FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » OHANA 2012-Official Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
OHANA 2012-Official Thread
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-04 11:49 am   Permalink

Looks to me like high top con's are part of the dress code?

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-04 1:32 pm   Permalink

I do too much running around to rock the open toes. Blew out a tendon one year wearing sandals. Yowch!! So yeah, the Converse give me a little support while wooshing around the resort. (Caroline, get Converse as a sponsor!!!)

But as an attendee, I assure you, the walking is limited, especially on Saturday, so wear whatever you want on your feet (including nothing at all!), chill with a beer, cocktail, water, or root-beer float (from the A&W next door) and soak it all in.

And while we're on the topic of soaking in, why not soak in this latest email blast from my screaming head-voices? (Nice segue huh?)

******* Email S4E7 - Viva La Musica!!! *******

Hola Gatos y Pollos!!

Me llamo Bargoyle. ….uhhh… Donde esta casa de Pepe? Mucho Gusto!!! Feliz Cinco De Mayo!!!

Huh? Its April!?!?!?!?

Ok, nevermind, I’m not doing this email in Spanish, #1 because I’m supposed to keep everything short, simple, and understandable, #2 I’m off by a month for the 5th of May holiday, and #3 because I’ve pretty much exhausted my entire vocabulary of the espanol. (plus I don’t know how to make that little N-with-a-hat thing in this email program.)

So, today… La Musica!!!!

As you know, the music is a big part of Ohana. It sets the mood for the weekend, and whether you’re right up front and grooving out to it, or letting it wash over you from the back row, its all amazing, and we’ve got some super talented folks bringing the jams this year!

Confirmed so far, in no particular order (and be sure to check out the webpage for sample music clips and more info on each act!):

Waitiki - We are thrilled that they’re joining us again, and with the Professor living back in Hawaii, this is quite possibly the only time most of us will get to see them in 2012. Pull a seat up close and get your bird-calls ready for the masters of modern day exotica. B’wana!!!!

Thee Swank Bastards - All the way from Vegas, bringing their wacky, wild underground sound to the shores of Lake George for the first time, the Bastards will rock your socks off…unless you’re barefoot. You’ve been warned!

Pablus - What can I say about this guy? I love this guy. Pablus IS aloha. Period. Always there with a smile, a story, and a song, Pablus’ cherubic voice and haunting ukulele will whisk you away on a tour of sun baked tropical islands and leave you wanting more.

Bamboo Saxotica - These cats have become one of my favorite parts of Ohana! From such humble beginnings, they continue to impress me year after year. Bringing big band exotica, hapa, surf, and fun classics, Bamboo Saxotica always has a few tricks and surprises up their sleeves. Prepare to be dazzled!

9th Wave - Sure, 9th Wave rocks the surf, spy, sci-fi, exotica thing but more than that, these folks are Ohana staples because they bring the Aloha, big time. Super great folks in a Kick-Ass band, don’t be surprised to see them pop up with a surprise acoustic jam, or tasty snack treats!

Hurricane Hattie - Ok, not THE Hurricane Hattie (she passed many moons ago) but the next best thing, as Velveteen Lounge presents an homage to the ribald entertainer who once called The Tiki Resort home. Hattie’s coming home again, don’t miss it!

The Granite Tiki - Last, and certainly not least, the hardest working man at Ohana, The Granite Tiki. As if fronting Bamboo Saxotica and running the sound for ALL the bands wasn’t enough, Granite brings his amazing uke-sylings to the Paradise Lounge on Saturday afternoon. Grab a drink, take a load off, and let Granite take the wheel. I guarantee you’ll enjoy the ride.

More!!! We’ll have great exotica, Hawaiian, surf, etc on the stage PA at all times, we’ve stocked the juke box in the Tiki’s lounge with classic 45s, and you never know when a uke jam is going to break out. Add in some late night sing-a-longs at the drive-in movies, and the music truly doesn’t stop until you do.

As I mentioned above, you can get the whole skinny (and hear some tunes!) on the website at:
http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/ohana/entertainment.php

Can’t wait to see you all at the Lake!!

Peace & Love, Peace & Love,
Bargoyle

www.LuauAtTheLake.com

ps. Buy tickets here: http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/ohana/tickets.php

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zonker88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-19 09:59 am   Permalink

hey is there a cocktail contest this year?

View Profile of Zonker88 Send a personal message to Zonker88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-19 10:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-19 09:59, Zonker88 wrote:

Ohana without a cocktail contest would be like a Mai-Tai without mint!

I'll try venturing into the Bargoyle cave for an update. Wish me luck!

[ This Message was edited by: rev_thumper 2012-04-19 10:09 ]

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-19 5:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-19 09:59, Zonker88 wrote:

There is going to be a Pie Eating Contest!

OK, maybe that isn't really as great as a cocktail contest..... but it should be at least as much fun to watch.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-19 5:53 pm   Permalink

now I want pie.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-20 11:41 am   Permalink

We decided we couldn't have a cocktail DRINKING contest, so the Pie Eating Contest was the next best thing (No, there is no booze in the pies).

And yes, there will be a cocktail MIXING contest again this year. Details to come next week! So start dusting off those old mixology books, and prep the glassware in the lab!

There's bragging rights (and a prize) on the line!!!

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 4:32 pm   Permalink

Some would say the whole weekend is a cocktail drinking contest!

But this is a marathon, not a sprint so the secret to victory is pacing yourself.

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-23 06:47 am   Permalink

As my High School Gym teacher used to say:

"Pace, don't race"

Those words have helped me survive many a tiki event... so far.

croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-30 8:03 pm   Permalink

In case you're wondering what y'all will be doing during the FUN & FABULOUS weekend that is Ohana Luau at the Lake, we've posted-up the tentative, but mostly final schedule up on the Ohana website.

Check out all the fun HERE:
http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/ohana/schedule.php

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-01 2:19 pm   Permalink

Cocktail contest info!!!

From the last email blast (sorry if you got this one 3 or 4 times... my mail server went a bit mental)

Aloha Everybody!!!!

For those who went to the Rum Renaissance or Hukilau or Mojave Oasis, welcome back!! And color me jealous!

Seeing all the pics online makes me pine for a nice tiki weekender. Luckily, there happens to be one coming up in June (segue!!!).

And what better time to hit you all up to buy your Ohana tickets than when you’re basking in the afterglow of a tiki event?? You wanna do that again, right? But don’t want to wait until next year you say??? Never fear!! We’ve got you covered!!

Ok, for real, we’re about ¾ sold out, and as I’ve stated before, there IS a cap on attendance. Once its sold out, that’s it.

No “day of” ticket sales, no “Oh, I already have a room, but I forgot to buy my ticket”, etc. I wish we could, but by including the meal in our event, we need a solid head-count and need to keep it. So, now is the time to buy those Ohana tickets before they’re all gone!!

You can get them here:
http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/ohana/tickets.php along with more info on the whole weekend. Once again its shaping up to be something pretty wild/special.

Which brings me to today’s topic….

What would Ohana be without the often imitated, never duplicated, awesome packed-ilated, Cocktail Contest??

Talk about wild & special!!!!

That’s right, its back! And once again, its your chance to compete against amateur mixologists from around the globe in a quest for glory, a killer hand-carved trophy from Lake Tiki, and bragging rights.

The Cocktail Contest will be on Saturday afternoon (before the entertainment starts), the number of entries will be limited (we don’t want to tie the judges up all day), and as usual, drinks will be judged on taste, use of sponsor products, and presentation.

Oh, and remember that you only have 5 minutes to present your drink. You can live mix it right there and then, or if you want, you can pre-mix it and use your 5 minutes for a history of the drink, how you came up with it, or dramatic reading of a poem you wrote in 8th grade when Jenny Watkins rejected your offer to take her to the school dance even though she was like totally flirting with you in like EVERY Biology class , and that time you walked her home you totally held hands, and what makes her so special anyway? Mommy says I’m handsome AND funny AND smart, and ANY woman would be lucky…LUCKY!! to get a chance to go dancing with me…errr you… I mean.

So yeah, anyway... Five minutes.

If you want to enter, or just want more info, the lovely and talented Kristiki will be heading up the contest this year. Go ahead and contact her at: kristy.bronner@gmail.com

Doesn’t cost anything to inquire. In fact, it doesn’t cost anything to enter!!! Cause that’s how we roll, Lake George style.

And remember, you can get all the latest at the website: www.LuauAtTheLake.com And be sure to “like” us on the facepage and tweeter and all that stuff you crazy kids are into these days.

As always, we’ll see ya at the Lake,

Bargoyle

Hinano_Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-02 5:55 pm   Permalink

I wonder if those handsome robust fellows will have another late night uke jam to entertain the masses......I wonder...

View Profile of Hinano_Paul Send a personal message to Hinano_Paul  Email Hinano_Paul Goto the website of Hinano_Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-02 6:56 pm   Permalink

I think they will.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-02 6:57 pm   Permalink

I think they will.

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-03 10:04 am   Permalink

This robust and rotund gentleman will be sporting his new custom Leeward Lounge ukulele and playing it until his fat fingers can't strum another chord. I can hear the 3 part harmonies already lilting through the summer air.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation