FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Brady Bunch Tiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Brady Bunch Tiki
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 9:03 pm   Permalink

The Brady Bunch Tiki episode is on now! Got to go!

Kreaky

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sungod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-28 9:08 pm   Permalink

Saw it earlier today on TV Land. Totally forgot about Vincent Price being in it.

Sungod

View Profile of sungod Send a personal message to sungod  Email sungod Goto the website of sungod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-29 07:01 am   Permalink

Does anyone know who carved the nice tikis on the show? Where are those artifacts now........?

I need to get those three island episodes on tape or DVD so I can run them in the house, during my summer luaus!

Kreaky Tiki

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-29 10:47 am   Permalink

Speaking of Brady tiki, I was watching KTLA this morning and Greg and Cindy Brady were being interviewed about "retro stuff" and on the table in front of them was a tiki mug!

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzywong
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-29 6:24 pm   Permalink

http://davidbrady.com/eb/buncheps4.html

Above is a link I have been having with some limited info on those episodes.

View Profile of suzywong Send a personal message to suzywong  Email suzywong     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzywong
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-29 6:24 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: suzywong on 2003-05-29 18:24 ]

View Profile of suzywong Send a personal message to suzywong  Email suzywong     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-29 11:20 pm   Permalink

"One night of love" perfume. Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-30 1:17 pm   Permalink

Here is a dissertation on the brady tiki I found years ago while surfing the net. I do not know who wrote it, but it cracks me up!.....

"Why Does the "Hawaiian" Episode of The Brady Bunch So Haunt Us?
No sooner does the child of the seventies hear the word "taboo" than rings in his ear a five note palindrome, tapped out on a Bontempi organ ("recorder" setting), and best approximated verbally by the phrase "diddle-iddle-oo". The music passes, often unnoted, and the young person resumes his discourse on the kinship traditions of southern Africa's !Kung society, shaking off an inexplicable chill. This phenomenon is no accident. It is my task to show how the creators of The Brady Bunch exposed their society's psychosexual norms as fragile make-shift seawalls, unfit to protect us from even the slightest of the universe's self-assertive tidal waves.

The episode-proper begins when an idol is found on a Hawaiian construction site. A young laborer scoffs at a wizened crone's talk of "taboo" (diddle-iddle-oo) and "bad luck"; he tosses the artifact into the grass. It is here, where men are excavating--hollowing out an artificial womb in the great mother to erect a phallic monument to male intellect, science, and capitalism--that Bobby finds the talisman, calling it "neat". Mother nature has given birth to a tiny charm (admired by Bobby for its outward, aesthetic form), which is actually a radioactive source of blind Dionysian amorality.

When Jan puts the idol in her bag, a hideous island spider follows, contaminating Jan's pristine womb and breaking the sanctity of her virginity. Jan--an everygirl archetype--becomes an unknowing carrier of uterine filth. Jan's defilement is heinous because she is the protected middle child, nestled safely between Cindy (the Magic Child) and Marsha (the Femme Fatale). Through the idol, nature has shown the idealized Jan to be a social lie, a virginal pretender made doubly laughable by her ignorance of her sin. This theme finds resonance in Jan's fellow middle child, Alice. (For analysis of Alice's sibling rivalry with her elder sister Myrtle in Seattle, see The Brady Bunch, "Monkey in the Middle").

While hula dancing, in a grotesque attempt to emulate the lithe pagan nymphs of Honolulu, Alice experiences a pain in her side: a displaced menstrual cramp in an apparently sexlesss, post-menopausal matriarch. By attempting to "go native" in a grass skirt, Alice has ventured ouside her role of Domestic Virgin Mother. Once again, cthonian narure mocks the dubious sexual masks the members of this microcosmic "bunch" ritually wear.

The idol is responsible for several near-deaths. While Peter and Bobby engage in homo-erotic horseplay on their hotel bed, they are almost crushed by a gigantic wall-hanging. The artifact has brought out the latent libidos of the family's two youngest males, and consequerntly, they are almost annihilated by society's rigid law, represented by the heavy piece of iron artwork.

The idol has its most chilling effect on Greg, the muscular Beautiful Boy of Golden Age Athens, who uses his long, sleek surfboard with consummate skill and strength (the epitome of classical arrete) to conquer the angry Pacific Ocean, representative of the uncharted and deadly liquid reality of female nature. But it is nature's talisman he wears, and so he must fall, knocked senseless by his own phallic instrument. That Mike must save the failed youth from drowning in the chaotic sea perverts the Telemachean search for father, which always ends in water. Greg emerges, limp and waterlogged, utterly conquered and robbed of his virility by an indifferent female opponent. One can read the disgust on Mike's face.

Salvation, such as it its, is finally found in the person of a mysterious, overtly homosexual father figure (Vincent Price), who first holds the boys in his hermit womb of asocial contemplation, but eventully gives in to the architect father's "calm cool reasoning". (For analysis of Mike's failure to appease Buddy Hinton's barbarian father, and the ultimate victory of Peter's brute violence, see The Brady Bunch, "Baby-talk, Baby-talk").

Thus, civilized, Apollonian norms appear to win out, with the outcast hermit's reabsoption into society and the "sensible" reconfiguration of all the horrifying misfortunes as "good luck". In other words, the magic is clearly not destroyed, but only rechristened by a terrified intellectual patriarch seeking to regain his family's faith in an unnamed Providence and a benevolent universe. The "taboo" (diddle-iddle-oo) cannot be destroyed, but only reburied and reset in an innocuous commemorative matrix, until such time as another luckless bastard unearths it, once again unfettering its chaotic influence. This episode is our momento mori, a keepsake to remind us that our heroic efforts to "somehow form a family" are always contingent on keeping the death's-head of "taboo" (diddle-iddle-oo) underground, and therefore, they are doomed."

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sungod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-30 2:46 pm   Permalink

Sounds like that person had too much time on their hands and not enough drink.

Sungod

View Profile of sungod Send a personal message to sungod  Email sungod Goto the website of sungod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-30 5:56 pm   Permalink

I think I'm going to paint a Tiki on the face of my cell phone and sample the "diddle-iddle-oo" as the ring tone.

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-31 01:00 am   Permalink

Tiki King, Lovely piece! I sure hope that my family and I, do not live next door to him. He sounds like a pedophile.

cheers,

KT

So_Cal_Native_in_Texas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-03 6:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-30 13:17, Tiki King wrote:
Here is a dissertation on the brady tiki I found years ago while surfing the net. I do not know who wrote it, but it cracks me up!.....

"Why Does the "Hawaiian" Episode of The Brady Bunch So Haunt Us?

That was PRICELESS! I couldn't get barely halfway before I was in absolute stitches, laughing so hard I cried! Dear God I hope that was satire -- if it was serious the guy's got some major problems, but as satire it's beautiful! Thanks so much for posting that!

Movies I Own On DVD|School of Soul

View Profile of So_Cal_Native_in_Texas Send a personal message to So_Cal_Native_in_Texas  Goto the website of So_Cal_Native_in_Texas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain Ambience
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-06-04 10:27 pm   Permalink

The movie remake treatment of the tiki episode was certainly a buzzkill wasn't it?

View Profile of Captain Ambience Send a personal message to Captain Ambience  Email Captain Ambience Goto the website of Captain Ambience     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
inkylouise
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-06-07 10:35 pm   Permalink

I always wondered if there were collage diissertaitions written on such subjects, and now I know...

I hope the bastard got an A.

View Profile of inkylouise Send a personal message to inkylouise      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-13 2:31 pm   Permalink

Who was it who told the horror story of his thwarted attempt to replicate the BB tiki necklace? I found myself recounting that story just yesterday...

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation