FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Waikiki Tiki: Slide Show, Luau & The Smokin' Menehunes Tonight!!! 9/4 @ Don the Beachcomber, HB
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Waikiki Tiki: Slide Show, Luau & The Smokin' Menehunes Tonight!!! 9/4 @ Don the Beachcomber, HB
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-08 10:15 am   Permalink

A couple reviews:

"The average person would assume that Hawaii is dripping with tiki, but sadly, it’s not the case. Thanks to overzealous missionaries, most of the authentic Hawaiian artifacts were destroyed before U.S. servicemen arrived on the islands during WWII and kicked off the polynesian pop movement.

The odd truth is that tiki had to find its way back to the islands, which it did until the “destroy all mid-century” mentality of the ’70s and ’80s took over. Author Phillip S. Roberts new 264-page book, Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs, does a magnificent job of documenting the rise and fall of the tiki resurgence in Waikiki and the island of Oahu with lots of pictures of places and things that sadly no longer exist." Ken Kanaka

"...Whether you’re obsessed with tiki culture, find it tacky, or see it as an offensive display of cultural appropriation, you can’t deny the love that Phillip S. Roberts put into making this book. It’s a catalogue of Hawaii’s recent past, a piece of our modern popular culture we can’t deny, nor according to the author, one we shouldn’t be afraid to embrace." Alex (last name not available)

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-08 11:30 am   Permalink

I got my tix, looking forward to good times. Totally stoked to see Phil in California again. Looking forward to seeing him in Waikiki (again) in November !!! Phil is My Man in Hawaii !!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-08 10:37 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Quote:

On 2011-08-08 10:15, SoccerTiki wrote:

"The average person would assume that Hawaii is dripping with tiki, but sadly, it’s not the case. Thanks to overzealous missionaries, most of the authentic Hawaiian artifacts were destroyed before U.S. servicemen arrived on the islands during WWII and kicked off the polynesian pop movement.

I liked Ken's review, but I did differ with him on one minor point, the role of--"overzealous missionaries" in the downfall.

The Kapu's were overthrown by the Hawaiian Monarchy (itself) in 1819 (see: 'Ai Noa, free eating-the concept of both sexes dining together.) and Kamehameha II (Liholiho - c. 1797–July 14, 1824) himself, ORDERED the Kapus not be enforced, the temples to be overthrown, and the idols burned. Luckily, everybody did not comply, thus the small amount of ki'i preserved today by museums. The few surviving Hawaiian carvings have prolifirated today providing the basis of what we all love...

The first Missionaries arrived in Hawaii some months later in 1820...

Thanks Scott. Can't wait to see you and Laura either! Proud of you buddy. I love your work!

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HB TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-09 1:02 pm   Permalink

Sept 2 my wife and I will celebrate our 41th anniv of being married in Honolulu, so the SEPT 4 will be a great place to celebrate our anniversary at Don the Beachcomber with the talk by Phillip Roberts and the Menehunes, great drinks and food. Soccertiki said he would buy my first drink. So I had to buy a ticket.

View Profile of HB TIKI Send a personal message to HB TIKI  Email HB TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-09 1:16 pm   Permalink

Now THAT'S a beautiful story Roger!!! It's gonna be a fun night and YES, I'll buy you a Mai-Tai!!!

You can go directly to
http://www.donthebeachcomber.com and purchase your tickets.

Phillip Roberts is preparing a very interesting, informative and enjoyable presentation. It'll be a great way to see Waikiki Tiki without leaving the mainland!

"Marriage, Mortgages and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life!"

[ This Message was edited by: soccertiki 2011-08-09 19:56 ]

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-09 1:20 pm   Permalink

Here's another thread regarding the book... www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=37127&forum=1&start=0

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 5:20 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Looking good! Totally stoked for this event. Still trying to figure out what artifact from the book to donate to the charity raffel, but it will be something nice! Ah, the pleaures of Microfilm as I continue to add little tweaks to the show!

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-08-12 17:26 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-12 7:03 pm   Permalink

can't wait for this event!

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-14 12:05 am   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2011-08-12 19:03, crazy al wrote:
can't wait for this event!

OH MY GOSH! Quite excited to catch up with you! Have not seen you since you ran the Honolulu Marathon. I can, please bring those pics you wanted me to look at.

Best,

Phillip

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-08-14 00:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: phillip roberts 2011-08-14 01:35 ]

WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-14 11:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-27 13:51, WooHooWahine wrote:
During this event we will be doing a Raffle to help raise money for the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Honolulu Organization.

http://www.bigshonolulu.org/site/c.8rKNI6MMIgIWE/b.6356917/k.EFF3/Home_Page.htm

If you are interested in donating a prize for the Raffle please PM me or email me at woohoowahine@yahoo.com

[ This Message was edited by: WooHooWahine 2011-07-27 14:02 ]

Mahalo! Mahalo! Mahalo to all who have already donated prizes for our Raffle. Keep them Coming!!!

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-15 11:59 am   Permalink

I just purchased my tickets and look forward to this event.

View Profile of Tikitatt Send a personal message to Tikitatt  Email Tikitatt Goto the website of Tikitatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-16 9:31 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I look forward to meeting you Tikitatt!

Not using this scan in the program, but if I'd been able to get a better quality one, I would have.

SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-19 8:12 pm   Permalink

Ticket sales are moving right along! Get your tickets by going to: www.DonTheBeachcomber.com

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-22 8:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-14 11:05, WooHooWahine wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-07-27 13:51, WooHooWahine wrote:
During this event we will be doing a Raffle to help raise money for the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Honolulu Organization.

http://www.bigshonolulu.org/site/c.8rKNI6MMIgIWE/b.6356917/k.EFF3/Home_Page.htm

If you are interested in donating a prize for the Raffle please PM me or email me at woohoowahine@yahoo.com

[ This Message was edited by: WooHooWahine 2011-07-27 14:02 ]

Mahalo! Mahalo! Mahalo to all who have already donated prizes for our Raffle. Keep them Coming!!!

There's going to be a lot of Cool Prizes

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-23 8:16 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Things are coming along nicely! Added plenty of new things to the presentation.

Here's a microfilm scan that didn't clean up enough, so it won't be included in the presentation... but it is too cool not to post.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation