FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Polynesian Floor Show - (Vintage!) thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Polynesian Floor Show - (Vintage!) thread
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-13 7:02 pm   Permalink

And, on a related note, let's not forget the Maori show bands who, from the 1950s onwards, played all over the world, including cities like Sydney, Tokyo, L.A. and Las Vegas, and in exotic locales like Hong Kong, Singapore and Vietnam (during the war). Some of them, like the Maori Volcanics, are still going today.

Prince Tui Teka & The Maori Volcanics

Here is a book worth tracking down:

http://www.chrisbourke.co.nz/main.php?id=showband

And here is a concise history of Maori show bands by David Waretini-Karena:

http://www.slideshare.net/taima/maori-show-bands-by-david-waretinikarena

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-13 10:39 pm   Permalink

Of all the posts here that "aren't quite what I had in mind", this is one of the cooler ones, since it points towards a really obscure facet of Polynesian pop I had no knowledge of previously. That book does seem like a real gem.

Well, and it reminded me of my all time favorite music video, which equally does not really fit in here, but provides a hell of a good time! :

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1l62j_epi-shalfoon-his-melody-boys-1930_music

(Sorry for the commercial)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-13 10:56 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2011-09-14 08:01 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-13 11:43 pm   Permalink

No it's NOT, Jim:

Vintage vintage vintage VIIIIIIIIIIINTAGE floorshow pictures ONLY in this thread- WHY is that so hard to fathom?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 03:57 am   Permalink

Hawaii Calls show at the Fireside Restuarant with singer Blue Pau.

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 04:09 am   Permalink

Francis Llacuna as part of the International Four at the Tradewinds Restaurant. One of the dancers was a very young Bobbie Gentry! Wish I had a better picture.

I got a newspaper article about the show as well that I will post. Enjoy!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 04:37 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2011-09-13 22:39, bigbrotiki wrote:

Well, and it reminded me of my all time favorite music video, which equally does not really fit in here, but provides a hell of a good time! :

[/

Thanks for that video! Wonderful stuff. Just to end my minor derailment of this great thread, here are a couple more pics of Maori show bands:

The Maori Hi-Five, playing in the Embassy Club, London, 1961.

And the Quin-Tikis, who formed in Rotorua in 1961 and began their overseas touring in 1964.

But to put things back on track, the question now is: can we find any evidence of these Maori show bands having performed at tiki joints in the US in the 60s or 70s? I wouldn't be surprised if they performed shows in such locales.

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 07:37 am   Permalink

Was this the greatest Polynesian revue ever ?? And by greatest I don't mean the most authentic, I mean the most over-the-top "Hollywood spectacular". No great revelation with this familiar photo...

But I did stumble across this short exchange of internet
reminiscing between ex-performers.

So we now know there were gorillas, a mermaid, a belly dancer with snakes, and a virgin sacrifice.

I have to believe there's a home movie of this somewhere that will someday show up on YouTube.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 07:40 am   Permalink

A number of years ago, I sold some mugs to a fellow in Florida. After he received them, he sent along the following photo, brochure, and letter. I invited him to join us on TC, but he never responded. The photo isn't that vintage, but the brochure is older, and the letter gives some nice history.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 07:50 am   Permalink

Wanted to add Doug Alii and the Hinano's.

And a photo from an incredible story of the performers at the Hawaiian Room in the Emerson hotel.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=40757&forum=2&hilite=doug alii

DC
DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 07:59 am   Permalink

Wow, how cool, the Quin-Tikis with a Hei Tiki logo! Where did the "Quin" come from?

Love the internet, there's lots of stuff on them out there:
"Quin Tikis were a popular act at Les Masliah's Tiki Village in Kings Cross, Sydney."

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~mstowers/id69.htm

Here's a Richard Lester/Monkees-style clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnBVBTaXJ98

I doubt they performed in any Tiki temples in the US. They were a "young generation" beat act, and Tiki restaurants were for the "establishment". Even Exotica artists were not that common in these places: It's surprising in how few Polynesian venues Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman played considering how perfect an act they were for these environments.

American Polynesian palaces were mostly entertained by "Hawaiian music" bands and floorshows. So let's continue with that subject now, please.

Hey, it appears we already had a thread on this subject on TC!:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21983&forum=11

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-09-14 09:29 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 08:11 am   Permalink

Greg, that letter really shows how much these performers got around! They probably saw more Tiki places in their careers than anybody else! Of course they did not pay much attention to the decor at the time, but to hear their trajectory is like a who's who of the American Tiki bar landscape.

And John-O, great digging-up of that Facebook conversation!:

"They were a really sweet couple to work for, barry. I also worked for kapu bray. Nice lady. There was no other place like it. It was only open three days on the weekends, but it would be packed with huge parties from the airlines, companies, etc. As well as couples and small parties. Five dance bands, bananas to pick from the trees, train, lagoon with boat. I remember a belly dancer with two snakes; usually about fifteen to twenty polynesian dancers, two guys in gorilla suits, and kimo mansfield was one of the principle dancers. He was nephew to my kumu, telu mansfield. Several knife dancers, great musicians. Loads of fun! Rip, danny. You gave the public a true experience when they visited the tikis. T.Maglares"

"The Tikis.... Soooo many memories. My Mom danced there (the position of the one in white) in her 40lbs headpiece!?! Always fun to watch her being "sacrificed" to Pele. Or her being a "mermaid" having to be carried in and out from here "perch." I danced there for the Saturday kids show. Nakaikaina do you remember going into the "haunted house" and walking around all the props with the fake blood and everything? LOL Running through the caves. Does anyone remember back in the 80's when Danny was doing a "relaunch" of the Tikis? I danced at that too but I don't think it held a candle to the original. Good times. Great memories."

I'll post some more The Tikis stuff here...

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 11:30 am   Permalink

Here are a few more postcards and matchbooks I have showing the entertainment at The Tikis in Monterey Park.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 11:39 am   Permalink

Very cool, thank you, that last matchbook zoom-in is fine! What a bevy of beauties, no wonder Danny got seduced...

Here are some more from this Olympus of story book Polynesia!:

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 11:54 am   Permalink

And here photos of the "re-launch" mentioned in the Flickr (not FaceBook!) conversation:

The park that never opened and became the famed archeological site:

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation