FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » The Hukilau 2012 Official Thread & Announcement!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
The Hukilau 2012 Official Thread & Announcement!
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-29 11:35 am   Permalink

Lost In Paradise: Hukilau Leftovers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vcaYIk0Vtk

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-03 10:08 pm   Permalink

Here are some updates on Beachbum Berry's "Revenge Of The Zombie: The Tale of Tiki’s Deadliest Drink" (and his upcoming book) ...

The symposium is an updated version of one he presented only once before, at last year’s Miami Rum Renaissance Festival. Even if you attended that event, you’ll still want to check out The Hukilau presentation. He plans several new features, including a vintage film clip with sound, in addition to a slide show and mixology demonstrations. There will also, of course, be samples of several vintage Zombies.

(A vintage 1940s Zombie matchbook image from Monte Proser's Beachcomber restaurant in Baltimore. From the collection of Jonpaul Balak.)

"Beachbum Berry’s Potions of the Caribbean: 500 years of Tropical Drinks … and the People Behind Them" will be published by the end of the year, through Mud Puddle Books, in a fully illustrated deluxe edition.

According to the Bum, it "features 77 historical recipes, including 16 that have never before been published in any form, and another 19 that have never been published in book form (only in old newspapers and magazines, or in souvenir pamphlets given away by bars). The remaining recipes come from books that for the most part have long been out of print."

See the full story here:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/03/27/beachbum-berry-digs-deep-to-unearth-vintage-zombies-more-potions-of-the-caribbean/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-04 08:43 am   Permalink

Ah um sooo looking forward to this!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-08 10:38 pm   Permalink

A few more updates:

The Intoxicators have been added to the Thursday night festivites at the Best Western Oceanside.

A new symposium has been added on Saturday, April 21, at 12:30 p.m. at the Best Western Oceanside. Paul Monahan of Sailor Jerry rum will host a special free symposium on the history of spiced rum, its links to Tiki culture and its place in the competitive world of spirits. In addition, Richard Boccato and his team from New York City Tiki bar PKNY will demonstrate classic spiced rum cocktails using Sailor Jerry.

As usual, check the schedule online for all the latest info:
http://www.thehukilau.com/2012/schedule-of-event/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-10 07:34 am   Permalink

Aloha Hukilau-ers !

As some of you are aware, I am THE Hukilau Photographer and my team at go11 and I are excited to be covering the event again! We will have a few fabulous surprises for you all this year so keep an eye out for us and watch the schedule for the time of the group shot.... and don't be shy ! Get in front of our cameras !!! We will be wearing "Special" badges so you can find us.... or Hide from us if you are a wanted felon, in the witness protection program, with someone other than your wife/husband/S.O., or having a bad hair day.

and... yes, I am aware that my "hang-loose" sorta looks like an "L" for Loser. I did not have time to flip the image. Thanks SO much to those of you who pointed that out. I will remember you all when photoshoping your images.

[ This Message was edited by: Bohemiann 2012-04-10 09:46 ]

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-11 10:36 pm   Permalink

Check out some of Bohemiann's handiwork in this cool audio slideshow we just posted (featuring the music of The Intoxicators and The Woggles) that takes a look back at the wild 2010 opening night party.

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/11/audio-slideshow-flashback-hukilaus-2010-opening-party-reached-a-new-level-of-overindulgence/

Shag was in the house for "2010: A Cocktail Odyssey – The Hukilau Room Crawl" plus the first "Master Mixologist Cocktail Challenge." What a night. Direct link to the slideshow here:
http://www.slammie.com/hukilau/2010slideshow/

And we also dug up a 2009 slideshow that recaps that entire year's events, including Los Straitjackets and much more ...

Direct link to the slideshow here: http://www.slammie.com/hukilau/slideshow/

What does 2012 have in store?

KungFuTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-13 2:49 pm   Permalink

Hello, so I've seemed to miss this event every year due to travelling, and I live in Lauderdale by the Sea! I have a friend coming in town next week and we're excited to finally make it to Hukilua this year. I'm a bike ride from the Mai Kai and Bahia Cabana

Planning on hitting the Mai Kai Wednesday for happy hour as I heard it's the pre-party, hopefully I can meet an insider or two to give me the low down on what not to miss.

View Profile of KungFuTiki Send a personal message to KungFuTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-13 4:34 pm   Permalink

Excellent! See you there!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-13 7:55 pm   Permalink

While in preperation for my Hukilau presentation, I decided I needed a new wardrobe...where better to go than EXOTICAL in Downey,CA !

The shop is now operated by the grandkids of the original owner....

...which is a rarity nowadays which deserves our support. A most colorful environment...

Not only does one find Aloha shirts and dresses in every style and size...

[

...but all kinds of island jetsam and flotsam.

Most of all, this is an authentic, vintage location!

I give EXOTICAL a thumbs up!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-14 11:13 am   Permalink

A few more updates ...

Common Machine Productions will present a sneak peek of their upcoming documentary, "Plastic Paradise: A Swingin' Trip Through America's Polynesian Obsession," during Hukilau 2012.

The sneak preview will be shown just before the first Dinner Show at The Mai-Kai and will begin promptly at 5 p.m. You must have dinner show reservations to see the film. Everyone must be seated. If you haven't made reservations, call now: (954) 563-3272.

The documentary, which will hit the film festival circuit later this year before being shown on PBS in 2013, tells the story of Tiki culture's original rise and fall, and its subsequent rediscovery by a new generation of Polynesian Popsters. Filmed in Los Angeles and Fort Lauderdale — much of it on location at the world-famous Mai-Kai during Hukilau 2011 — "Plastic Paradise" features interviews with Sven Kirsten, Beachbum Berry, Tiki Kiliki, Otto von Stroheim, Swanky, King Kukulele, Shag, Tiki Bob, Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid, and many more.

Artist and designer extraordinaire Kevin Kidney is the film's art director. Filmmakers Brett O'Bourke and Gaspar González of Common Machine will host the screening, discuss the film, and take questions from the audience afterward.

Tiki Kiliki invites you to see her get tattooed at this year's Hukilau. Paul Roe, Tattoo historian and owner of British Ink Tattoos in Washington, D.C., will present another informative symposium - "Ta-ta-u: The Mark of Civilization" - and plans to give her a traditional "tatau" as part of the presentation on the importance of the male and female tattoos in Samoa. It's set for Saturday, April 21, at 11:30 a.m. at the Best Western Oceanside Inn.

Get your tickets to this and all of the symposiums before they sell out:
http://www.thehukilau.com/2012/tickets/

Immediately following at 12:30, you won't want to miss a FREE cocktail symposium. Paul Monahan of Sailor Jerry rum will talk about the history of spiced rum, its links to Tiki culture and its place in the competitive world of spirits. In addition, Richard Boccato and his team from New York City Tiki bar PKNY will demonstrate classic spiced rum cocktails using Sailor Jerry.

We hope to see you there!

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2012-04-14 11:22 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-15 11:27 am   Permalink

I had fun going back thru my 35 mm slide folders....man, I got tooo much stuff to share! This is gonna be one fun ride, folks! A bit of a "making of" of the Book of Tiki. I am going to "explain" urban archeology, and show unpublished eye candy from such lost Tiki temples as the Kahiki, the Chin Tiki, and The Tikis. And the apartments, so much good stuff, oy vey...I am afraid this show might run a little longer than an hour.

Young urban archeologist surveying ancient site

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-16 4:22 pm   Permalink

Just posted: A special audio slideshow that takes a look back at last year's rum-soaked flurry of mixology and creativity ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/16/audio-slideshow-flashback-hukilau-2011-cocktail-contest-was-a-barrel-of-fun/

... with the soundtrack provided by The Crazed Mugs!

If you're coming this year, let us know when you'll be arriving ...

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-17 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:
If you're coming this year, let us know when you'll be arriving ...

We'll see you guys Wednesday in the Molokai, and Saturday at Dinner. Well, you guys have dinner, we'll meet you (again) in the Molokai.

We might be different and hang out in the Gardens, it has been quite lovely in the evenings.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-18 12:28 pm   Permalink

For newbies, or anyone who needs a refresher, we just posted part one of our survival guide. Lots more to come.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/04/18/got-tiki-trepidation-heres-a-hukilau-survival-guide/

(Tip 1: Don't dive from this height)

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-18 1:46 pm   Permalink

Weather can't get any better!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation