FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Polynesian Floor Show - (Vintage!) thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
The Polynesian Floor Show - (Vintage!) thread
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-10 08:44 am   Permalink

Time to give this thread a little bump. Here are a few news-wire photos that feature Billy Tavake performing at the Wiki Wiki Lounge in the famous Tiki Gardens.

The photos date from 1980 and Bigbro started this thread with an article about Billy Tavake playing at the Lanai and the Tonga Room in 1963. The gentleman performing with Billy is also shown in the 1963 photo as Edie Nakiso. Now that's a career of playing together!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAIA_HI

Posted: 2011-12-13 4:17 pm   Permalink

ALOHA KAKOU....'I HAVE IN MY POSSESION TWO MAORI "POUPOU" TIKI THAT WAS FROM THE "HAWAIIAN HUT" @ THE ALAMOANA HOTEL HONOLULU, HI. IM LOOKING FOR ANYONE WHO MIGHT WANT TO PURCHASE THEM AND GIVE THEM A GOOD HOME?

5 FEET X 18 INCHES

THEY BOTH ARE IN EXCELLENT SHAPE AND LOOKING AT THE INTRICACY AND DETAIL OF THE WORK, I ASSUME THEY WERE DONE BY EITHER A MASTER CARVER OR A CARVER THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING? HERE ARE SOME PICTURES OF THE CARVINGS SOME TAKEN BY ME AND THE OTHERS I HAVE FOUND ON LINE WHEN THEY WERE APART OF THE "HAWAIIAN HUT" SHOW. I CAN BE REACHED ON MY CELL ( 673-5754 ) OR EMAIL:
KAIA_HI@YAHOO.COM.
MAKE ME A FAIR OFFER AND ITS YOURS. HERE ARE SOME PICTURES....

[ This Message was edited by: KAIA_HI 2011-12-13 16:28 ]

View Profile of KAIA_HI Send a personal message to KAIA_HI      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-07 11:16 am   Permalink

I was wondering what troupe is depicted here:

I cannot say if this is Pre- or Post Tiki Revival, I found it in here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtcXc2gUIwU&feature=related

A nice, "white" version of the song. WARNING! Clicking on this link might lead to uncontrolled following of cool vintage Soundie videos such as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl-2W2Tc4jA&feature=related

...or this (even if M.O.S.):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QWI23Sht40&feature=related

....an addictive activity for which I refuse to take any responsibility for. You might find yourself hours later, having procrastinated on all the responsibilities of the day!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-17 07:54 am   Permalink

Wailana Waiwaiole McFall, who leads her own troupe of Polynesian performers at the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach, shared this family photo with me...

This photo was taken circa 1965 at the now defunct Bali-Hai Polynesian Restaurant & Supper Club in Northport, Long Island, New York. In the back center is Wailana’s Hawaiian dad, Prince Benjamin Pokii Waiwaiole, photographed together with his mid-century Polynesian troupe, “Silhouettes of the Tropics.” According to Wailana, he really was a member of the Hawaiian royalty, among the last before statehood. They appeared primarily at the Bali-Hai, but also toured other clubs, such as the South Pacific Polynesian Restaurant and Gardens in Hallandale (see family photo in the South Pacific thread). Wailana’s dad and her French-Tahitian mom also performed with Otila Massaro’s “South Sea Island Magic,” the original Polynesian show at the Hawaiian Inn.

Prince Benjamin Pokii Waiwaiole passed away in 1972. He now rests at a Northport cemetery...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-27 8:51 pm   Permalink

Here we have a press photo of Varoa Tiki and the Tikis.

Varoa was of course started back in Hawaii with Sterling Mossman at Queens Surf.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-27 10:07 pm   Permalink

GREAT photo! I am very fond of PEOPLE with the name Tiki, so even though this gal is technically not part of POLYNESIAN floor show history, I want to ask if anyone here has any documentation about her, I missed her photo on e-bay:

Burlesque dancer Tiki La Ture

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-27 9:36 pm   Permalink

But wait, another dancer with a Tiki name!

Lona Tiki.

DC

TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-28 05:30 am   Permalink

In response to bigbrotiki's call here for more information regarding Tiki La Ture, I came across this article in the entertainment section of a 1968 Youngstown, Ohio newspaper...

Youngstown Vindicator January 25, 1968 (page 47)

Here's another image of her on the web...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-06 03:47 am   Permalink

another "tiki" name -

Ihilani and band with Pele Tiki dancing on the right and Kalani on the left.

check out
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=40757&forum=2&10 for more...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 11:15 pm   Permalink

Anybody heard of Kent Girard? Some photos from ebay circa 1957.

DC

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 11:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks Dusty, great pics!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-09 08:29 am   Permalink

A flier advertising Herbie Kaye's Tahiti A-Go-Go. You could rent these acts for your Tiki bar.

Out of Beverly Hills no less!

DC

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-09 11:51 am   Permalink

Thanks Dusty Cajones, you've got some really nice contributions to the thread. GROG like.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nibblegribitz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-26 8:13 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
In reference to the Swanky post Posted: 2011-09-13 11:09 am

The bass player in Clipper and South Pacific photos is Pat Stroehle.(nice man)
He played with my father, George Hines at the Clipper too.
He also went on to play at Polynesian Hotel at Disney World.

Ukulele player in the middle of South Pacific photo is Marshall Hall, an excellent Steel guitar player.

The "unknown" toete player in Mai Kai photo is Taafili.
The "unknown" dancer is Tuai.

The first Mai Kai club date show photo is Heitapu, unknown blocked dancer, Liva and her cousin Andrea.

View Profile of nibblegribitz Send a personal message to nibblegribitz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation