FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Have We Just Experienced the Latest Wave of a Tiki Resurgence, and resulting Devolution?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Have We Just Experienced the Latest Wave of a Tiki Resurgence, and resulting Devolution?
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 09:05 am   Permalink

Nicely philosophized, trutiki. "Fortifying the fulcrum", I like that! But we may lament the fact that some folks think that over-colorized party store Tikis represent all there is, right?

Quote:

On 2011-04-25 03:03, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
I don't know enough to add much to this thread. But isn't it a bit unique that this tiki movement, or whatever you want to call it, includes not only collecting artifacts, studying history, creating new art, but also the expectation that others will open and maintain bars/restaurants devoted to the movement.

This stems from the fact that Tiki style is, as far as I can see, the only pop culture that was firmly based on restaurant decor. It was the restaurants who introduced Tiki images to the people on a larger scale. It was the restaurants who had the money to go all out in the style, and thus inspired people to build their own backyard or downstairs Polynesias, and it was the restaurants that made developers utilize concepts like waterfalls, Tiki torches, and Tiki support posts for apartment buildings and motels. Only when that happened did Tiki become a pop genre BEYOND restaurants - but it is they who were the inventors of the style's language.

Quote:

On 2011-04-25 07:14, christiki295 wrote:
Alternatively, Polynesian cuisine could be considered its own genre like Chinese or Indian, yet these are linked to an ethnic group, whereas Tiki does not necessarily equate to Pacific Islander. If anything, the waitresses wear Chinese-inspired gowns, and the menu has such Chinese mainstays as Kung Pao Chicken.

And here-in lies the crux and the contradiction for 21st Century Tiki restaurants: We want them to have the old classic Tiki temple decor, but we don't want to eat that ol' Chinese MSG glob there anymore. They have to come up with a Pacific rim modern version of that cuisine that makes them special, because nowadays there is ten-fold competition from all the other exotic cuisines available to the customer, while back in the mid-century, Chinese food was the most exotic food you could find.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-04-25 09:07 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
trutiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-25 09:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

But we may lament the fact that some folks think that over-colorized party store Tikis represent all there is, right?

My 18" Wacky Wobbler tiki bobblehead is nodding in complete agreement.

View Profile of trutiki Send a personal message to trutiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 10:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-25 09:05, bigbrotiki wrote:

And here-in lies the crux and the contradiction for 21st Century Tiki restaurants: We want them to have the old classic Tiki temple decor, but we don't want to eat that ol' Chinese MSG glob there anymore. They have to come up with a Pacific rim modern version of that cuisine that makes them special, because nowadays there is ten-fold competition from all the other exotic cuisines available to the customer, while back in the mid-century, Chinese food was the most exotic food you could find.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-04-25 09:07 ]

Hey, Speak for yourself buddy. I LOVE that ol' Chinese MSG glob. The TIKIYAKI EGG ROLL COMPANY proudly endorses deep fried Cantonese goodness. Ask anyone who's had one. They are the first thing to disappear at the party. With the current fad of bacon being all the rage, it's only a matter of time before Old School Cantonese will resurface....golden dragons, red lanterns and all....

http://tikiyakiairways.com/history.htm

http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2011-04-25 10:10 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cdtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-25 10:22 am   Permalink

You hit the nail on the head Tikiyaki.
Power to the Pu pu platter.

View Profile of cdtiki Send a personal message to cdtiki  Email cdtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 10:29 am   Permalink

Hey, if places like this.... http://www.heartattackgrill.com/index.html .....can exist, I have hope for real old school cantonese.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 10:39 am   Permalink

Ouh my gaaaawd! I forgot, people here are into the weirdest things!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 10:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-25 10:29, tikiyaki wrote:
...I have hope for real old school cantonese.

Definitely a vanishing breed in LA, but it has its fans...

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/545283

I grew up on Far East Cafe, New Moon, Paul's Kitchen, etc. I love the stuff but a (Chinese) ex-GF was horrified. She called the places "chinky" Chinese.

My friend's uncle owns this place which might be worth a Tiki expedition...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hong-kong-inn-ventura

Sorry for the further derail.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 10:49 am   Permalink

Just know this Sven...we are being poisoned daily by the food companies. Check your basic bread and rolls ,cereal, soft drinks, COCKTAIL DRINK MIXERS etc....
HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. ...even in the most unlikely of foods. We consume it daily...it's WAY worse for you than MSG.

The worst part is, Chinese restaurants take the bad rap for MSG, but most fast food places use it....read here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

Anyway, sorry for the derail. Give me Cantonese or give me death !

TIKIYAKI EGG ROLLS, proudly clogging your arteries with Aloha since 1951 !

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 11:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-25 10:49, tikiyaki wrote:
Just know this Sven...we are being poisoned daily by the food companies. Check your basic bread and rolls ,cereal, soft drinks, COCKTAIL DRINK MIXERS etc....
HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. ...even in the most unlikely of foods. We consume it daily...it's WAY worse for you than MSG.

The worst part is, Chinese restaurants take the bad rap for MSG, but most fast food places use it....read here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

Anyway, sorry for the derail. Give me Cantonese or give me death !

TIKIYAKI EGG ROLLS, proudly clogging your arteries with Aloha since 1951 !

I gotta definitely agree with Jimmy on this one! Those trips to "chinese" restaurants with my family during the early 70's were the most fun, and the most I looked forward to going out to eat! back then, every restaurant was dark inside! There were no "wraps" and no Thai/fusion whatever on the menu...it was sweet and sour pork, and soft drinks with plastic monkeys or paper parasol in them. The sweet sauce on half those dishes tasted like hawaiian punch concentrate! Simply fabulous!

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2011-04-25 11:29 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 11:44 am   Permalink

Ha, take THIS, you Egg-rollers!:

Guys, you don't have to convince me of nuthin', I am not a "Foodie". I was talking in general terms with "we", as in "we today". And there are people here, like Bongo Bungalow as a restaurateur, that have to heed the public's changing food palates.

But Jim's and now Lucas' enthusiasm reminds me of the fact that there must be still a whole generation or two out there that have fond memories of such food. And since Chinese restaurants were even more ubiquitous than Tiki temples throughout the U.S., maybe it is time to bring back an expressively mid-century Chinese restaurant concept, marketing itself on being "old style" - maybe sans the unhealthy part, or maybe even proudly touting it!

Oh, and John-O....

Quote:

On 2011-04-25 10:44, JOHN-O wrote:
My friend's uncle owns this place which might be worth a Tiki expedition...
http://www.yelp.com/biz/hong-kong-inn-ventura

This is Bongofury's turf, and has seen various TC gathering over the years:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11530&forum=1

Do you know if they still have Polynesian floor shows?

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-04-25 12:12 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 11:50 am   Permalink

"Have We Just Experienced the Latest Wave of a Tiki Resurgence TC THREAD, and ITS resulting Devolution?"

aquarj
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 1:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-25 11:50, bigbrotiki wrote:
"Have We Just Experienced the Latest Wave of a Tiki Resurgence TC THREAD, and ITS resulting Devolution?"

Here's my analysis of your analysis of this thread's analysis of the waves of tiki: It's meta-rrific!

Couple comments on some of the milestones...

• Taboo Cove closing. Not sure that's really a significant event in the scheme of things. The death of neat design concepts due to poorly executed business plans seems to be par for the course in Las Vegas. However, I think the point may have been that it was one of the best early examples of a fully realized atmosphere by one of the artists from the modern tiki "movement" (kudos to Bosko!). And as such, it was sad that it didn't last. Old Taboo Cove thread for reading pleasure.

• House Industries tiki fonts. Although I am too lazy to look up when those came out (2001?), I think the influence of the House tiki collection as a graphical toolkit is highly underrated. For better or worse, the fonts and especially the clipart tiki images spawned wave upon wave of "watered down" tiki products at Target, Big Lots, etc. They're beautifully done, and thus very appealing when used on packaging, and even pseudo art objects. I remember seeing custom tiki "art" cards in a giftshop in Kauai, which just directly used the House clipart. It's a funny indirect effect, because probably the talented people at House get very little proportional return from the mountain of geegaws, t-shirts, and other stuff that has used their imagery. Pure speculation, but I kinda think that the availability of their tiki imagery may have actually been a contributor to the product decisions in the following years by the companies making discount tiki junk (sorry - I mean "fine tiki artifacts"). Just as BOT images were poached for a fair number of products, the House tiki collection was even easier to use. It's a strange kind of devolution when the original source artwork is great, but the product range on which it gets used descends several steps downward.

• Oasis and Hukilau. JOHN-O pointed out some of the new events that have arisen since 2004, with resounding success. But even more indicative is the continued success and growth of the old events. If we were experiencing the receding waters of the most recent tiki wave, one would expect to see these events fading away or holding steady. But they've grown enormously, certainly since 2004. What may have started as a ragtag collection of shared interests among various hipster groups (modcom, incredibly strange music / exotica, etc.) transformed into this thing that keeps drawing more and more people in and uniting more parallel interests ("cocktailians", rockabillies, garage-niks, burly-q's, etc.). Theoretically that might not have much bearing on the core TIKI question of whether there's sustained life for bars and restaurants done "right" with tiki style. But aside from the continual churn in the waters of the hospitality business, it seems pretty clear that we're still in the growth phase in that respect too.

Maybe the ones most qualified to comment on the bigger trends are the modern day Barney Wests and Milan Guankos (like Bamboo Ben, Tiki Diablo, and others). And of course Oceanic Arts - as far as I know the ONLY people to bridge both the modern phenomenon and the original era that many of us analyze and dream of. But maybe they're too busy to comment! (And wouldn't that be the best comment in itself?)

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 2:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-25 13:49, aquarj wrote:
tiki fonts

...danger!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar 2011-04-25 14:16 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 3:26 pm   Permalink

For those who are not familiar with the House Industries font kit that Randy mentioned:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=23398&forum=1&vpost=293353

The easiness of having pre-fab fonts and Tiki icons available with a computer click made this kit a fave for mass-manufactured Tiki items.
The great thing was that the art work and fonts were well done - as all House Industries work is.

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 3:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-25 11:44, bigbrotiki wrote:

Ha, take THIS, you Egg-rollers!:

Guys, you don't have to convince me of nuthin', I am not a "Foodie". I was talking in general terms with "we", as in "we today". And there are people here, like Bongo Bungalow as a restaurateur, that have to heed the public's changing food palates.

But Jim's and now Lucas' enthusiasm reminds me of the fact that there must be still a whole generation or two out there that have fond memories of such food. And since Chinese restaurants were even more ubiquitous than Tiki temples throughout the U.S., maybe it is time to bring back an expressively mid-century Chinese restaurant concept, marketing itself on being "old style" - maybe sans the unhealthy part, or maybe even proudly touting it!

Sven, you're KILLIN' ME ! You've been holding out on us....I've never seen you post this before. I can't believe there was a TIKI EGG ROLL joint. Amazing.
OK, that's on the time machine list.

Any more info on this?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation