FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Has anyone noticed that Trader Vic's LA Live is not as popular as the YardHouse?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Has anyone noticed that Trader Vic's LA Live is not as popular as the YardHouse?
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-07 8:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-07 18:17, bongofury wrote:
McDonalds and Burger King are more popular than our local Hamburger Habit or Burger Barn but there is a difference. Quality over cost. I would rather pay a couple of bucks more for something better....food or drink. Never been to the Yardhouse and no plans for them in the future. But we do need a trip to Trader Vic's!

Quality over cost, true, but I wish TV could receive some of the revenue being spent next door as they have to pay rent and salaries, too.

Also, it just seems a shame for so many to choose corporate blandness over Trader Vics, but one can't merely wish the world were different.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-09 1:30 pm   Permalink

You all have it wrong in my not so humble opinion. The real reason that the Yardhouse doesn't fluster the kids like Trader Vic's does. Bunch of Wimps!

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-09 2:54 pm   Permalink

Honestly when I heard they were moving Trader Vic's to the Nokia LIVE, I felt it was a wrong location for this place. When it was in Beverly Hills at least it was fitting for such a classy meal and ambiance. Now when I go it's usually a bunch of a douchebags at the bar being completely rude to all the other patrons. I still go when I can, but I really hope for the best in their survival down there. They are an important piece of LA Tiki History!

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-09 9:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-09 14:54, carlosrossi wrote:
Honestly when I heard they were moving Trader Vic's to the Nokia LIVE, I felt it was a wrong location for this place. When it was in Beverly Hills at least it was fitting for such a classy meal and ambiance. Now when I go it's usually a bunch of a douchebags at the bar being completely rude to all the other patrons. I still go when I can, but I really hope for the best in their survival down there. They are an important piece of LA Tiki History!

Funny, you mention that as the Beverly Hills location was always mobbed.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-10 05:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-07 18:04, Brudda Bear wrote:

Everybody knows that NOBODY walks in LA

nobody walks in a lei

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-11 9:16 pm   Permalink

I don't know if this is a bad thing or a good thing:

Over at Trader Vic's in downtown's L.A. Live on Tuesday when the Lakers would have played Game 5 against the Dallas Mavericks at neighboring Staples Center just nine people were seated in the lounge of the tropical-themed restaurant, and a party of 10 was finishing up in the back dining room. Typically, there's at least a two-hour wait for a table on game nights, owner John Valencia said.

"As a fan, I'm extremely disappointed, but as an owner, it's pretty devastating for business," he said. "We're event-driven, and when you have a Laker game on standby and it doesn't happen, it's very difficult to backfill."

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-12 08:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-11 21:16, christiki295 wrote:
"As a fan, I'm extremely disappointed, but as an owner, it's pretty devastating for business," he said. "We're event-driven, and when you have a Laker game on standby and it doesn't happen, it's very difficult to backfill."

Funny, that quote appeared in the LA Times this morning in an article on the loss of business due to the Lakers exit from the playoffs.

Well, you know what they say: Any press is good press.

I stopped by Trader Vic's last week early before a Laker game. The drinks were good. The place was quiet but gearing up for the mad rush at 6:00. It's too bad they did not get an inside presence in the center.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-16 07:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-12 08:10, Dustycajun wrote:

It's too bad they did not get an inside presence in the center.

DC

Actually I like seeing TikiDiablo's giant Tikis whenever I drive by!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-16 2:42 pm   Permalink

That's very nice. Then why do you feel the need to resurrect a thread that touts the "lack of popularity" of this Tiki bar all over the internet? I know it was not your intention, but this is what comes through primarily by the way it is titled. I trust your concern is genuine, but I flinch each time I see this headline pop up again.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-16 9:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-16 14:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
That's very nice. Then why do you feel the need to resurrect a thread that touts the "lack of popularity" of this Tiki bar all over the internet? I know it was not your intention, but this is what comes through primarily by the way it is titled. I trust your concern is genuine, but I flinch each time I see this headline pop up again.

LOL, BigBro, and I thought I was worried!
Hopefully, the Gods will be amused, and my concern will spread positive karhma to help those make the correct choice.

That and I am chastened by so many Tiki meccas which I have been to, which are no longer here:
Taboo Cove/Venus in Vegas, Hawaiian Hut in Honolulu, Hukilau in Sacramento, Wan-Q in LA, Drift in Scottsdale, etc., that I am alarmed when I now sense that a large investment is having issues, particularly compared to the bland corporate chain next door.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-21 9:02 pm   Permalink

Maybe the bottom line is that 20 - 30 somethings want more drinks than expensive dinners?
Maybe drinks and beer have much higher profit margins?
Whatever the difference is, I wish TVLALive would have figured it out.

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-23 1:23 pm   Permalink

For those that missed it,
discussion of the LA Trader Vics closing starting at the bottom of this page:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=29701&forum=2&start=60

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-30 08:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-12 08:10, Dustycajun wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-05-11 21:16, christiki295 wrote:

Funny, that quote appeared in the LA Times this morning in an article on the loss of business due to the Lakers exit from the playoffs.

Well, you know what they say: Any press is good press.

I stopped by Trader Vic's last week early before a Laker game. The drinks were good. The place was quiet but gearing up for the mad rush at 6:00. It's too bad they did not get an inside presence in the center.

DC

It may be no coincidence that TVLA closed near the end of the Lakers worst season in franchise history, when attendance was down and those who did attend the games was no longer a fun, celebratory experience, but more like going to identify a body at a morgue.

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-30 11:26 am   Permalink

"Maybe the bottom line is that 20 - 30 somethings want more drinks than expensive dinners?
Maybe drinks and beer have much higher profit margins?"

It's because romance and mystery has left their lives.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-31 11:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-30 11:26, Cammo wrote:
It's because romance and mystery has left their lives.

No doubt this is partly caused by the frickin' 35 minutes of ads per hour we have to watch on broadcast and cable TV channels nowadays.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation