexual dancing and excitement comes from the male dancers at the Mai Kai. I always think the women kinda seem tame in comparison to the men in their show. My wife and I would love to see more of that at Tiki Oasis too. Maybe some male fire dancers or muscle heads lifting weights by the pool, or men in the fashion shows. Just to mix it up a little bit.

Otto, THANKS for the amazing event. My interest in tiki was beginning to wane a little, and you brought me back from the abyss.

View Profile of Kapu Kai in Hi-Fi Send a personal message to Kapu Kai in Hi-Fi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-29 2:19 pm   Permalink

hot sex it what makes those little distractions running around the TO stage... can't live with'em - life don't go on with out'em...

i'll refrain from sharing the pictures... But when Zandora's talents were unleashed on the main stage before the sunset in 2010, i was more then uncomfortable, However the 'artist' in me got the hugest kick out of watching the reaction of the crowd. Every person male/female that looked over 50 was looking everywhere else but at the direction of the stage and Zandora's ample Zang'gerzzzz....

Oooo? look at the people way up there on the balcony... Oooo look over your shoulder, was a pretty sunset....

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2011-08-29 14:22 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-29 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

That said, we have moved the Burlesque to be as late as possible in the evening. We have a 10pm curfew so if the kids stay up til 9 or 10 they are going to see Burlesque. Next year we will move some of the Burlesque indoors after hours but not all of it. Parents beware!

I think that's a perfect compromise!
Yes, please add some of Mae West's muscle men and/or fire dancers to the show! A little something for everyone....

I see Tiki Oasis as that anyway, something for everyone. I love seeing old and new friends from seasons past that I don't get to see often enough. As a vendor, I really enjoy meeting and talking with so many of the attendees. I think for me going forward, I will probably attend without vending so I can get to some of the seminars and the car show, really spend some time checking out all the great art for sale (not make it a 15 minute dash while someone else tends the booth!), enjoy the pool, sleep in, etc. And nothing against the Crowne Plaza, but I'll probably stay elsewhere so I can leave the craziness when I'm ready to and get a full night's sleep! You nutty kids...

Kiki von Tiki stuff on etsy.com!

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
catmomma
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-29 8:09 pm   Permalink

Highlights for us on our 4th Tiki Oasis:

*Creepxotica while I was floating in the pool
*Big Sandy and Los Straightjackets
*Car Show (how do I show my car next year???, PM me)
*laughing after hearing "Tequila" played by almost every band and then like 40 times by the DJ on Sunday morning.
*meeting my neighbors at 3:20am when I popped out of my room (barely dressed) during the fire alarm
*I got the best balcony ever this year and even got a fridge and microwave without askin!
*Crowne Plaza staff
*Friday night dance party
*Cocktail CSI (even though it was really late to start)
*watching go go dancers from behind while sitting in the jacuzzi with a cocktail
*the chance to step away for some horrible stuff going on in my life, even if for just 3 days.

Wishes for 2012:

*the same balcony room or similar
*entry in the car show
*more spending money (shot my wad on room and tickets, had NO money for vendors this year)
*more food options? ice cream? shave ice?
*next year I am going to pack bubbles, I always forget.
*and yeah I hate to say it but I am not all that crazy about all the kids at this event. Seems like that is a 50/50 argument around here though. No right answer I guess.

View Profile of catmomma Send a personal message to catmomma  Goto the website of catmomma ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JudyLuck
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-29 9:00 pm   Permalink

I agree with Otto, and I also understand concern from audience members/parents. But as I said before when I gave my warning for tiki highway attendees... be aware of when burlesquers go on, if this is something that offends you or your children then don't expose them to it. That being said, it was a huge honor to perform burlesque and to go on first... while standing side stage I had little girls wave to me which was fun and awkward at the same time. I figured they must have just seen me as they would a Disney princess, and my act probably didn't phase them much, because they were dancing a long to my song.
Maybe next year they should just give more of a "warning" announcement so parents and put the kiddies to bed????
All in all... tiki oasis= amazing!!!!!!!

View Profile of JudyLuck Send a personal message to JudyLuck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid!
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-29 9:37 pm   Permalink

What an amazing 4 days!

The event was just fantastic- I have nothing but admiration for all those who helped put this together~

Thanks to Tiki Joe's Ocean for letting me play with fire on stage for 'em, to Dr. Sketchy's Anti-Art School For keeping me still for 3 hours (not an easy task! haha!), and to Swanky for inviting me to reprise my role as the 'Mai-Kai Mystery Girl' for the Mai-Kai Symposium. What a thrill~ It had been almost 9 years since I had performed that dance at the Mai-Kai during my dancing days there!! Sincerely hope I did the role justice...

Gracias entirely so mucho to Otto & Baby Doe- you have made so many people happy, working so hard to put this together every year-You and your staff are tremendous. Mahalo nui loa for making me a part of this great event!

It was such a pleasure performing for the Tiki Oasis crowds- Your kind words and warm reception only make me want to do even more for the next time- believe me-- I WILL do more!! LOOKOUT!

Thanks aplenty to Tangaroa Ru for taking such good care of this waterlogged nutter, and for being such an amazing room mate at the 'Sea Hag Suite'~
Thanks also to Crazy Al for being such the Tiki-Chivalric Knight to this Exoticat/Aquaticat Damsel. ~*My Hero!~*

Can't stop smiling--- Mahalo to all!

Much aloha,
Your AquaBondGirl~

Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid!

[ This Message was edited by: Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! 2011-08-29 21:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! 2011-08-29 22:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! 2011-08-30 00:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! 2011-08-30 00:46 ]

View Profile of Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid! Send a personal message to Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid!  Goto the website of Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid!     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NikkiNapalm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-30 12:17 am   Permalink

The Mai Kai's Hula girls are amazing to watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-00VCva1FPo

Way less sexual than burlesque, but still more modern and exciting than a super traditional, ancient hula dance. This would be a fantastic compromise for a daytime show. I see this idea akin to the traditional Mariachi band that had the pleasure of seeing this year (great idea, by the way!!)

I like the suggestion for there to be a menagerie of acts on stage. Silly beefcake dudes and/or fire-dancers or fire-spinners would be incredible.
-What about a vintage swimsuit contest; one for both men and women?
-Maybe even put together a little spy vs. spy comedy act on stage to go with the new theme?
-Someone else applauded my idea about the non-alcoholic bar that could serve soda pop, energy drinks, water bottles and mocktails...anyone else think that's a noteworthy idea? Would the hotel allow this?

View Profile of NikkiNapalm Send a personal message to NikkiNapalm      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava Kerwin

Posted: 2011-08-30 8:19 pm   Permalink

Let's stick to music on the main stage. I was relaxing until a hyped up dolt ran up and blocked my view trying to get a photo of a pastie. Lets save the shenanigans for the bungalows, room parties or Bali Hai stage. I almost spilled my rum. How uncouth.

View Profile of Kava Kerwin Send a personal message to Kava Kerwin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-01 10:03 am   Permalink

Oasis was such a blast. But not for everybody.

I found these pieces of a broken moai mug outside of Sabu The Coconut Boy's room party

It looks like someone's shattered dreams

(Not to be confused with the broken mug incident with the cut leg)

View Profile of TikiPug Send a personal message to TikiPug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-01 2:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-01 10:03, TikiPug wrote:
Oasis was such a blast. But not for everybody.

I found these pieces of a broken moai mug outside of Sabu The Coconut Boy's room party

It looks like someone's shattered dreams :(

(Not to be confused with the broken mug incident with the cut leg)

Not to put a damper on all the great input and recap posts here but the above reminded me that some of you may be wondering about the resolution of the FEW unpleasant incidences that occurred

The hotel was not happy about them but totally understanding and agree that 3 or 4 incidents is very tiny for such a large event.
The fallout is we will have almost double security which sucks door us ($$) and also creates a bad visual (I'd rather see great Aloha shirts and dolls dressed up with flowers in their hair than a security uniform!) but it means everyone will be able to party in peace

Two folks were asked not return for their digressions

The bleeding leg victim Tracy is doing fine after several hours in ER

Tomorrow night I will reveal the names of the sexist homophobic La Jolla surfers who started the elevator fight. If anyone has pics please post them

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-01 5:30 pm   Permalink

I think these few instances could be easily avoided if the Tiki community steps up a bit. I noticed little things that would help, like if you see some joker at a room party and he gets drinks without tipping, ask that person to leave. We have to hold people accountable in this community if we are ever going to rid ourselves of the clowns that just don't get it. If there are people doing things that you know are lame, say something to them. I do love this scene and noticed a big part of what makes it cool is that there are no "tough guy" types. I saw one younger guy trying to act tough, giving people the mad dog stare. No one bothered to respond to him.This basically invalidated his whole deal and he lightened up. No one has time for frat mentality b.s. I, for one, have no problem asking people to chill when they get out of line. I'm no tough guy. Anyone who knows me knows I do my best to turn the other cheek. I also have no problem protecting a scene that I enjoy and am involved heavily in. This sentiment isn't just for Tiki Oasis, it goes for any event I attend. Tiki Oasis is a big deal. I love it and will continue to attend and do my part to keep it as TC as I can. Maybe everyone needs to ask themselves if the scene is something they love do they want to help correct the problems or just complain and hope others will take care of it? I'm not suggesting anything stupid like violence. I'm suggesting being vocal at the events themselves and confronting negative aspects to try and resolve them.
Whew! That was exhausting.
Peace with every step.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-02 12:44 am   Permalink

Matt, thanks for stating what I had sort of thought was obvious. If you see someone who is acting inappropriate don't walk away or ignore them. Contact hotel security, Tiki Oasis security coordinator Dr. Shocker, or Tiki Oasis security. Or at the very least, take their picture and post it so we all know who they are.

On that note, here are names and photos of the four jokers who made sexist comments and anti-gay comments and started an unprovoked fight that resulted in an innocent bystander going to the emergency room:
Mark Schnieder, Hayden Britten, Trevor Watkins - aka Abalone Watkins, and Sterling Weatherley

none of these guys are wearing wristbands!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2196460785602&set=vb.1069705855&type=1&theater

here are stills from the video. If you know any of these people please PM me
Does anyone recognize Lafitte C-Way Marina T-shirt or this guys tattoos?

Here's what Mark Schneider looks like

Here are Sterling's tattoos

Sterling apparently is on the Tap Room surf team

here are a couple videos of him, this one shot by a guy named Tosh from PB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32zNu35nzFE&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur7IY_97yfc

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1069705855&sk=friends&v=friends

Here is Abalone Watkins facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000360577646&sk=photos

Mark's facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/msjr1987

[ This Message was edited by: Otto 2011-09-02 15:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Otto 2011-10-15 23:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Otto 2012-04-19 21:04 ]

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation