FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Travel Ľ Ľ Hukilau Vintage etc. Bar Restaurants and Lauderdale / Miami ,etc area attractions.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Hukilau Vintage etc. Bar Restaurants and Lauderdale / Miami ,etc area attractions.
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-04 2:18 pm   Permalink

I visited Rascal House in North Miami Beach last Sunday to find that the original neon on the facade of the building and the wonderful classic sign from the parking lot had all been damaged and trashed after hurricane Wilma. I almost drove right past but the shape of the building caught my eye. Of course, the food was still yummy!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-17 08:39 am   Permalink

Went to The Rustic Inn this weekend and loved it. It gets crowded and loud, but the crabs were excellent. It has an old-Keys feel to the place with an enphasis on ambiance. Can't tell you much about the food because every time I go I get the steamed blue crabs/garlic crabs. but this place has a lot of character. After dinner go out on the dock and feed the tarpons - its the only place north of the keys that you can do that (I think).

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-06 7:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-17 08:39, AlohaStation wrote:
Went to The Rustic Inn this weekend and loved it....

Love the Inn! The only place we have found in Florida where we can get Dungeness done right and a taste of San Francisco......

And, not sure they have anything other than crab. I know they have a menu, but have never gotten past the crab!

And, I hoping that some of us locals can get together and come up with a new list of places to eat near Hukilau for 2006. I know! Lets meet at the Mai-Kai!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-24 2:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-17 08:39, AlohaStation wrote:
Can't tell you much about the food because every time I go I get the steamed blue crabs/garlic crabs.

Aloha... have you ever tried the GOLDEN garlic crabs? They are just as tasty as the blue crabs, but WAY bigger. My family and I have been going to the Rustic Inn since I was a kid. Back then, the blue crabs were a pretty decent size. Now, they are so tiny that it is almost not worth the effort to get the little bit of meat out of them. But the Golden Crabs have lots of meat. I highly recommend them.

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pomaika i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-11 05:36 am   Permalink

I didn't see a post anywhere about "Vintage a-Go-Go" but this is a store that can't be missed!

Every time we go to Ft Lauderdale, we stop off and get something. This weekend, I bought an ivory purse from the 40s to go with my wedding dress

The owner just got back from Hawaii and there are tons of gorgeous barkcloth shirts.

(not too far from the Mai-Kai!)
It's in a line of stores basically where US 1 and Sunrise split.
Phone # 954-767-6441

Enjoy!

View Profile of Pomaika i Send a personal message to Pomaika i      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-09-20 10:48 am   Permalink

Hukilau is near so I'm bumping these related topics. HUKILAU!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shellygirl101

Posted: 2006-09-27 06:30 am   Permalink

You can also visit http://www.restaurantplace.com to view restaurant menus. It is a great site that help you decide where to eat. Hope it helps. Enjoy!

View Profile of shellygirl101 Send a personal message to shellygirl101      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-10 8:33 pm   Permalink

We had several great meals in the Ft Lauderdale area ~ Iíve included links to restaurant reviews, and of course, pictures of our food.

Bettyís Soul Food
601 NW 22ND Rd
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(954) 583-9121
Oh, yeah ~ folks in hawaiian shirts ainít seen often in this part of town, and thatís a pity, cuz the food and hospitality here is like eating with ohana. Well, sorta. You know what I mean. Puamana and Mr Bytes had the Fried Chicken.. I had Fried Pork Chops. I love dining with friends who allow you to dig into their side dishes! Mac n cheese, candied yams, collard greens, corn, cornbread and black eyed peas. My only regret was the jukebox wasnít working, cuz theres nothing like a little Marvin Gaye to go with a plate of gizzards. oh another regret.. too full to have a slice of sweet potato pie.

on Chip and Andyís recommendation, we had breakfast
Grampa's Restaurant & Bakery
17 SW 1st Street, Dania
(954) 923-2163
A free basket of warm pastries to start the day! I had eggs, bacon, hashbrowns n toast. Todd had the grits, eggs and canadian bacon. And I snagged a slice of key lime pie to take back to the hotel. (oops no pics! )

Tom Jenkins Bar-B-Q
1236 S. Federal Highway
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316-2067
954-522-5046
Oh. My. God. Soul music playing , meaty ribs, macaroni and cheese, potato salad and a corn muffin. Heavenly. The catfish was amazing, bbq beans and hushpuppies. Order at the front counter and share a picnic table.

Ernesto's Taco Shop
700 SE 17th St.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
954-467-9788
Not as good as a taco shop in So Cal, but darned good! Selector Lopaka, Puamana , Mr Bytes and I went there for a quick bite. Cheap and fast ~

The Rascal House
17190 Collins Ave. (Sunny Isles)
North Miami Beach, FL 33160-3641
305-947-4581
Oy Vey! Deli sammiches at their best.. kosher dills! I had kreplach soup and a bagel with chopped liver and a knish. Todd had the ruben. Ever wanted to cry with delight? Yeah, thatís how I was feeling about lunch.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IsleConch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-10 9:17 pm   Permalink

bump

View Profile of IsleConch Send a personal message to IsleConch  Email IsleConch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2006-10-10 9:42 pm   Permalink

The Rueben at the Rascal House is the best! I had one on Thursday for lunch. Other good old food joints in South Florida that I visited this weekend:

The Rustic Inn - good garlic crab and conch chowder

Cap's Place - great atmosphere, especially the boat ride over with the full moon shining. I thought the food was better last time, but it's definitely still worth a trip.

Puerto Sagua
700 Collins Ave
Miami Beach
Good cuban food since 1968 - I had cafe cortado, black beans, a media noche (midnight sandwich), and fried plantains.

Me and Unga had drinks at Fox's Sherron Inn (still my favorite bar in Miami), and looked for the Captain's Table but discovered it's no longer there so we had Shorty's Barbeque (pretty good) instead. Then we caught a real good jazz band at Tobacco Road, Miami's oldest bar. We drove out to Jimbo's at Virgina Key and found it a mess with a sketchy crowd hanging out so we left.

I heard online that the Old Cutler Inn closed, so I didn't make it there.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-26 8:08 pm   Permalink

sadly, Rascal House closed. it was the last deli standing in Miami

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 9:02 pm   Permalink

BUMP
Quote:

On 2006-03-20 17:20, mrsmiley wrote:
ok, this March 19, 2006 listing from SouthFlorida.com ( http://www.southflorida.com/dining/sfe-thebest-landmarkrestaurants,0,3200350.story?coll=sfe-main-promo ) lists some great sounding restaurants! Anyone have feedback on these? Are they still vintage inside or updated to modern blandness? Hows the food, etc?

The Ambry http://www.southflorida.com/dining/24899,0,5975622.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Anthony's Runway 84 http://www.southflorida.com/dining/17365,0,4795964.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Jumbo's Restaurant http://www.southflorida.com/dining/101419,0,6103247.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Okeechobee Steakhouse http://www.southflorida.com/dining/17921,0,5189178.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Pomperdale New York Deli http://www.southflorida.com/dining/55819,0,6172226.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Sea Watch http://www.southflorida.com/dining/24190,0,4009526.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Ta-Boo http://www.southflorida.com/dining/18056,0,4402746.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo
Testa's http://www.southflorida.com/dining/18056,0,4402746.venue?coll=sfe-main-promo

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2008-04-07 21:03 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 9:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-26 20:08, dogbytes wrote:
sadly, Rascal House closed. it was the last deli standing in Miami

An Eternal RAZZ to this news !!!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-08 04:37 am   Permalink

Here is Mr Smiley's link from above. (damn those long addresses)

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2008-04-10 2:49 pm   Permalink

No more Rascal House! How can I ever visit Florida again without crying? Oh yeah, there's still the Mai-Kai.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation