FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-19 07:54 am   Permalink

Another update, finally making some headway and getting closer to what I envisioned. Kinda seriously hating the tiki though I may wipe him out altogether and put a different tiki in there.The colors of course are much richer than what my camera can capture under our poor house lights; just imagine it deeper and richer in tone.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-19 2:58 pm   Permalink

Love the red hair Looking good, I think you'll be happier with the tiki if you change the eyes - just my opinion

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-21 12:25 pm   Permalink

Hey Tigertail!
Lovin the lighting on this one so far....
as for the tiki-google Marquesan
or Easter island Moai
They're both are carved from stone and would make for a nicenod to
the actual tikis we all garner inspiration from....plus you can add
coral and moss and stuff to it and have some textural fun....
i painted some Moai and Orongo (birdman) carvings with some mermaids a few months back and it was really a delight and a learning curve,texturally!
Anticipating your progress on this!
Thanks for being so eager to share the process
and VELCOME!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-22 02:54 am   Permalink

Hey LLT, thanks for the comments. I am trying hard to get the lighting right so I appreciate the compliment. I think you've struck on a great idea there, I think a Moai would work a LOT better. Originally I was going for a Hawaiian tiki, but didn't want a typical Ku. I see though I need to get my hands on some more research before I attempt something like that again. I have my eye on a (currently in my budget) book of tiki on ebay, so am hoping it doesn't go too high. I also am looking for books on actual historical museum type tikis that are cheap for future projects. I think however I have decided what my next painting will be since this one is getting so close; I'd like to do a painting of a real tiki bar interior back in its prime. I think it would be a lot of fun to paint the Tonga Room & Hurricane bar in San Francisco as it looked back in its original hey day. I can imagine the soft glow of lighting on the pool as the fake rainstorm is going and all that wonderful ambiance. I will just need to find some good close up details, like high res pictures and all that so it will take a bit of research to get it right.

Meanwhile, I thought I would share my other project that happened while I was doing the mermaid painting. See, I like the "Lost in Paradise" show that Chris is doing but every time I saw him interview folks with that mic that has the weird fuzzy windsock on top I kept thinking what a shame it was that the thing wasn't themed to his show. So I contacted Chris and told him I had a surprise for him. He should have it by now so it should be safe to share. When I saw that black fuzzy windsock I kept thinking it looked like hair and then BAM the idea struck me and wouldn't let go. What if the mic looked like a shrunken head, and the windsock was the hair? Without further ado here is the progress shots on "poor Mike"...
Raw Sculpey stage

Baked just a little too much (one of his thread holes around eye cracked from the heat)

Using unraveled twine pieces for the stitches took some patience.

Stitching underway.

Operation finished.

Adding a bit of feather ju ju.

Bad lighting, but his nose bone says: "Speak clearly into Mike".

The ears have holes in them for strings or elastic to be threaded into so it can be tied to the base of the microphone. I can't wait to see people's reactions the next time Chris interviews someone. His forehead looks like a rubber stamped image that says "Lost in Paradise". Two unfortunate things happened with him though: I didn't have any matte sealer so I used glossy... big mistake too shiny for my taste. Secondly I was not able to get him to Chris in time for the Oasis as I had planned due to more gout problems (Sorry about that Chris). I felt pretty bad since he paid for the shipping and even paid extra. Well, I hope Mike works well on the Mic. Not too shabby for my first shrunken head.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-22 1:30 pm   Permalink

Looks very cool Tiger, can't wait to see it in action. You might be able to recoat it with a matte finish to knock down the shine.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-23 06:05 am   Permalink

Cool, luminous stuff! The Ms. Pac Man piece is very unique. I can't wait to see where you go!

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-23 10:55 pm   Permalink

Hey thanks for stopping by Robb! I love your velvet paintings. "The Mrs. Stacked Man" painting was originally going to be one of a series of pinups with a vintage arcade theme. The next one was going to be based on Asteroids with a sexy black mama sitting astride an asteroid and wearing a space suit/helmet while shooting at other asteroids. I will come back to the idea some day when I can afford to get either models or better reference material. I had contemplated selling prints of some of these at a local vintage video game convention, but I have nary a clue how to go about the scanning and printing of high quality giclee prints.

Work on the mermaid has stopped for now while a friend is staying over, but will resume soon. Meanwhile my new art site is finally finished:
www.tigertailart.com be aware there isn't much tiki stuff other than the design of the site pages (it's themed to look like a 1940's WWII tiki bar in Honolulu, and there are little clues here and there to the "back story").

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-29 02:17 am   Permalink

Good news and bad news... Good news is I have been invited to do some graphic design/art direction for a fledgling magazine and it may work into a full time job eventually. Bad news is this means that I am going to have to put off finishing the little lady for a little while (but hopefully not too long). Meanwhile I thought I would share some more sculpture stuff. These were pieces that originally were going to be used for a custom portfolio sampler of my work, it was going to be themed as a tiki bar drink menu. The tigers are flat relief in parts so I could move the arms and legs. I made little tiny props for them both: the male has a itty bitty coconut drink that I made by molding sculpey around an olive and he also has custom painted pineapple designs on his shirt because I could not find a fabric that looked good to scale. The female tigress has a hand made lei (as does the male, but it doesn't show up as well) that was created by stringing a few hundred tiny paper flowers together, and she also has a hand made hula skirt which was not easy to get the dried grass stuff (sorry its been too long I don't remember the name of what I used) to lay flat. I also took about one hundred photos of them both under different lighting conditions so I could get the exact lighting for combining the entire scene in photoshop. I even photographed the volcano under black lights to pick up the glow of the florescent paint I used for the lava. I ended up not using any of this because I ran out of time before graduation, but always thought I would go back and use it for something eventually.

Raw baked, and just painted forms:

Male tiger under different lighting schemes

Female tigeress under different lighting schemes

Tiki and palm tree props

Tiki, palm tree, and volcano, with test photos of hand painted cloth

Cover and back cover to the final piece, you might notice the tigers foot is turned around. I had to do that in photoshop because after the arduous photography session was finished I realized I had shot ALL the pics with the foot wrong...GRRRR!

Well hope that tides you over till next time. Looks like I finally got to use the project for something!

zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-29 04:53 am   Permalink

Very nice work! Especially on the tiger!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-29 11:39 am   Permalink

Congrats on the work Jesse, money is always a good thing. Great work on the tigers and the photography, the thing with the foot is hilarious

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-30 02:16 am   Permalink

First meeting with the magazine people went well, and I think there may be a future in it. Since I posted my new tiki bar themed art portfolio site earlier, I figured I'd also post my new business card which has a jungle explorer theme. The pen and ink was a lot of fun on this, I always love to do a lot of dark shadows. The hat is supposed to be a pith helmet and hopefully comes across as one. My dad keeps insisting on calling it a "construction hard hat", but hopefully to those in the know it reads as what it is supposed to be. I don't know why but a couple of my friends swear up and down that the tiger looks just like me...it must be the glasses, or maybe I just have been drawing caricatures too long now.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-30 10:15 am   Permalink

Jesse, I think years of heavy drinking you caused your dad during your teen years may have burned up too many brain cells (just kidding) but that's a pith helmet if I ever saw one. Nice card

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-12 03:48 am   Permalink

Well it's been a while I know. Been busy with other projects for other folks, but I really needed some ME time and have been craving insatiably the idea of getting back to the painting. Finally I found a little time the other night and put a little more work into it. Still have not tackled the destruction/reconstruction of the tiki into a Moai as suggested by Little Lost Tiki, but it is coming very soon. Mainly what I worked on was trying to get the bubbles and some more of the lighting corrected, for instance I put the coral on the left side into a bit darker shadow so it recedes a bit more into the background. I also added some more texture here and there and defined some of the mermaid's muscles a little more. This one is getting close, the main part that remains is the Moai, and adding more reflections to the bubbles, finishing the mermaid's hands, and a bit of softening on some of the harsher edges.

Some close up details:

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-12 06:14 am   Permalink

Good to see you working on this project again, get a little time in to relax and create for yourself. Looks great, hope your other projects are coming along too.

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-13 7:06 pm   Permalink

Hey thanks Mike, it's good to be working on it again. Yeah I am going to have to set aside time to do art I want to do, or I may go a little crazy. Still not making much money on the client work just yet, so it might be a while after this one is done before I can start on another as I need to buy supplies...running low on paints, and need either new canvas or wood pieces to paint on.

Meanwhile I painted more on the little lady last night, with the beginnings of the Moai filled in, and a lot more of the reflections on the bubbles. Getting super close to finishing this one, just need to muck up the Moai with seaweed/coral/barnacles (plus add more lighting effects) and some little touch ups here and there and finishing the mermaid hand.

I think I have a title for the piece now: "Voyeur in the Bubble Bath" well it works for now I may change it, any suggestions anyone?

Some close ups:

Texture on the Moai head

I had been using a cookie sheet for a painting palette, but it seems to have disappeared. I wanted to get painting right away, so I found some old vinyl floor tiles I am using for palettes right now. I really need to find some kind of palette surface that is easy to scrape off the paint it is always a pain to pry the old dry paints up so I can start on something new, and I don't like the idea of throwing something away with each painting unless it can be recycled somehow; I can picture landfills full of painting palettes. I had thought it would be easy to pry the paint off the vinyl tiles...boy was I wrong. I will have to figure out some kind of art to turn the vinyl tiles into after this.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation