FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Hukilau Vintage etc. Bar Restaurants and Lauderdale / Miami ,etc area attractions.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Hukilau Vintage etc. Bar Restaurants and Lauderdale / Miami ,etc area attractions.
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-06-24 5:45 pm   Permalink

Come hell or high water, I'm going to Cap's Place (see my earlier post in this topic) this year.

Maybe I shouldn't say "high water"!

[ This Message was edited by: thejab on 2005-06-24 17:45 ]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-25 11:20 am   Permalink

I too have been hearing comsi-comsa revues regarding Versailles for Cuban food. There is always La Carreta across the street from Versailles, which is also is 24 hours and is owned by the same fellow who owns Versailles.

Regarding other Cuban food eateries, I've had great luck from the Latin American chain as well as anything from Sergio's which is open late on Friday & Saturday.

Will have to research Broward county. But its nothing a search in the Florida section of
www.ChowHound.com can't fix. Enter the site, click on the South, and then click Florida. Thanks S.M. Kopelman, Tikilicious' other half.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-25 1:36 pm   Permalink

Im sort of surprised no one saw Steve's great article on the Hukilau website! In the section called "Rare Eats"! He and I spent months going to all these places, and he spent a really long time writing up this great review on where all the Hukilau folks can go eat. It was torturous research I tellz ya, going from restaurant to restaurant, all that delicious food.... we really SUFFERED for all of YOU! To know where to EAT! What we went through for all of you, OH MY TIKI! (was it ever good! LOL!)
Here is a link for those who didnt know where to find it. Enjoy! I know we REALLY enjoyed doin the research, and my Daddy-O really enjoyed writing it up for our wonderful guests to South Fla.

Either go to
www.thehukilau.com and then click on "LINKS", and click on "RARE EATS", Or just go here:

http://www.thehukilau.com/2005/rareeats.html

YUMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve is what is known as a "chowhounder", or a "foodie". He is obsessed with really GREAT food. No chains... just those wonderful mom n' pop shops and holes in the walls, and great great delicious places that have been around for ages. He writes for the South Florida New Times. EAT 'ER UP!

Steve's honeybee,

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-25 1:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-25 11:20, I dream of tiki wrote:
I too have been hearing comsi-comsa revues regarding Versailles for Cuban food. There is always La Carreta across the street from Versailles, which is also is 24 hours and is owned by the same fellow who owns Versailles.

Regarding other Cuban food eateries, I've had great luck from the Latin American chain as well as anything from Sergio's which is open late on Friday & Saturday.

Will have to research Broward county. But its nothing a search in the Florida section of www.ChowHound.com can't fix. Enter the site, click on the South, and then click Florida. Thanks S.M. Kopelman, Tikilicious' other half.

LOL Steve thanks YOU, Miss Liz! We hope to dine out with you again soon!

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-25 3:20 pm   Permalink

TIKIFISH!!!!!
There's a place to get poutine at Hukilau!!!!
(from Steve's page)
Dairy Belle: The towns just south of Ft. Lauderdale are popular with French Canadian tourists, which means there are a lot of hairy old men in Speedos and almost as many places to get authentic Quebecois food. Take this '60s-style hot dog and soft ice-cream stand. They've got a press-on menu board. They've got picnic tables under an awning. They've got poutine and guedilles, which are gravy fries with cheese curds and gloppy mayo-and-lettuce sandwiches on hot dog buns, respectively, and a steady stream of sunburned, homesick people speaking French. [118 N. Federal Hwy. (US1), Dania, a few minutes south of the airport, heading away from Ft. Lauderdale.]

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-25 5:12 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 16:08 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-25 6:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-25 15:20, purple jade wrote:
TIKIFISH!!!!!
There's a place to get poutine at Hukilau!!!!
(from Steve's page)
Dairy Belle: The towns just south of Ft. Lauderdale are popular with French Canadian tourists, which means there are a lot of hairy old men in Speedos and almost as many places to get authentic Quebecois food. Take this '60s-style hot dog and soft ice-cream stand. They've got a press-on menu board. They've got picnic tables under an awning. They've got poutine and guedilles, which are gravy fries with cheese curds and gloppy mayo-and-lettuce sandwiches on hot dog buns, respectively, and a steady stream of sunburned, homesick people speaking French. [118 N. Federal Hwy. (US1), Dania, a few minutes south of the airport, heading away from Ft. Lauderdale.]

YEAH. Their poutine is SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD. Steve introduced it to me, actually. Our apartment is about 10 or 15 minutes away, and back when we were still dating and not yet living together, he tried to romance me by taking me to The Dairy Belle. My dear, it WORKED. That poutine was to DIE FOR. I was practically licking the gravy out of the little paper boat it came in. I forced him to move in shortly thereafter.

I grew up in New Orleans, by the way! Say hi to all of my old friends for me!

Hope you get to gobble up some poutine while you're here!

thejab

Posted: 2005-06-26 11:01 am   Permalink

Tark's Clam Bucket! Buffalo shrimp, mmmmmm.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-06-26 11:42 am   Permalink

Here's a recent Chowhound post on old Ft. Lauderdale restaurants.

http://www.chowhound.com/south/boards/florida/messages/16866.html

But in Steve's reply he says the Mai Kai's food is mediocre-to-bad! Hmmm. I don't agree.

I find Chowhound a good resource once in a while but sometimes people are a bit too critical, especially when reviewing old places. Often the food is of a different style than nouveau cuisine so it's not going to be great, but you have to go in with an open attitude and lower expectations. For example I would never compare Trader Vic's or the Mai Kai's food (which IMO ranges from fair to very good) to my favorite moderately-priced Bay Area restaurants like Fringale or Ideale or Bay Wolf. It's just not a fair comparison.

I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 1:31 pm   Permalink

Anyone venturing down to Miami for Cuban food, Versailles is no longer 24 hours. Not sure if this is off-season hours but they close at 2:30 AM on Sunday thru Thrus. Open till 3:30 AM on Fridays & Saturdays.

La Carreta across the street (SW 8 St, that is) is open until 3 AM Sundays thru Thursdays & is open 24 hours on Fridays & Saturdays.

I don't know about other folks, but night owls like me need those open late places.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 3:19 pm   Permalink

If you want the best mojitos, go to the Samba Room in Fort Lauderdale, not too far from the Bahia Mar on 350 East Las Olas Blvd. Food is very good also!

http://www.sambaroom.net/

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-16 11:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-14 13:31, I dream of tiki wrote:
Anyone venturing down to Miami for Cuban food, Versailles is no longer 24 hours. Not sure if this is off-season hours but they close at 2:30 AM on Sunday thru Thrus. Open till 3:30 AM on Fridays & Saturdays.

La Carreta across the street (SW 8 St, that is) is open until 3 AM Sundays thru Thursdays & is open 24 hours on Fridays & Saturdays.

I don't know about other folks, but night owls like me need those open late places.

Liz, isn't there a La Carreta in Broward? I know there used to be one in Pembroke Pines near the corner of University Drive and Hollywood/Pines Blvd.

There are so many good cuban places in Broward, I don't think its necessary to drive all the way down to SW 8th Street in Miami -- unless people wanted to do some sight-seeing.

By the way, for those looking for the French Canadian places to eat, I know there used to be several places along the boardwalk on Hollywood Beach. Are those still there?

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-16 11:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-16 11:07, joefla70 wrote:

There are so many good cuban places in Broward, I don't think its necessary to drive all the way down to SW 8th Street in Miami -- unless people wanted to do some sight-seeing.

NAMES, please!! : )

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-16 10:31 pm   Permalink

Joe, you are definitely right about La Carretta being a chain and probably having an existing location MUCH closer. I was just putting the word out in case anyone is making the trek to the banana republic that is Miami.

Do we happen to have any names of Cuban & other fun Latin eats joints that locals would like to name & comment on? My knowledge is mostly Miami.

mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-20 5:20 pm   Permalink

ok, this March 19, 2006 listing from SouthFlorida.com ( http://www.southflorida.com/dining/sfe-thebest-landmarkrestaurants,0,3200350.story?coll=sfe-main-promo ) lists some great sounding restaurants! Anyone have feedback on these? Are they still vintage inside or updated to modern blandness? Hows the food, etc?

The Ambry http://www.southflorida.com/dining/24899,0,5975622.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Anthony's Runway 84 http://www.southflorida.com/dining/17365,0,4795964.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Joe's Stone Crab http://www.southflorida.com/dining/17641,0,4861497.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Jumbo's Restaurant http://www.southflorida.com/dining/101419,0,6103247.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Okeechobee Steakhouse http://www.southflorida.com/dining/17921,0,5189178.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Pomperdale New York Deli http://www.southflorida.com/dining/55819,0,6172226.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Rustic Inn http://www.southflorida.com/dining/17394,0,5123646.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Sea Watch http://www.southflorida.com/dining/24190,0,4009526.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Ta-Boo http://www.southflorida.com/dining/18056,0,4402746.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Testa's http://www.southflorida.com/dining/18056,0,4402746.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo

I edited out my signature on old posts to keep this thread SHORTER--you don't want to see ZAZZ over and over again!

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2006-03-20 17:26 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation