FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Creating Tiki ╗ ╗ Other Crafts ╗ ╗ Digital art discussion
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Digital art discussion
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-12 4:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-03 22:23, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
tikiskip, The tools are not to blame, Society finds ways to abuse many things
that were intended for better purposes, There was a time in this country when we
wanted to make the best things, but now it's the cheapest things at the most profit.
It's about greed pure and simple.

The Internet is a pretty cool tool, but look what most people do with it
this is just a testimony to the nature of society today.

So no I am not happy about it either, but you have to blame "people" for it.

To Thor and Mr. Horne I love your works!
My intent was to blame people.
I don't care how you get there cool is cool.
Many things are designed on a computer but just I
don't know, where's the wow.
What would you say the clasic car of the last ten years would be?
Maybe it's more a problem of what I like is not in style.
I know i'm talking more of design than true art.
But art used to in the desing of cars, homes, ect.
And last, the internet is a great tool!
Just don't know if it's helping in some areas.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-12 6:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-12 14:07, Zeta wrote:
Chuck Tantrum,
Read older post (page 2) on this thread,
where I say "Except internet for tiki central"

Hey I am pretty sure I put a "Laughing face emoticon" in my post
you hot blooded Latin

There you see, lots of funny laughing things to set a mood.

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-12 7:42 pm   Permalink

Yeah,
WHATEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER.
I'm Basque, not Latino, and that commentary is racist.

[ This Message was edited by: Zeta 2011-07-12 23:31 ]

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-12 11:36 pm   Permalink

I forgot...

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-07-12 11:47 pm   Permalink

Digital art discussion.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-13 12:05 am   Permalink

Tell him, not me.

Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-13 12:06 am   Permalink

Class, let us review;

Any questions?

No?

Good.

Bear
Here endeth the cultural lesson.

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-13 01:05 am   Permalink

well all I had to go on was your signature:

(íViva Tiki! Ambassador of Tiki in Mexico. Zeta is specialized in the research, study and preservation of Tiki culture in Latin countries.)

So if your not Latin (Not meant derogatorily) How can you be the "Ambassador of Tiki in Mexico"

I would recommend that you have a Cocktail, chill out and know that I stand corrected
you are a hot blooded Basque, Happy now?

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-13 01:22 am   Permalink

Tiki transcends nationalities.

Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-13 01:28 am   Permalink

Now, just because I can sort of use Photoshop to manipulate the images above, it doesn't mean I'm a digital artist, just a guy who can use Photoshop. I've run into those who also just manipulate images created by someone else who call themselves Digital Artists but couldn't create anything original to save their lives. I respect artists like Doug, Thor, and others who can use the digital medium to CREATE something original, they can do excellent work in other more traditional mediums as well.

Even at my local community college in the art dept. there is a heavy gravitation to digital medium, and many of the digital medium students imply that traditional mediums are dead, or at least passe. They want to be digital artists because that's what they hear of, all sorts of companies wanting digital artists. When I hear the phrase "Digital Artist," the first thing that comes to mind is the above mentioned image manipulator, like how Ernie demonstrated, and I get the impression that's what many employers seem to think a digital artist is. I don't think of Doug, Thor, and the rest who can create original works as "Digital Artists," rather they are "Artists who create works in the digital medium." They are first and foremost Artists, the medium is secondary. Whereas, in the job market, the emphasis appears to be heavy on the digital, and not so much on the artist.

Something Thor mentioned also struck a chord with me, when he wrote about the guy who used the works of other artists to build a "toolbox" he called it. Box of cheats is how it struck me. It sort of like the practice of "sampling" employed by some recording "artists" in the music industry. Used to be they would snatch a riff here or there, but now It's like entire songs are lifted, they slap a beat and their own lyrics over it, maybe add an accent of their own here or there, and they want me to consider what they've done as being original. Not. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but they aren't doing a cover of or even a tribute to the original. So it goes with the image manipulators and that guy with the digitally simulated techniques who couldn't replicate them himself in traditional mediums. It further confirms for me that the world has some very small people who only appear as big as they do because they stand upon the shoulders of giants.

Electronic technology is here to stay, society is constantly changing, and not always for the better. It's up to artists to preserve what we can of our representative cultures.

That's my take on it, sorry if I stepped on any toes, no offense intended.

I'm glad I only "dabble" in 2-D mediums. Gimme da mud!

Bear
And NO! There is no such thing as a ceramics APP!

[ This Message was edited by: Brudda Bear 2011-07-13 01:34 ]

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-13 02:00 am   Permalink

Bear, While I defend the use of computers in the creation of Art
I certainly do not want it to replace traditional media by any means.

There is a mindset from many "Traditional Artist's" that is Incendiary towards Digital Art
why? maybe they see it as a threat to how they create Art, I would hope that an open minded Artist will see it as the tool that it is & not a magic box that does all the work.

But it should never replace a tube of paint and a favorite brush.
But at the end of the day it is always about the skills of the Artist, no matter what the toolset they may use.
But a Digital Image can last forever, unless Zeta sets off an E.M.P. device of course

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-13 07:21 am   Permalink

Sometimes I have to hear an idea several times before the little dim bulb goes off in my little dim brain. Bear mentioned something that Thor and others touched on and it finally clicked for me. That there is a distinction between artists and digital technicians. That most of the careers out there are for technicians who are efficient at turning someone else's vision into an image (Tobor and others in the industry can correct me if I am wrong) We are visual beings and our culture eats images at 30 frames/second/TV channel, we can't affort to spend 100 hours on each image! BUT there are people like Tobor who can do both, efficiently turn out digital images for the Man and still create real digital art for those who appreciate it.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-07-13 08:28 am   Permalink

Yay. Back on topic.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-13 08:34 am   Permalink

3D printing, wow, this is amazing!!

http://youtu.be/ZboxMsSz5Aw

Like Chuck Tatum said, digital medium will not take over traditional mediums, it's just another option for an artist to create.

The Art of Doug Horne
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-13 08:36 am   Permalink

is fannypack art?

[ This Message was edited by: little lost tiki 2011-07-13 08:37 ]

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation