FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-13 7:08 pm   Permalink

The Moai is looking cool!

As to your palette issue. Have you looked at the Mastersons Sta-Wet Palette? That's what I use. I love not having to worry about acrylics drying out. With very little maintenance you can keep your paints and palette wet for weeks!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-13 7:20 pm   Permalink

The Moai looks much more natural in the setting than the other tiki. I also like that it runs off the canvas, I'm sure there's a term for that but my art education is pretty sketchy (pun intended )

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-13 10:36 pm   Permalink

Zerostreet-- WOW! Thanks that Mastersons Sta-Wet Palette thing looks incredible. I bet I could save a lot of money on paint as well. Soon as I can I am getting that.

Maddog Mike-- Thanks, I am Moai pleased with it too. Heck if I know it has a name or not...cropping, framing I dunno, but I kind of wanted part of his reaction "off screen" so you have to imagine what is going on with his eyes. I thought it would be too cartoony to have them bugging out of his head, but wanted that kind of reaction so opted for this.

Once I get more art materials I am anxious to do a painting of the Tonga Room as it was in it's heyday, I think I may even do a before and after tiki version and make a second painting of the earlier nautical version. I can just imagine all the atmospheric lighting and am jazzed at the idea of painting it. Of course I am going to need to find a lot of reference photos from various angles if possible to do it justice. I also kind of want to do a painting of the old Clifton's with the neon palm tree, but I think that one will come later. My favorite era of poly-pop is the 30's and 40's and I really want to do some paintings in those time periods. Of course painting like this is pretty new to me, I am used to painting backdrops for theatrical plays and the occasional mural, but hey painting is painting and it is all tons of fun.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 4:06 pm   Permalink

That Moai's looking good!
try a thick piece of glass as a palette
easy to scrape off....

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 10:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tip LLT, if I could find a good thick piece of glass I would. Originally I used a square glass dish cover I picked up in Goodwill, but because it had curved edges it was a absolute pain to get the paint scraped off. I would be terrified with my clumsiness of having a normal sheet of glass, especially with edges. Once I get money I would like to get the stay wet system Zero pointed out I think it would save money on paints too because they tend to dry awfully fast.

On another mermaid note; one of my nephew's kids wanted Little Mermaid painted on her nails. It's been years since I tried to paint this small, but I set to work and one hour 45 minutes later she had almost the full cast in miniature on ten tiny nails. I tried to photograph it close as I could, but it is difficult to take pictures of something that small clearly.

I tried to convince her to let me slip in a tiki, but she would not hear of it. Well, I tried.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-18 5:35 pm   Permalink

Hi tigertail777, my husband loves topless art, I love sculpey clay. Your thread has something for both of us! The nails are just darling. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-19 9:55 pm   Permalink

Hey thanks Wendy (and Dan) for tuning in! Glad I can keep you both entertained. By the way I am loving your missionary downfall women right now, especially the details you are painting on each one. Well I went on an all night marathon to try and finish her lady mermaidness, but didn't quite reach the finish line. I have just a few more touch ups to do, and then some experimental new paint stuff (I bought some water based oil paints to try and bring out more of the vibrancy of the colors, as I find that even straight out the of the tube unmixed most acrylics really lose a great deal of brightness and vibrancy when they dry. So I thought maybe if I touched up acrylics with oils it might help, and I would not have to use the more expensive oils for everything). A little nervous with my "experiment" as it does have the potential to ruin it to some degree.

After this, I am afraid I am going to have to halt the painting for a while until I can find some way to pay for new art supplies, including an easel. I could never figure out why artists used easels... after last night I know why. I woke up with such an incredibly stiff and sore neck and back from looking down painting all night, I know now I just have got to get an easel if I continue this. Plus my paints are running low and I am afraid I have grounded several of my brushes on mermaid reef just a little too much: they are mere stubs now. The magazine job is not a paying job right away (at least not more than skittles and rum...if that), like many art jobs these days it's the old idea of working on the ground floor of a fledgling company in the hopes that said company gets "big" and then being paid accordingly. Not much better than "spec" work, but hope rises eternal in today's economy. Meanwhile bills do stack up so I have to scramble to find ANY illustration/graphic design work I can do that pays. So pardon if I am absent for between painting bouts; that is just me trying to swim.

So all that said... on with the show!

Now for some details...

The main attraction blissfully watching another attraction in the foreground. You can see the pitted details/barnacles/seaweed decently in this pic.

And finally, since the lighting is utterly horrible in the dining room where I paint these things, I figured a tilted angle might show the colors a little truer to what they really are.

Next time I part the curtain, she should be finished. This is a wood panel I am painting on, so I am debating what to paint on the sides: just plain blue...more sea life details...or what? Also I really don't have a lot of experience in painting on wood panels, so am wondering if I should use some kind of sealer on it (matte of course if I do). I have a 11X17 Epson scanner, so I am hoping on the final version it will scan the colors much nicer than the camera has been picking up. Well, gang until next time thanks for dropping in to see the tiki mermaid show.

[ This Message was edited by: tigertail777 2011-09-19 21:58 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-20 06:15 am   Permalink

"Water based oil paints" - isn't that an oxymoron?

It's really coming together Jesse, great textures and colors!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-20 08:06 am   Permalink

Hi tigertail777, best wishes for a good situation to come out of all your hard work. The painting is very good with interesting colors and content. I really like the stone effect on the moai.

I was once told that you can't paint any other medium on top of oil paints because the oil will cause the other medium to peel off. Since you are painting oil on top of acrylic maybe it will be fine.

I was also told to wait 3 months before sealing an oil painting or to not seal it at all. All this information or misinformation must be on the net someplace.
Best wishes, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-20 08:23 am   Permalink

homeboy is NAILIN it!
it's reeeeeaaaaaaaly geetin a great vibe now...
the Moai turned out POIFECT!
what a delight to the eyes!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-20 8:41 pm   Permalink

Mike: Yeah, I know first time I heard of water mixable oils I really thought they were pulling my leg. Evidently they have them down to a science now though so much so that many hardcore turps and oil painters have switched over. Thanks for the compliments, your stuff rocks too!

Wendy: Thanks for the advice, I never thought twice about it but have done research on it now. Looks like you can indeed use oils over acrylics if they are thin (mine are since it is on wood panel). I am still unsure about the sealing part, but will call my local art store and ask them to be sure. Really appreciate the heads up on all that I would have been devastated if a "Da Vinci distaster" happened. On a side note, I have been wondering what kind of paint you have been using on your downfall hula girls for the fine details? I mean what kind of paint can be painted over glazed ceramics and not peel off??? I gotta know, it's been driving me crazy trying to figure it out. I can't say it enough by the way, those downfall girls are just incredible.

LLT: Thanks so much, truly high praise coming from someone so talented. Although I feel like a piker after seeing how fast you can knock out such great stuff.

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-02 11:20 am   Permalink

The painting is finally done, but I am waiting for the oils to dry enough to put it on the scanner. Just as well, I kinda feel like crap right now... touch of the flu I think. Will post the final piece soon as I can. Going back to bed now...

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-05 03:14 am   Permalink

Well tiki gang, miss mermaid is finally done and almost dry. Maybe a week more and I can seal her. But meanwhile since the paint was only a little tacky I plopped her on the scanner so you can finally see her true colors in all her glory. I think this has to be the longest I have ever spent on a single painting and probably the most "new" things I have tried in a single piece (oils over acrylics, my first painting with a specific tiki theme, my first full wood panel painting, my first Moai). I think before I move on to another highly intensive painting, I am going to do a more simple fun one I have in mind: a "Wacky Packages" style parody of the Puffa Puffa Rice Cereal box with a hula girl.

Alright, now on with the show... I am happy to present to you ladies and gents: "The Bubble-bath Voyeur", a 16 X 20.5 inch piece showcasing luscious mermaid flush ogled by a lascivious Moai.

Some close up details...

zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-05 04:41 am   Permalink

Nice Job! I really like the feathery brush strokes on the Moai!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-05 05:56 am   Permalink

That's what I'm talkin' about! Turned out great - makes me want to join her for a quick bath!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation