[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Help my Drink Menu
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Help my Drink Menu
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-13 07:35 am   Permalink

The Halekulani (recipe in Sippin' Safari) is my fave bourbon Tiki drink.

Just a thought!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-13 09:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-13 01:54, Sparkle Mark wrote:
I would consider throwing in a whisky, whiskey or bourbon beverage just for the folks that are certain that they don't like rum.
(Usually these people have never had a decent rum)
This way you can ease them into a nice rum later once they are digging properly made tropical drinks.

The Honi Honi, Starboard and Port Lights are pretty good.

Good Luck!
Mark

Actually, I have a Mai Tai recipe with Scotch that is great...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 08:25 am   Permalink

The Tropical Itch has Bourbon as well!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RayZorback

Posted: 2011-07-14 11:26 am   Permalink

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far and for the Book suggestions. I am ordering those today -- I WISH they were on KINDLE! :/

I have edited our tiki menu from your suggestions. Here is what I have so far:

Strangely, it is harder to find bulk, quality, custom glasses than it is to find some of the ingredients. I have great food venders who track that stuff down for me. I will use a glass tiki glass or collins glass for almost all of these. I am looking for a glass hula girl glass for the Hula Girl & a glass Rum Barrel for the Rum Barrel drinks. I haven't found one yet. I am a big fan of the "glass, see through" glasses for 2 reasons:
  1. Liqueur is pretty! Especially when the bartender focuses on presentation.
  2. In food service, it helps us easily identify when someone might need a refill or another drink.
The Tiki Menu
  • Long Walk on the Beach - my twist on Sex on the Beach w/ "sand" on the rim -- its a family restaurant
  • Sandy Sunrise - similar to a Tequila Sunrise, but it is my own tropical version w/ "sand" the rim.
  • Blue Hawaiian
  • Mai Tai
  • Navy Grog
  • Zombie - I think I have the 1950's recipe
  • Hula Girl - served in a hula girl glass if I can find & order them in bulk
  • Scorpion
  • Rum Barrel - served in a rum barrel glass? maybe.
  • What else??
Possibile Additions
  • Ray's Mistake - funny. I like it.
  • Honi Honi
  • Leilani Volcano
  • Shrunken Skull - would be cool if I could find a skull glass
  • Caipirinhas - is this considered a Tiki? or a general Cocktail?

Thanks again for the help!

[ This Message was edited by: RayZorback 2011-07-14 11:32 ]

View Profile of RayZorback Send a personal message to RayZorback      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 12:20 pm   Permalink

Ray's Mistake is a joke. The recipe is unknown.

I still suggest the Derby Daiquiri. It is served in a standard cocktail glass or champagne saucer.

151 Swizzle is served in a Collins glass and everyone loves cinnamon. Garnished with a long cinnamon stick.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RayZorback

Posted: 2011-07-14 1:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-14 12:20, Swanky wrote:

How close is this:
http://tikidrinks.blogspot.com/2009/07/rays-mistake-tiki-cocktail-recipe.html ?

View Profile of RayZorback Send a personal message to RayZorback      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-07-14 1:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-14 13:18, RayZorback wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-07-14 12:20, Swanky wrote:

How close is this: http://tikidrinks.blogspot.com/2009/07/rays-mistake-tiki-cocktail-recipe.html ?

That particular attempt is referenced in this thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=17729&forum=10&start=15

One comment on the recipe stated:

"...It was not a Ray's Mistake at all."

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 3:00 pm   Permalink

solve the Anting Anting, then you can deduce the Ray's Mistake...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 9:06 pm   Permalink

Ray,

1- The caipirinha is more in the daiquiri/mojito vein. More Latin/Caribbean than Tiki. Just move it over to that section of the menu?

2- Beachbum Berry also has an iPod app, that may be easier for you.

3- You can get THIS Tiki glass, the same one used at Disney's Polynesian:
http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_403060 ($100 for a case of 24) and this skull glass here: http://www.homewetbar.com/half-liter-pirate-skull-drinking-glass-p-1615.html (although it's kinda pricy). You may also want to consider letting folks keep the glass for an extra $___. There are also some collins type glasses that are shaped kinda-sorta-maybe like a section of bamboo.

4- The renamed "on the beach" drink's name is a bit clunky...maybe renaming it "Kiss on the Beach?" It's also more of a regular drink than a Tiki drink. (Don't be fooled by the "beach" thing!)

5- Ray's Mistake is one of those drinks the recipe for which has never been really made public. (I still say "Lapu Lapu.") The Fog Cutter is another Tiki classic you may want to ponder. The Planter's Punch can bridge the Caribbean and Tiki sections of your menu, too.

6- One consideration -- not the only one, of course -- you may take is ease of making a given drink. A drink with 11 ingredients in wildly different proportions might prove a bit much.

7- Also consider getting custom cocktail picks and swizzle sticks. Not expensive and it's great publicity when people take those home.

Once you get the Beachbum Berry books, you'll have a much sharper idea of what you could do; the suggestions you've gotten here barely scratch the surface!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation