FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food So....is this spearmint?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
So....is this spearmint?
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-15 08:26 am   Permalink

Last summer, I had planted in a old mixing bowl filled with potting soil some spearmint seeds to grow and use in drinks. Anyway, shortly after I had planted them, I found my schipperkee DC (small black dog) licking the top of the soil. Figured that I'd start spotting spearmint growing in the yard anywhere he laid his little spearmint seed laden schipperke bombs. Today while walking around the yard looking at my papaya plants, I spotted patches of this:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l63/dar_125/IMG_20111215_110429.jpg

growing all over the yard. I'm guessing these are my spearmint? If so, I'm thinking of transplanting some of it in a pot (could just cut what I need off the yard, but the aformentioned schipperke may....eh..."fertilize" it and I don't want "fertilizer" in my drinks).

thanks,
howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-15 08:36 am   Permalink

So....is this tiki?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-15 08:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-15 08:36, 4WDtiki wrote:
So....is this tiki?

I dunno.....the drinks are tiki, Mai Tai. Served in Tiki mugs while listening to Exotica music. Posted in the wrong section??? Maybe should have put it in Food and Drink? Looked for, but didn't find a "tiki gardening" section.....maybe we need one.....after all the Mai Kai has a garden area......

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-12-15 09:07 am   Permalink

Moved to Tiki Drinks and Food.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-15 09:09 am   Permalink

Thanks for the help.....place reminds me of junior high school. New kid asks for a little help and gets nothing but grief from the cool kids.....

Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-15 09:17 am   Permalink

HAHA!! Great comment about Jr. high... And true in many ways. (I too am a newbie)

I couldn't discern Spearmint from the "fertilizer" in your yard, but try picking some and rubbing it to see what it smells like. I think it's cool that you are trying to grow some garnish.

Cheers!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-15 09:28 am   Permalink

I'll try that.

Actually, I'm not that "new". Joined here in 2008. Lurked for many years before. But only have sixty someodd posts. Still mostly lurk.

Probably will just go back to lurking. Just seems a lot of the fun gets sucked out of this place. And what is tiki without fun?

howlinowl

Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-15 10:40 am   Permalink

Sorry, but that's definitely not spearmint, it's a weed (maybe a Blackseed or Common Plantain, or similar in the Plantago genus). Lucky me, I have both spearmint and that weed in my yard. Spearmint leaves have serrated edges, and Q-tiki's suggestion about rubbing the leaves between your fingers is the easiest test.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2011-12-15 11:04 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-15 11:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-15 09:09, howlinowl wrote:
Thanks for the help.....place reminds me of junior high school. New kid asks for a little help and gets nothing but grief from the cool kids.....

Quote:

On 2011-12-15 09:17, Q-tiki wrote:
HAHA!! Great comment about Jr. high... And true in many ways. (I too am a newbie)

Gimme yer mai tai money, n00bs, or I'll give you a wedgie!!!

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-15 12:08 pm   Permalink

Uh-oh... RUN!!!!

Hmm... Nobody wants weed in their drink.

Wait for it...

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kid_dynamo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-15 4:29 pm   Permalink

Actually some old cocktail recipes call for "liquid marijuana". I know nothing further.

View Profile of kid_dynamo Send a personal message to kid_dynamo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-15 6:28 pm   Permalink

As said above, the leaves are kind of serrated, and the stem is four sided.

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-15 8:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-15 09:28, howlinowl wrote:
Probably will just go back to lurking. Just seems a lot of the fun gets sucked out of this place. And what is tiki without fun?

Lighten up, Francis, it was meant as a joke. As in, ADDing some fun, not sucking it out with overly sensitive feelings. If you WERE a newb, I wouldn't have posted that.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capheind
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-15 9:57 pm   Permalink

Incidentally square stems are a hallmark of mints, and their closest relatives, but the easiest way is to smell it, or to taste it.. There are only a few plants that can kill by contact... your like 75% safe...

View Profile of capheind Send a personal message to capheind      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-15 10:27 pm   Permalink

Looking through the posts above I see mentions of "dog fertilizer", "weed", "smell" and "taste"

HERE is the thing that ties them all together

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation