FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars New to the forum and love it!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
New to the forum and love it!
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-27 11:01 pm   Permalink

Wow took his pictures down and left. Way to destroy the guys' enthusiasm fellas. He went from super excited and complimentary, to deleting his post. You Guildmasters certainly pwned that newb.

Anyone who spends any time around here could see that attack coming. Just as much as the usual response of,

"What, what? I was really complimentary. I even said hi before telling this idiot (who has posted all of three times) how wrong his parrot is according to an out of print book. Just saying. If I don't correct every person who has been here less than a day the integrity of Tiki Central will collapse and everyone on TC will suddenly be buying Margaritaville signs and putting surf boards on the wall."

If really educating him was anyone's intent you could have ignored him, told him "Nice bamboo work, nice floor" or something, or asked a question. Fact is he bolted, and will now learn nothing about Tiki or Poly Pop. The end result is the Margaritaville sign is staying up in this guy's bar, the parrot will hold center court, and the Buffett will continue to play. But hey it was really important that that fish in the barrel get shot.

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-28 12:15 am   Permalink

If we would politely ignore all the Margaritaville images posted here, they would continue to stand on this site as examples of "Tiki". Most people go no further than the internet these days: They'd open this thread, see the images and think "If this is on Tiki Central, it must be Tiki!"

WE did not take the images down, we just commented on their authenticity. But now we shouldn't do that? I have never seen a post explaining the facts in a nicer tone than BB's. If that person cannot understand this kind of explanation, than their interest in Tiki was only skin deep, too.

As the Tiki Revival is moving away from its original inspirations, more and more newcomers with less and less knowledge of what Tiki really is will want to "have fun" with the style, wanting to ad it to THEIR idea of fun - be that Margaritaville, Reggae, Hot Rods, Rockabilly, Burlesque, Scooters, or Steam Punk. If we cannot even tell them "Go and do what you dig, but this is Tiki, and that ain't" what will be left of the definition of the genre?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
newB24
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-28 06:06 am   Permalink

I'm kind of disappointed I didn't get to see the pictures.....

View Profile of newB24 Send a personal message to newB24      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-31 12:08 am   Permalink

Yeah, I want to see what all the fuss is about. It must've been a vulgar display of parrot head blasphemy.

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-31 12:53 am   Permalink

He had a pretty nice sit down TikiBar poolside with full service setup
But it was decorated with all the usual Parrot head trappings,Neon etc.
and emphasized Dos Equis beer.

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-31 11:06 am   Permalink

Well, I must confess that I do have a couple of questionable non-tiki acoutrements in my bar. But these were gifts and I didn't want to offend the loved ones that gave them to me. But they are barely noticeable amidst my carvings, art and decor.

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-31 1:10 pm   Permalink

TT,

The thing was, his original post was about how he and his wife liked Margaritaville and his efforts to recreate it in their backyard. That and the feel of the bar is what I think set off the "Uh-oh" comments.

The bar had bead board paneling on the bar front and back bar that had a golden honey finish, rustic wooden round poles supported a palpa thatch roof, rope accents were wrapped and tied on the wood poles and a rope trim wrapped the bar top, wooden slat bar stools and patio furniture around the bar and pool deck, all in all it wasn't a bad looking bar. It had some Tiki potential with the right elements added to it.

The added decor items were three tiki masks/figurines, a surfboard with hibiscus flower decoration hanging at the top of the back bar, three faux tropical birds (parrots and toucan), a couple of posters/signs on the fence (can't remember the messages), and the most glaring non-Tiki elements (well, I'd say more like anti-Tiki) the Margaritaville and Corona Beer parrot neon signs on the back bar.

The non-Tiki elements certainly outnumbered and outweighed the few truly Tiki elements, but the bar wasn't a lost cause as far as Tiki Style. Some definite Tiki elements were missing, bamboo, lauhala matting, Tiki lights, nets, more tikis, etc. But stuff could be added for that richly layered look a good Tiki bar has. I didn't have as big of a problem with the surfboard and faux birds as some might have, those, and other, not specifically Tiki elements have been successfully incorporated into Tiki bars in the past. It's just that the definite Tiki items should outnumber and outweigh the non-Tiki elements any time they are utilized so they don't overwhelm the Tiki vibe of the bar.

Just remove the Margaritaville and Corona Beer neon signs and the scales would have been ready to tip toward Tiki. But like he said he said in his original post, he was shooting for Margaritaville.

As far as the pics go, if ironhardt uploaded them to TC they are still there among all the other uploaded images, we just don't know the url addresses to view them, and if they were hot linked from some photo hosting site... well, whatever, they're gone.

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-31 1:24 pm   Permalink

Damn Brudda Bear, great memory buddy! I didn't even get the beer sign right.

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gold zephyr
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-01 4:01 pm   Permalink

I think it's funny how much Jimmy Buffets name comes up in general. Damn the JB he is omnipresent!

View Profile of gold zephyr Send a personal message to gold zephyr      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-01 4:14 pm   Permalink

Ahem...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=36260&forum=13&vpost=526949

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-02 08:26 am   Permalink

I'm sure everyone here has a friend or three who has a "tiki bar" by the pool or whatever. Hell, they sell them at Target and Big Lots. If you think there is something wrong with pointing out that a plastic bamboo bar with thatch on top is not technically a Tiki bar, then what would you suggest? And when some friend hands you a present for your Tiki bar and it is a mayan inspired carving, do you proudly put it in your Tiki bar? No. There is nothing wrong with explaining the differences. We can't allow Party City and Big Lots to define what is Tiki when we've all know what defined it 40 years ago exactly.

You can do whatever you want with your own home. But don't come to Tiki Central showing off your Mayan stone carvings and tell us they are Tikis and expect us not to let you know you are in error. That would be silly.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-08-02 08:38 am   Permalink

Well said Swanky.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation