FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » OHANA 2012-Official Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
OHANA 2012-Official Thread
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-17 2:16 pm   Permalink

I can almost feel the sun in Lake George from my computer monitor!

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-09 06:50 am   Permalink

We've been working to get things in line for Ohana 2012 & I am very happy to say that we've got some good stuff up on the new 2012 website for your viewing pleasure, including a new & improved Entertainment page!

Check it out & get a taste of what you'll be hearing in June
http://www.LuauAtTheLake.com

The Ohana entertainment line-up includes.....

Thee Swank Bastards
The 9th wave
Bamboo Saxotica
Pablus
Velveteen Lounge Channels Hurricane Hattie
The Granite Tiki

& MORE to be announced SOON!!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-18 05:42 am   Permalink

For those who prefer their email delivered on a message board, here's yesterday's Ohana email blast!! Its a long one... grab a drink, put your feet up, and try to muddle through it:

Aloha Hep Cats and Kittens!!!

And welcome to Episode 2 of the new “Non-Rambling” email format! <note: I didn't do so well... again>

Today’s subject: Kick off Party!!!!

Yes, on Thursday night, June 21st, we’re gonna do our wacky thing again, and this year, its going mobile!

We’ve worked out a great deal with the Lake George Steamboat Company and we’ve got an entire boat, all to ourselves for a few hours on Thursday evening. Dinner is included, and we’re working with the staff to get a killer cocktail menu on board (cash bar), as well as live music, prizes, contests, and all manner of water-bound shenanigans just shy of mutiny.

Seriously, no mutiny folks. I think the captian can legally shoot you for that. I’ll have to check my maritime lawbook, but I know he can at least throw you in the brig. And no, don’t go crazy just because you want to “see the brig”. I think the Brig is just the walk-in freezer anyway. Ok, I’m rambling, back to business….

Anyway, you’ll need to get to the dock by 7pm on Thursday night, and we should have you back around 10pm. And yes, of course we’ll have our usual slew of weird, wacky, and wild entertainment on board (more on that below).

Tickets (which INCLUDE DINNER on board!!!) are $30ea and will be onsale in a couple weeks along with Ohana weekend passes!

Mahalo and we’ll see you at the lake!!

-Bargoyle
www.LuauAtTheLake.com

<WARNING!! RAMBLE ZONE!!>

Ok, as you’ve probably guessed, I’ve got A LOT to say about all this, and now that I’ve appeased the “keep it short” police, I’m off to the races!!!

#1 The Boat: I HATE boats. Seriously. I get seasick, and I’ve got a thing about large bodies of water. No BS. (Watch the movie “Open Water”, based on a true story. You’ll be a land lubber just like me!) “Boating” for me means an innertube ride on the Lazy River Water Slide. Maybe a canoe trip, but always within 20 feet of land. (Yes, I can swim, I just like being able to see land…always.) That being said, I reluctantly took a quick afternoon trip on one of these steamboats this past September, and it was AWESOME!!! I mean really really awesome!!!. To the point where I went and talked to the folks about renting out an entire boat as soon as I got back on land!

You get a very different view of the Lake by being ON it. And the trip up and back passed so much I’d never seen!! Beautiful unspoiled wilderness, rich oppulent mansions, homes from the 1800s to last year, Resorts (old and new), and even a 20’ x 20’ “island” with a shack on it (that I believe is availble for rent!!) It was pretty super-cool. And we’re gonna make it even superer-cooler!! How?

#2 The Plan Ok, once “boat trip” was locked in my brain as the kick off, now we needed to theme it. Immediately, the whole Giligan’s Island “Three Hour Tour” thing came to mind, but that’s kind of obvious. Then again, we’re making it a “costume” trip, and Gilligan could be a lot of fun…not only could we have castaways, but guest stars too! I mean, there were robots and natives and the Harlem Globetrotters on Giligan’s Island!!! Ok, so Giligan works, but it needs to be more than that. My mind then locked on the Love Boat. Sure, partly because with the shaved head I could rock an AMAZING Captain Stubing costume (Ok, with the goatee I guess its the Mirror-Mirror alternate-universe EVIL Captain Stubing, but you get the picture). But then what about pirates? We're on a boat, we need pirates, right? And mermaids! And the Gordon's Fisherman! And Fantasy Island! I know it has almost nothing to do with boating per se, but it was on right after the Love Boat and I can’t separate the two in my mind, so how could I separate them at a party?

#3 The Answer: The answer? I'm leaving the choice up to you! You can come as pretty much anything "boat" themed. You want to come as Ernest Borgnine and Shelly Winters from the Poseidon Adventure? Awesome! Thor Heyerdahl fresh from the Kon Tiki voyage? Love it! A man-shark mixologist hybrid who happens to be the bizarre love-child of Isaac the Bartender and Jaws? Why the hell not? Princess Leia in the gold bikini from Return of the Jedi? (hey, Jabba's Sail Barge counts as a boat in my book) Go for it! No really. Please. Someone go for this. Anyone? Seriously. This outfit almost guarantees my vote for best costume, just saying.

Now, before you get nervous, NO, you don't HAVE to come in costume to join us, and YES, if you do dress up we will have prizes for our favorites..

In addition to the costume contest, we'll also have games and prizes, and all manner of wacky entertainment throughout the boat trip, including LIVE music, and Dj, etc. Oh, and food, of course.

Yes, you will be fed, and yes there will be a bar onboard, making drinks from our own custom menu (drinks are on you however. I've seen the way you folks drink. Bring cash. But feel free to buy me a drink. It helps calm my nerves about being on a boat.)

We will set sail at 7pm on Thursday from the Lake George Steamboat Company (A five-minute walk from the Tiki Resort), and you kind of need to be there on time. We can’t exactly swing back around, or just pick you up along the way someplace. So keep that in mind when making travel plans. Get your butt to town before 7pm!!!

As most of you know, the kick-off party has become one of the highlights of Ohana weekend. And this year stands to be even better!! So be sure to come out early and enjoy a wild evening of fun out ON the Lake!

pps. I have a bunch to say about cool things to do in Lake George when not at Ohana or on a steamboat, so the next email babble section will be some fun stuff you can do during the day on Friday before Ohana starts! Or Thursday during the day, or whenever you want!

Mahalo, and we'll see you on the Lake!!!,

-b.

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-18 12:59 pm   Permalink

I'M ON A BOAT!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-19 7:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-18 12:59, Johnny Dollar wrote:
I'M ON A BOAT!

And if I had a pony, I'd ride him on my boat.

(obscure Lyle Lovett reference to make Andy giggle when she reads this tomorrow)

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-21 6:27 pm   Permalink

Check out Bargoyle chatting about Ohana Luau at the Lake 2012 on Koop Kooper's Cocktail Nation podcast episode 204.

http://cocktailnation.net/

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-24 11:19 am   Permalink

Ohana Luau at the Lake is to announcing that The Tiki Resort is SOLD OUT for Ohana 2012 weekend!!!

BUT - never fear! We will soon be announcing the back-up hotel(s)

WATCH THIS SPACE or our Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/OhanaLuau for more soon on the many other lodging options in Lake George.

AND.....importantly.....Tickets will be going on sale very SOON, too.

So Stay Tuned - GOHANA!!!!!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-26 08:07 am   Permalink

Hey Folks,

For those who don't get the emails, tickets for Ohana go on sale TOMORROW!!

www.LuauAtTheLake.com

Mahalo, and we'll see you at the Lake!!!

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-27 06:58 am   Permalink

Got my tickets!

See you ON the lake at the kick-off party!

Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-27 08:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-27 06:58, rev_thumper wrote:
Got my tickets!

See you ON the lake at the kick-off party!

See you there. We got ours.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zonker88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-01-27 7:10 pm   Permalink

yes! i was asleep at the switch and missed the hotel room. at least I got to the tickets before it sold out. off to find a room!

View Profile of Zonker88 Send a personal message to Zonker88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tedtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-28 11:59 am   Permalink

Room and tickets...check! Can't wait for june.

View Profile of tedtiki Send a personal message to tedtiki  Email tedtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-29 7:34 pm   Permalink

Cheap ass rooms still left at some fleabag motel called Lake View Inn.
With AAA, it was only $80.10 a night.
AND it's only .2 miles from the Tiki.
WHOOP WHOOP.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zonker88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-01-29 7:42 pm   Permalink

not a fan of fleabags so i am booked at the other office hotel (Fort William Henry)

View Profile of Zonker88 Send a personal message to Zonker88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-30 06:18 am   Permalink

Some of the hotels in the area are really nice. Lots of cool little mom & pop motels with little log cabins and such, but I only know (have seen inside) a few of them. I'll try to find my old post with a list of ones I know are pretty good.

And so far, there's only ONE I've heard nightmares about, and its the one semi-across the street from The Tiki. I don't remember the name (I'll do a google street view or something to find it) but its too bad because it would make a great over-flow hotel for its location! It had a bunch of nautical flags hanging over it and a faux ship's mast over the lobby. I know, I know, it sounds cool, but those who have stayed there said they'd never do it again and switched motels after the first night!

As with any hotel though, Your Mileage May Vary. You never know if you just had a bad housekeeper or if the problems are systemic at any given place, so I don't want to throw too many stones, but I also want you to be made aware of possible problems.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with trying to save a few bucks, and everyone, please be sure to let us know how the places are (if you stay elsewhere). If you find a great place, we'll try to work a deal with them next year. If you find a rat-hole, let us know so we can avoid it like cheap rum!

Let me see if I can jog the working synapses in my brain for info on the "bad" motel. And in the meantime, tickets are going pretty fast! About 50% sold out for Ohana, and 70% sold out for the boat!!!

Dont delay! Buy today!

http://www.LuauAtTheLake.com

[ This Message was edited by: Bargoyle 2012-01-30 06:20 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation