FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Hukilau Vintage etc. Bar Restaurants and Lauderdale / Miami ,etc area attractions.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Hukilau Vintage etc. Bar Restaurants and Lauderdale / Miami ,etc area attractions.
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 3:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-10 14:49, thejab wrote:
No more Rascal House! How can I ever visit Florida again without crying? Oh yeah, there's still the Mai-Kai.

Let's face it, it all ends, sometime. Enjoy it and document it while it's there. Last time I was at Wolfie's the sign was already gone. Anybody got a picture of it?

I have a feeling that the last big hurricane destroyed much of what was left of the great old roadside signs along the Florida coast, emasculating the vintage establishments further, and driving another nail into their coffin. Instead of rebuilding, they are retiring. (All but the Aku Tiki Inn that is!) A fitting irony: The last great symbols of the glory days of the American empire are brought down by the weather changes it is co-responsible for.

Here's one for Mr. Smiley:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-10 16:12 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-04 09:18 am   Permalink

Just a kick for the thread and a question.

If you were to go to one BBQ joint in the Ft. Lauderdale area - where would you go? Tom Jenkins? Sonny's? Woody's? Too many choices!

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-04 2:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-04 09:18, johnman wrote:
Tom Jenkins?

Without a doubt! Tom Jenkins!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-06-04 3:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-10 15:15, bigbrotiki wrote:

Let's face it, it all ends, sometime. Enjoy it and document it while it's there. Last time I was at Wolfie's the sign was already gone. Anybody got a picture of it?

You are right Sven. My way of dealing with it is to move on and go check out a place I haven't been before. I spent last weekend in Denver and Colorado Springs enjoying many old restaurants and bars, like Casa Bonita Mexican Restaurant in Denver. The place is the Mai-Kai of Mexican restaurants, built in 1973, and still going strong! The place is huge! There is a huge waterfall and tropical pool, cliff divers, cave rooms (which reminded me of the Caves restaurant in Fort Lauderdale which burned down some time ago), mine shafts, a Liberace-esque swanky room with pink walls and chandeliers, a spooky "dark ride", and more! I was amazed.

We also enjoyed:

The Cruise Room in the Oxford Hotel, an original 1930s art deco masterpiece bar.

The time-warp Lakeside Amusement Park, opened in 1908 and still going strong after 100 years! 1930s / 1940s streamline modern architecture and neon was everywhere, and all the neon still worked! And the rides are all maintained and working. This was one of the most realistic "time travel" experiences I have ever had (with the exception of the way people were dressed).

The 1930s nautical Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace Hotel in Denver.

Dinner at the Tavern at the Broadmoor Resort in Colorado Springs. Original 1938 rustic interior with a huge collection of pre-Prohibition booze bottles on display, plus there was the art-deco Mayan room (with intact "exotic" decor), and the Golden Bee, an English pub built in 1961 as a collection of panels and fixtures from an entire 19th-century pub that were shipped from England and reassembled on site.

The cog railway from Manitou Springs to Pike's Peak and the vintage arcade in Manitou Springs.

I took loads of pictures in Colorado, that I'll be putting on Flickr soon.

Anyway, I'm totally over the closing of Wolfie's! But I will see if I can scan some old pictures of the place the way it looked pre-hurricane.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-04 6:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-04 14:35, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-06-04 09:18, johnman wrote:
Tom Jenkins?

Without a doubt! Tom Jenkins!

Sweet! I'll be enjoying some fine BBQ while the Gumbo Limbo's are touring (I arrive too late to join - wah!). No substitute but good Q can fix mild depression anytime. Thanks C&A!

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation