FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Tiki Bar to be Named has a name WIKI-TIKI BAR
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
The Tiki Bar to be Named has a name WIKI-TIKI BAR
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-14 11:09 am   Permalink

Wow. You really do want your bread buttered on both sides, don't you?

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-14 5:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-14 11:09, Brudda Bear wrote:
Wow. You really do want your bread buttered on both sides, don't you?

Bear

I was complaining about shipping costs for the material, who cares now...material is on its way!

BACK FROM VACATION....SERENITY IS HERE NOW.....

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-06-14 17:51 ]

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-06-25 06:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-06-25 06:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-07-18 04:20 ]

View Profile of newB24 Send a personal message to newB24      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-26 1:55 pm   Permalink

Here we are back from vacation and spent some time in the bar just messing around waiting on material arrival.

Wife and I put all the puzzle pieces to the bar top down and drank a few cocktails.

I think it turned out pretty good. A buddy has my air compressor so need to get that back and will get it all nailed down.

Lots of wood filler to be used and lots of sanding to do but I am ultra excited at how it is turning out.

Funny how you just look around and imagine how it is all going to tie together....I got big plans for the white cabinet, going to get stripped down and redone!

View Profile of newB24 Send a personal message to newB24      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-26 2:02 pm   Permalink

I think we may have a name for the bar, the boys 5 and 6, really want to name it the Wiki-Tiki Bar and Grill. It is not like Wikipedia, but like the Scooby Doo episode, pronounced 'weaki'

Not sure I have a choice...I think it is done...

Now to come up with a cool bar sign

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-12 07:50 am   Permalink

Well, got my shipment of material in yesterday, I think it took the slow boat over, but it is finally here and I am ready to start!

I'll add some photos after lunch...

1. I need to paint the bar walls some color, seen people do the buttercream or green, need to decide that
2. I need to pick some flooring for the room, anyone ever see or use Naturestone?
3. I'm plan on leaving the walls blue and the ceiling white, not sure how much bleed through I will have
4. Devil is in the details, trying to figure out how to trim out the room and make the foot rests for the bar
5. Need to procure some rope for wrapping bamboo and supporting the 2.5" stuff and making my awning
6. I managed to find some 6" long screws for installing the 4.5" bamboo to the ceiling
7. Need to know how to deal with this soffit jog.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-12 09:02 am   Permalink

I got no answers, just encouragement. It make me smile to see your enthusiasm, keep up the good work and post progress pics when you got'em.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-12 10:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-12 09:02, MadDogMike wrote:
I got no answers, just encouragement. It make me smile to see your enthusiasm, keep up the good work and post progress pics when you got'em.

I know, I got problems but it makes the hours go by fast when you think about a million things at once!

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-12 10:15 am   Permalink

Shipment in the garage...took quite a beating coming over here, lots of bamboo got crushed, especially the 1/2 round stuff.

So here is the bar top installed, I have some of the patching complete, need to patch some more and then sand like h e l l!!!

Here is the 1/2 round bamboo on the top....I think daddy likey....

Jury is still out on the tortoise shell bamboo paneling...lots of color, which is what I think I wanted. Should be a good contrast to the lauhala.

The thatch for the awning....LOVE IT!

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-13 12:46 pm   Permalink

"So where am I now? Trying to procure the major materials, what a pain. Spent another hour at lunch calling around to craft and specialty wood stores trying to find something local, yeah right.."Did you say Thatch?" Yes I did, "I have no idea what you are talking about?!". Seems everything that is worth anything is in CALIFORNIA!"

Guess where I send 50% of the lights I make and sell to?
Yep California.
Looks like I live 1 hour away from you.
Most of the things you are looking for local like bamboo will only be found early in the season
like spring time.
Bamboo cracks so the stores don't buy much if any bamboo.
Those that do buy bamboo get a small amt so they don't get
stuck with a bunch of bamboo no body wants.
Plus not a big demand for bamboo here.
I get my bamboo from,You guessed it California.
Good luck!!!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-13 1:12 pm   Permalink

So in my hunt for materials I asked my brother if he knew of any sources, he says sure a guy he knows has some that he is looking to get rid of. $10 per roll. I say sure, get me 2 rolls, $20 won't hurt this budget.

Well he made the delivery today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, got 2 of these big boys.....now how to fit it into the design somewhere!

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-13 1:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-13 12:46, tikiskip wrote:
"
Guess where I send 50% of the lights I make and sell to?
Yep California.
Looks like I live 1 hour away from you.

OK, gotta know how much you charge for those lamps (like the netting and glass bulb ones) and which direction are you an hour away to (north south east or west)?

You can PM me if you like

newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-17 5:35 pm   Permalink

well I would say construction has officially started, the actual bar was just a pet project to wet the whistle.

I got the soffit all ready and completed...

Here is my inspiration for the project

Here are the tools: The sponge...not sure I am spongeworthy but I did my best...

I'm not an artist, but here is the stencils I made...

I painted the soffit "GOLD COIN".....

and used an "ESPRESSO" paint color for my stomping.....

I did all 3 sides of the soffit.

Well what do y'all think?

I'm pretty pleased.... good thing it is not supposed to look perfect!

I actually got the base molding stained and that will really kick construction into high gear but don't start the blender quite yet, opening night will be around Thanksgiving!

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-07-17 17:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: newB24 2011-07-17 17:57 ]

The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-17 5:52 pm   Permalink

Wow . . . that's fantastic! I'll bet you are really pleased . . . I would be! Again, wow!

Aloha and okole maluna!

The Blue Kahuna

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Mitch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-19 08:40 am   Permalink

Nice work on the soffit, it looks great! The only thing I would add is a brownish glaze to give it a little "patina"
Thanks for sharing your progress with us. Keep those pics coming!

View Profile of Trader Mitch Send a personal message to Trader Mitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-19 09:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-19 08:40, Trader Mitch wrote:
Nice work on the soffit, it looks great! The only thing I would add is a brownish glaze to give it a little "patina"
Thanks for sharing your progress with us. Keep those pics coming!

Interesting enough, I don't know all the tricks of the trade to get this to look just right, really appreciate the info and the time checking out my little build!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation