FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Gallery Are my Tikis the real thing?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Are my Tikis the real thing?
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-28 7:02 pm   Permalink

I really enjoy looking at the backgrounds. I wish I could glaze my ceramics with some of them. Fun art. I like aliens. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-29 6:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks Wendy ... My backgrounds are made in layers kinda like dipping in several types of glaze and letting them mix it up .... Do my Tikis look like aliens? Man I'm still not getting it, huh. Wish I was still working in clay,...Gene

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-29 6:56 pm   Permalink

I like the Hawaiian guy (Ku? I never can get them straight) Great woodgraining texture and nice lava background

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-30 7:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks Mike ... I always appreciate your encouraging comments ..... Gene

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-31 8:10 pm   Permalink

Another attempt at good Tiki. A kinda ocean wave background ........

Tucker's Tikis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-01 12:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-12 21:00, Gene S Morgan wrote:
This blue guy is one of my favorites even though he is far from tiki. I think he is an alien. The background I call turtle shell and was created with a pattern maker filter. In the future I will try to do a better job of making my images more tiki like and do some more background work.

I love what you've done with your color here, and an Alien Tiki is fine with me, I've done many Alien Tiki's myself. I agree that your backgrounds are one of your strengths because they compliment your Tiki's

View Profile of Tucker's Tikis Send a personal message to Tucker's Tikis  Goto the website of Tucker's Tikis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-01 5:35 pm   Permalink

lots of "tiki" on Cafe press from this
http://www.cafepress.com/+yellow_labrador_retriever_tiki_bar_tile_coaster,136100751

to this
http://www.cafepress.com/sophistatiki

anything else I could say would be percieved as offensive.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-01 8:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks much Keith. It is really nice for me when a real artist likes some stuff about my graphics. Now if I could only sculpt some hula girls. I have been trying to check out your site, but I live out here in the country with no wireless. (yes I'm so twentieth century) I'll get to the library later this week and do a better job of seeing your art. I'm waiting for the next installment of "Weird Tiki-Comics", but I might have to do some traveling to find Tiki Magazine now that they are closing Borders.

Sophista, I kinda knew I wasn't the only poser on Cafepress. I really liked the second site though, and yes it is a lot classier than mine. I'm an old guy and have made lots of art and craft stuff in my life, some a little good, mostly pretty bad. I'm not easily offended. I love the fact that some really good artist have commented on my work. That makes it worth while for me to take part in Tiki Central.

Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-01 9:09 pm   Permalink

I think what I should have said earlier but couldn't find any polite words in my head, was, There seems to be a range of tastes , something for everyone, and stuff that sells isn't necessarily authentic.
the second site is mine.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-01 9:54 pm   Permalink

Sophista ... I understand taste. Did a lot of art fairs in the past and found that folks who bought my stuff were all a bit weird. So, I'm not so proud that I won't sell to weird folk. I haven't really sold much Tiki stuff on CafePress. I sell mostly music stuff. That is an area I have been in for a long time. I came to Tiki Central to try to get some help improving my graphics. I have been pretty lucky so far because folks who are far better than I will ever be have made some helpful comments on my work. That makes it worthwhile hanging around here .... Yes I do like your stuff ..... Gene

Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-02 03:00 am   Permalink

Plenty of weird around here, and I think we are all proud to call ourselves weird. And plenty of us have vended events too, so we know a couple of things about what people buy, . Its been my observation that people will spend $200 on a pile of chachkies and NOT spend the same $200 on an actual nice piece of art.( thats my area where if I really said what I thought about peoples taste I could offend all kinds of people so I wont).and we have gotten into the taste is subjective conversation here on TC oh about a thousands times. Its a big can of worms. Have you been over to OTHER CRAFTS? Thats where you will find help improving your graphics, there is even a thread about digital vs hand drawn. Every artists under the tiki sun on TC has a thread or 2 over there about what they do and how they do it.
There's really no need to defend or explain yourself, When you jump into the frey of offereing up what you do for critique from other artists you're gonna get all kind of feedback, , Lots of pats on the back and encouraging words, and some things that may change your perspective. I mearly offered a juxtaposition of styles, from one extreme to the other as an example of whats being called "tiki"on CafePress. Its also been my observation that the CafePress shopper doesn't go to that site to buy tiki stuff, If they are really into tiki then they know what they are looking at. whats good and whats going to get them laughed out of the home bar bus tour. If they're buying tiki stuff from Cafe Press its because they're buying a specific artists products.

So, really, start yourself a thread over in OTHER CRAFTS with your images and how you arived at your teqnique and you will gets all kinds of feedback. The more you delve into the endless resource materiial here on TC the more you will see what is and isnt tiki all on your own.

[ This Message was edited by: Sophista-tiki 2011-09-02 03:01 ]

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-02 9:46 pm   Permalink

Dawn ... Hope you don't mind me using your name. I'm old and this user name stuff kinda confuses me. I'm not really trying to prolong what you just meant as some friendly advise, but I just wanted to make it clear that I did not join Tiki Central because I thought I could sell my Cafepress stuff here. I have belonged to a number of different forums and never found that to be of any marketing value. Also I try not to offer opinions, because my opinions often cause me trouble. I was sorry I used the term "weird" as soon as I pressed the submit button. I meant weird only in the kindest way. I love weird. I'm weird. Weird makes the world go around.

I try to keep a low profile here, but it was the digital design thread that first got me speaking up. I gave a brief intro of some of my processes and software I use. Thor even downloaded a free sculpting program I use and started using it. I never pushed my methods beyond that because I don't want to cause any more controversy than I already have. By just showing my stuff I feel that folks judge my work rather than my techniques. It has worked for me so far. I even got some helpful advise from Sven. I'm just trying to learn some stuff without stepping on anyone's toes .... I finally got to check out your site and I want to thank you, an artist of great talent, for trying to help me a bit as well ...... Thanks Gene

Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-03 2:52 pm   Permalink

we all love weoid too! so youre right at home here

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-04 7:51 pm   Permalink

OK, this is kinda off Tiki I guess. Somehow he ended up a teapot. At least I didn't add a handle and spout. The background is pretty abstract. I tend to lean that way. Sometimes a guy feels like mimicking reeds or thatch and other times you just gotta go a little Picasso ......

ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-09 12:12 pm   Permalink

Remember Gene... If you are passionate about it, that's what matters. There are definitely aspects that correlate to Tiki in your work. Keep it up.
ZeroTiki

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation