FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki A-Frames, Tailfins, and the Jet Age
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
A-Frames, Tailfins, and the Jet Age
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-25 3:00 pm   Permalink

Great memories, TT. Nice ride, too.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-27 10:53 pm   Permalink

Saw this ad online for a 1961 Olds and thought that it belonged on this thread.

Great photos, ladies and gentlemen.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-28 3:01 pm   Permalink

Great image! That reminded me of this '63 T-Bird ad, Luckydesigns will like it:

Though by that year, tailfins were pretty much phased out.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-28 4:55 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's great, Sven! I've never seen that ad before!!

That '63 T-Bird is the same basic body style as my '62. There ARE tail fins (albeit smallish). You can see them in the picture that I posted...

'63 is the last year of tailfins of just about any size, on any car. Unless someone can prove me wrong... I'd be interested to see anything 1964 and newer with fins.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-28 6:38 pm   Permalink

We dont have many A-frames of any sort here in Australia, much less tiki bars - so here's a pic of my '61 Holden wagon at the beach If you've had a few drinks the plate almost reads Hawaii

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-10-30 10:55 am   Permalink

So I'm definitely bending the requirements on this one and even though I'm really loving the current pictures of Tiki Central members and their Fin-mobiles, I thought this should go here - it's the long gone Millionaires Club in Beverly Hills on La Cienega's Restaurant Row in 1963, next door to the Captain's Table. It's not an A-Frame but I'm gonna call it an Octopus entrance, which reminds me of the Sahara's Don the Beachcomber Huts.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-30 2:18 pm   Permalink

Octopus entrances ?? I call them Octo-frames.

Here's another famous mid-century Octo-frame icon, the entrance to Pacific Ocean Park in Santa Monica.

Also some vintage cars at POP. (albiet not in the same photos as the Octo-frame )

And there were A-frames at POP.

Sorry for the de-rail (Boris started it !!) but try to imagine all this stuff in one image.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-30 3:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-28 16:55, Luckydesigns wrote:
I'd be interested to see anything 1964 and newer with fins.

I guess it would depend on your definition of tailfins. The Cadillac Eldorado had rear fenders that stuck up above the trunk lid up until 1970. The 1971 model still had seperate "fins" but they were lower than the trunk. There were some assorted foreign cars (Russian, etc) that had fins up into the 70s because they didn't redesign their old 1960 tooling but they don't count

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-10-30 3:53 pm   Permalink

Not beng a car guy at all and also being too lazy to look it up what year did Fins officially begin and when did they stop?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-10-30 7:06 pm   Permalink

Another car ad that might fit the bill. This one's the Pontiac '66

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-10-31 01:04 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2011-10-30 10:55, Bora Boris wrote:

Great contrast between those two cars in the lot. The roadster looks like it could fit in the trunk of the other one. I'd expect to see either a shriner, a clown, or a gorilla driving that little car, or maybe all 3.

Sounds like a joke - a shriner, a clown and a gorilla walk into a bar in Beverly Hills. Shriner says, "Is this your gorilla?" Clown says, "Gorilla? They told me it was a Doberman!"

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Trader
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-10-31 10:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-10-30 15:53, Bora Boris wrote:
Not beng a car guy at all and also being too lazy to look it up what year did Fins officially begin and when did they stop?

Well, this is certainly a matter of opinion. Are you going to call any protuberance on the back of a car a "tailfin?" If so, Cadillac had some bumps on the back in the late 40's, but if you want to know who exemplifies the true Jet Age styling, I say it was Virgil Exner (cue photo of Exner with tailfin and jets):

He created the "Forward Look," a corporate-wide design theme for Chrysler (including Dodge, DeSoto, Plymouth, and Imperial) from 1956-1961. He's also credited with causing the radical redesign of 1959 General Motors cars when GM designers got a sneak peak of the 1957 Chrysler products and trashed everything on the drawing board.

TT

View Profile of Tonga Trader Send a personal message to Tonga Trader      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-10-31 10:31 am   Permalink

That works for me.

Thank you TT!

Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-31 10:43 am   Permalink

I second the start theory TT, Thanks! As far as the end I guess I think in Cadillac terms....IMHO the 1964 was THE END....compare to the 1965 which has more of a sail panel effect.. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-31 12:59 pm   Permalink

Well, we had a great unexpected run of Tiki owner/operated WHITE mid-century mod cars here, guys, that was neat...and then the ads!

And I love all the other related images, too, so in the spirit of general context, I have this to ad:

Quote:

On 2011-10-31 01:04, aquarj wrote:
Great contrast between those two cars in the lot. The roadster looks like it could fit in the trunk of the other one. I'd expect to see either a shriner, a clown, or a gorilla driving that little car, or maybe all 3.

Actually, the kind of guy who would drive these Austin-Healey/MG sports cars at the time would have looked something like this:

That kinda car and pipe smoking went hand in hand. The look denoted an individualist, a suave and distinguished but modern man, such as this...

...often an advertising exec or creative, almost bohemian but not Beatnik, not necessarily a ladies' man, also someone who could have a family:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation