FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki A possible Tiki Oasis 2012 theme?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
A possible Tiki Oasis 2012 theme?
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 07:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-24 06:59, JOHN-O wrote:
For those attendees unhappy with all of the Burlesque (i.e. "Titty" Oasis) we can have Missionary-style Tiki Oasis.

Does that mean you'll be giving a Missionary-style seminar there,John-O?

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 08:36 am   Permalink

Funny, I was just wondering yesterday about what the theme would be next year. I thought "Hollywood" would be simple and provide a big canvas.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 5:53 pm   Permalink

At this date the theme for TO12 is this....

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lucky Jackson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-24 6:59 pm   Permalink

How about a back to basics tiki themed Oasis... "Tiki Oasis"! Perhaps I'm just a bit of a purist

View Profile of Lucky Jackson Send a personal message to Lucky Jackson  Goto the website of Lucky Jackson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 7:10 pm   Permalink

In that case you might find either Tiki Caliente or Mojave Oasis to your liking.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Pop
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-24 7:35 pm   Permalink

Looking at the pics of the event, and reading the comments, Im sure it was a kick ass, fun filled successful party. Well organized and managed, filled with talented artists and performers....with that being said i agree with the above purist comment...get the Tiki back in Tiki Oasis. Do you really need a theme other than tiki?
You got tijuana tiki here....Whats next a "jimmy buffet" tiki oasis? Oasis has def. changed in 10 yrs.
and like polynesian pop devolved, this event seems to be devolving from that theme. JohnO i agree withyou.
Tiki Oasis 1 and 2 i miss you.
aloha

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Pop 2011-08-24 20:04 ]

View Profile of Tiki Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Pop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-RAY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 8:30 pm   Permalink

Ive been saying it for years because thats what really got me motivated . I had only carved a few tikis for myself at the time when I went to Vegas and attended Mondo Tiki at the Hard Rock . Thats where I first me Holden and Crazy Al . They told me of an event the next month called Tiki Oasis 2. I ended up vending and from that point I was hooked because I found others who shared my secret passion . It was all about the tiki and the lifestyle . Its just my opinion but "Tiki" is enough theme for me .Its like having a themed Halloween party ????????? What theme ? Its already Halloween . I went to T.O. this year but just visited the vendors and helped in a room party . I had the best time too. I just didnt get the Mexican theme but it was ok . Im just one guy . I really dont care if you make it Toga Party Tiki . Ill go to the parts that appeal to me .

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI-RAY 2011-08-24 20:43 ]

View Profile of TIKI-RAY Send a personal message to TIKI-RAY  Email TIKI-RAY Goto the website of TIKI-RAY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 8:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-24 19:35, Tiki Pop wrote:
...this event seems to be devolving from that theme. JohnO i agree with you.

Devolution is a harsh word, the event was still mid-century culture Kool.

Actually it was this year's theme that really interested me. I love the TJB (and ironically I was having such a good time in a room party that I missed HERB ).

I attended 4 different multi-day Tiki events this year, each one very unique but still true to Tiki-style's original spirit.

I must say Oasis was the most SURREAL of them all (and that's a good thing ).

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 9:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-24 20:30, TIKI-RAY wrote:
It was all about the tiki and the lifestyle .Its just my opinion but "Tiki" is enough theme for me. Its like having a themed Halloween party ????????? What theme ? Its already Halloween. I really dont care if you make it Toga Party Tiki . I'll go to the parts that appeal to me .

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI-RAY 2011-08-24 20:43 ]

I have to agree with this comment. Living in Australia, i haven't had the chance to attend a Tiki Oasis event yet, but i plan on going next year. I'm going to take out a loan from the bank if i have to.

If/WHEN i make it over there i really don't care if there is a theme, but i agree with TIKI-RAY that isn't the theme "Tiki" itself. There are other threads on this site discussing the devolution of tiki and whether or not hotrods, and burlesque, and fezzes etc. belong in tiki culture and yet this years theme was Mexican and next years it seems will be SPY themed. I don't understand.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-24 10:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-24 00:51, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Maybe we should just stick to the Spy Theme, Crime Jazz & Spy tunes, John-Os Cold War idea fits right in
(Man from U.N.C.L.E., I Spy, The Prisoner, Secret Agent Man etc.) all from the classic Tiki era.

ok I know that Inspector Gadget was a 80's cartoon,
and not a cool 50s or 60's movie or TV show about spys.

But I think I may have found a good candidate for someone playing spy tunes.
http://www.dump.com/2011/07/18/inspector-gadget-tapping-on-a-guitar-video/

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-25 09:23 am   Permalink

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-25 10:15 am   Permalink

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-25 10:40 am   Permalink

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-25 11:38 am   Permalink

Having never attended a Tiki Oasis, I think I'd jump on a plane for a Conquistador/Tiki crossover.

Or Owls. Owls and Tiki go together like Peanut Butter and Calculus.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-25 1:18 pm   Permalink

How about a Bad Tiki theme. All Party City and Buffett stuff. Just bring out your worst of the worst gifted shirts and Mayan tiki stuff. Everyone carry a plastic Big Lots tiki cup or an accoutrement one. Someone do a seminar on Oriental Trading company luaua decor through the years...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation