FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Goin'Primitive (Thanks to everyone who came to this little Oasis)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
Goin'Primitive (Thanks to everyone who came to this little Oasis)
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 10:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-03 18:23, bigbrotiki wrote:
Stellar, Ernie! From the outer reaches of Tiki space, this guy could have been a bar denizen on this planet:

Right on target again BigBro! However, lest anyone think Grog's clubs can hold a candle to...
here goes nothing, what is 'Going Primitive' without taking heads and slingin' poo!

here is my 2001 toy sculpt that i did for BurgerKing-Japan happy meal hand puppet movie promo...

that chainmail was a bitch and this sculpt was about the last commercial job I did. The toy industry took a hit at the time and i was starting to make as much for carving my tikis... if not more.

Groggie did a fantastic job at creating Davey Wong's character. I told him at Caliente he might have a future as a sculptor! However most likeness jobs are milled with a computer these days. Davey has done a few logos for my band APE.

speeking of APE... maybe Groggers can reference some nice glazes for the mug collection
here's a beaut' for primitive motif

my fave..

and Hip-hop hula gotz one. with a tiger pelt!

now that i got that out of the way....
I'm Suuuuuuuuper Excited about this Event! Perfect!!
when I graduated art school 20 years ago this year... I created CrazyAL's Bone Productions so i could live the bula life style and make 'primitive art'... soon i realized i could not compete with African and Indonesian imports and later Tikimania was born since no-one but Bosko and OA were dealing/creating in tiki stuff. Coco Joe's soon after went out of business. Now? I cant compete with Tiki imports or Buzzy or the Kirb Mi'ster

Bone Productions came from my collecting of bones and propensity for having them appear in my hair every day at the time.
here's a little crazy beard from 1993...you think mine looks crapy now...LOL...that's about all the face produced in the 90's,

didn't stop me then... look at me now... just add bones!! (to preserve the hair on my head, I moved the daily bones to the beard knowing that wouldn't be a sad loss)

stolen from face book.... thanks Mandy!
i have that '93 bone (drift-wood) some were in a box... I'll have to dig it up!
the wahine? she tired of the crazy life style and canoed off crazy island... she might like this event and paddle back! nice!

funny that on the same 'roll of film' that the Planet of the Apes head was on was the pics of c.AL Tiki #29 and a 4-6 foot bula shack i made for a commercial ad. shoot. Later all this OA stuff decorated the first Tiki Oasis stage and the appearance of APE on it in 2003. I referred my buddy Joe to make the shrunken heads because of the deadline. He made more on 4 heads then i did on the whole job. I really should learn how to bid jobs.

I was going to recreate this at the first Mojave Gathering for my 'tent'... but i decided to wait and Go Primitive instead!!

What a blast we had out at the big MO last time!
Seeeeeeeeee Ya Alllllll There! that is if I'm invited back after a goofy post like this...
Amy fired me once already!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2x_EOlGYd0

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2011-05-25 07:39 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-05-25 01:46 am   Permalink

Al, you're in better shape now than you were then. Proof some things do get better with age.

Killer Planet of the Apes sculpt. GROG glad GROG not have to do that for the Goin' Primitive mug!

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2011-05-25 02:16 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 07:23 am   Permalink

well it takes a bit of effort to get into caveman shape. (and that photo is under lit with the flash)
I just finished a grueling 3 years of no sleep etc... i called it Art Center AIDS because most of the folks I new had some kind of sickness by graduation.
They didn't have any sculpting classes, I started sculpting my 'illustrations' and getting A's for my scholarship!! I think the teachers were blown away and didn't know how to grade me I guess. Sculpting re leaved some of the stress but took away more of the sleep

This sculpt is supremeo! can'ty wait to see it finished!!

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2011-05-25 07:29 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-25 07:30 am   Permalink

Al, when are you going to write an autobio? I think that would be an interesting read!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 07:40 am   Permalink

that's what TC is for....
there will be a lot of this propaganda coming out of the BoneProductions Camp!
It was about 23 years ago that someone called me CrazyAL... and introduced me to tiki collecting. It's all bioed out in the TikiMag artical here...
http://www.tikimania.com/docs/TikiMag.html

so every thing I've done 'Tiki'-wise will be a 20th anniversary from that point on... meeting Otto etc...
this one is 20 years old this summer i believe... Santa Barbara Banana Plantation. And yes I'm 'commando' in this shot... long story for next post....

that grass skirt I stole from my sister who brought it back for Hawaii in 1972...It never did wrap completely around me all so good as it was meant for a 7 year old. I still got that too.... what is left of it. Many parties were left with bits of Hawaii at them... or wherever that skirt was made, LOL

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2011-05-25 08:33 ]

Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 08:22 am   Permalink

We can't fire you Al, your one of a kind and you worked yourself into the fabric of the master plan. But I agree with Grog.
From seeing the before and after photo,I have to know how a starving artist can afford Roids!!! Now Dig that.

W

My voice and braincells are just coming back from TC3.

P.S. You brought the roof down faster then a piece of Bamboo Ben construction.

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 1:11 pm   Permalink

Al, you are one of a kind...... Did I really fire you? On another note I thought you did a masterful Job at Caliente, and at Mojave, so thank you for that. We expect nothing less then amazing for Goin Primitive!We know you wont disappoint us.

On the Mug, I would like to think we are just spreading the love. You are an amazing Carver, Squid,Babalu, Wendy, Tikidiable, Gecko, Kirby, Gogo and Danny, Eric October, Tiki Farm and their designers and others, I can't even name all the artists who Mugs I have in My collection.

Rory and I for our new event together wanted to go with someone we didn't use in our own events to keep them separate. We wanted to use someone we like and think has moved to the level of doing a run of event Mugs..... Grog was our man! His Mugs of late have been amazing, fun, whimsical and different. His rendition of the Original art is amazing and we are proud of him as an artist and honored that he would accept a job taking on someone Else's art. Very hard indeed for any great artist. We are excited to promote him and his amazing Mug.

Of all the years I have been in Tiki and of all the art, Mugs, Tikis, etc I have bought, I am always happy when someone tries something new and does good. It keeps me excited and is a great addition to the tried and true heavy hitters who started this hobby, made it what it is and inspires the rest of the pack

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 1:31 pm   Permalink

Grog's our Man! Caveman that is... I've got several mugs to get in the works plenty to do! just got to get to it. The next one has been in the works for a while now and it's on APE tooooooooooooo......... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm???

This Event is a long time coming.... GOooooooooooooo PRIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiMITIVE!

that little bone there is well over 20 years old... maybe the fad with finally catch on!

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2011-05-25 15:04 ]

GROG

Posted: 2011-05-25 1:47 pm   Permalink

20 years old!! The ads on TV said you should see a doctor if you have one longer than 4 hours. You should get that checked, Al!

Thanks everybody for the props on the mug and all the compliments GROG got at Tiki Caliente when people saw the wax master. GROG making plaster production molds now, and they'll have to dry out about a week, and then GROG will be able to start pouring greenware so GROG can get started on A.P. color tests to figure out the glazes for this bastard.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 2:08 pm   Permalink

YAY! Ernie's getting famous!
and not for his fannypack either!
Hooray!
Great looking mug,by the way!
Eagerly awaiting to see it progress to a finished product!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 3:00 pm   Permalink

After Grog finishes these mugs Im sure he will be wearing a bone in his flowing locks too .

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 11:52 am   Permalink

I am starting to go over the list of people that payed deposits and requested spot's.
I may be contacting you by email in the next couple of days to get a headcount for your trailer or Tents.
Please remember the Vintage Trailer on grounds only hold 2 people each and each one is set up different then the next.

Try to get a head count buy the time you pay for the package.....the rates are less

This is the breakdown for Pre-sales

kids 40.00
extra one day pass 99.00
extra person 75.00
tents 125.00
trailers they bring 165.00
our trailers 275.00

if you want to add on Thursday in will be $50 for the space No extra per person.

This group will be contacted directly from me (Rory Snyder) and then sales will go through the Mojave Oasis Website.....ONLY there website.

any questions please P.M. Me

I will be scanning a map in the next day or two.

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2011-05-26 12:41 pm   Permalink

Here's the final wax sculpt which is what GROG brought to Tiki Caliente as a preview/promo. The big bump on top of the fezz is the pour spout for the mold.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2011-05-26 12:44 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-26 2:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-25 13:11, Queen Kamehameha wrote:
...We wanted to use someone we like and think has moved to the level of doing a run of event Mugs..... Grog was our man! His Mugs of late have been amazing, fun, whimsical and different. His rendition of the Original art is amazing and we are proud of him as an artist and honored that he would accept a job taking on someone Else's art. Very hard indeed for any great artist. We are excited to promote him and his amazing Mug.

Well said Amy! And well done GROG! Nice subtle texture on the fez, you got some approx dimensions for us?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 2:06 pm   Permalink

Size? Big ass!!!!! Bigger then my massive Tiki Caliente 3 Mug.....

Use 2 hands

W

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation