FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tiki Tiger Studios: Big long Egyptian trip report!
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-28 2:53 pm   Permalink

"That's not flying, that's just falling with style" - Woody

Hope you are on the mend soon. I liked your "menu art" ad but will the the theater patrons get that it's an ad for your website? (Some cool stuff on that site BTW)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-28 3:11 pm   Permalink

Rest up! Hope you get better soon!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
umeone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-29 06:52 am   Permalink

Aloha Tigertail777, I'm new at this posting thing myself. I just finished going through your thread, had to tell you I love your work. You have great talent and I can't wait to see your progression on the Mai-Kai billboard. Hope your feeling better soon.

View Profile of umeone Send a personal message to umeone  Email umeone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-30 12:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Looks like I may have more bruised muscles rather than torn ones, so will be getting back in the saddle again soon.

Mike; the patrons may or may not get it. I have gotten very little response from the older more straight forwards ads so I figured I may as well do what I want and see how it goes. I really wanted to tie the new ad into the 1940's Tiki bar theme on my new site. I kind of envisioned doing this kind of advertising as if it were a real historical Tiki bar and tying it into the art from the beginning of the site, I would like to get some matchbooks done and some other paraphernalia eventually.Thanks for stopping by the site and checking it out. Any new mud slingings from you in the works?

ZeroSt. Thanks I will of course be keeping a close eye on all your doings, paint brother.

Umeone: Thanks so much for the kinds words I really appreciate them. I am very much looking forwards to doing the Mai Kai billboard painting. I love painting shadows and lighting and I can see in my mind how wonderful that billboard sign must have been. I really want to bring that vision out and show people what a thing of beauty it once was.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-30 1:45 pm   Permalink

You have been so busy. I needed to go back and read your thread from start to finish. Doing that I found you had asked me a question that I missed. Here's how you paint on glazed ceramics and have it stick.

You clean the surface with rubbing alcohol and do not touch an area to be painted with fingers or the paint will not stick.

Use Liquitex glossies. I used to get it from Michael's with coupons but they stopped carrying it in my area so now I order it through Dick Blick's on-line store. They are horrible and often half of the lid are loose and paint is all over the inside of the box.

After you paint let it dry for 24 or more hours. Then you bake it in the oven at 325 degrees (do not preheat that's bad for ceramics and place them on a cookie sheet) for 45 minuets. Let the ceramics cool in the closed oven until they are room temperature.

As long as the piece is not heated the paint if fine. Put it in a dishwasher and paint will go everywhere. Just like the red paint on the old Harvey's mugs. Lots of vintage mugs etc. have this cold paint and it has survived well.

I'm enjoying your journey creating fine art. Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-30 11:09 pm   Permalink

Hey man!
Glad those Muskles are only bruised!
take it easy...
the colors on that Ad are great and really evoke a nice nostalgic feel
like the graphics on old hallowwen candy!
Quote:
I have gotten very little response from the older more straight forwards ads so I figured I may as well do what I want and see how it goes. I

PERFECT!
I've always believed if you just do what you love and get real good at it
and make it uniquely your own
that the regular folks will finally get it,albeit a little late..
or not and we all die unknown and destitute!
But st least able to have such a blessed life as that of an artist!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-14 03:04 am   Permalink

Here is a new piece... a very strange and weird piece. I have never done any really "artsy fartsy" art, especially anything using recycled materials before but figured it would be interesting to give it a try. I was invited to a group art show that will be displayed in the lobby of the theater I volunteer at, with the theme being Christmas gifts. I knew I would not have time to make a full painting so thought over what to do. While I was cracking open pistachio nuts I had the thought of how interesting it would look to paint these nut shells. Then I had another idea; I wondered if I could make a primitive lenticular out of them. For those that don't know, lenticulars are those pictures with a special plastic laminated on top that when you tilt them they appear to move or change. Basically how this works is there is several pictures sliced into thin strips and then meshed together in such a way that they separate each other with every other line. Then the special plastic has lines in it that act something like a magnifying glass so that when you tilt the picture you only see one set of lines that go together and form a full picture, tilt it the other way and you see the other set of lines and a different picture. It actually works much like the lines on a TV screen.

So my idea was since the nutshells are concave and only show one side at a time when tilted they could conceivably act like a lenticular with three separate picture views: straight on, tilted to the left, and tilted to the right. I knew that because the painting in the the nutshells would not offer a very high "resolution" due to the dot size when viewed that it would have to be a very simple and basic subject. Since the theme of the show was Christmas gifts I decided to dig into my roots; I was born in Honolulu and some of our Christmas traditions stem from when we lived in Hawaii, for instance I have to play a Hawaiian Christmas record we have every year as we bake cookies. I have always liked pineapples; both the flavor and the form and their symbolism of hospitality so decided that was a simple enough subject for the straight on part. With a little testing I realized the two side views would have to be even simpler and went with the Christmas colors of red and green. I almost went with the title of "Mele Kalikimaka Pineapple", but felt the viewers would need a bit of a hint to look at it from different sides. So may I present "Red & Green Pineapple" to you. It is painted pistachio nut shells glued to a recycled wood tray that has been wood burned.

First the straight on view:

From the left where it becomes a red pineapple:

From the right where it becomes a green pineapple:

Bottom and side view showing some of the tapa wood burn design:

Not sure I will try anything like this again anytime soon, but it was an interesting experiment and I kind of like the primitive feel of it. Don't know if it will sell or not at the show but it was fun to do.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-14 06:16 am   Permalink

Great concept! It even worked out reasonably well (wish I could say that about all of my ideas). I think you're right that your "dot resolution" is the limiting factor here. All in all I would say it was a successful experiment

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-14 08:10 am   Permalink

Bold experimentation! Nice job!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
umeone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-14 2:26 pm   Permalink

I am in total awe, the fact that you could explain it so well and then execute it so well! Congratulations on an awesome job! Wow...really... I'm very impressed!

View Profile of umeone Send a personal message to umeone  Email umeone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-15 06:21 am   Permalink

Very cool idea. I love art that changes from different angles. Thanks for sharing your work.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-15 3:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys, I really was not sure how people here were going to accept such a strange piece. It's nice to know I can get a little crazy with things and still have people like it.

Wendy: a belated thanks for telling me about the paints. I appreciate your taking time to tell me, and I would like to try them out some time.

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-21 11:52 pm   Permalink

Viva la Experiment tigertail!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-22 12:43 am   Permalink

You are welcome. That is really a great new idea executed beautifully. Question, have you thought about pouring clear resin on it so that it could be used as a tray or simply protected. It's very pretty and fun. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-22 10:03 pm   Permalink

That is actually a great idea Wendy! I have not messed very much with resin, but I think it could work wonderfully. If it doesn't sell at the show I will try to do that, it's a very cool idea that allows the art to actually be utilitarian as well as decorative, thanks for the idea!

Right now though... let the curtains of heaven part...

I HAVE BEEN HIRED!!!

I am in training right now, but it will soon work into a full time job, and it isn't some lame retail or burger flipping job....OH NO! It is a real honest to goodness 9-5 DESIGN JOB! It's even in the same town I live in; it is a place that creates art glass etchings via sandblasting and other art glass pieces. I will be doing a lot of the art design work as well as pitching in with all the other tasks round about the place. I have been training for almost a week now, and despite all the insane new equipment I need to learn it is an awesome place to work. So I get to not only do hands on traditional art (they like most of their designs to start with real pen & ink), but also working on graphic design digital stuff...the best of both worlds.

Here is my new work place:
www.moonshadowetchers.com They do some incredible stuff!

So this means I will be able to afford art supplies finally to make more Tiki art...I am ecstatic, after two years of not finding much work (aside from the occasional freelance gig) I am dancing with joy... this is going to be a GRRREAT! Christmas!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation