[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ General Tiki ╗ ╗ Benson Company Catalog - 1970
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Benson Company Catalog - 1970
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-20 12:45 pm   Permalink

"I had been to her home several times, but really had no memory of it, or her dad."

ůso you are suggesting that perhaps a Freudian repressed subconscious memory has driven you all these years, rather than der Wille zur Tiki Macht?

Fascinating.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-20 1:21 pm   Permalink

Yeah well, they say that the human brain never forgets anything, just files it far away. So if I caught a glimpse of something at her home, it is in there somewhere. Mind you, the book came out a year before I was born, but I knew the daughter in the mid-60s, ten years later. And none of Dr. Hauswedell's other publications and art auctions I could dig up so far had anything to do with Oceanic Art, so there might not have been much around of it in my time...still, the mind boggles. Just the fact that, with so many cities, and so many publishers in Germany, I have a direct connection to this one. It's haunting.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-20 2:48 pm   Permalink

Another great discovery,Sven!
Mahalo for sharing with us!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-20 3:59 pm   Permalink

Well what are the odds? Great discovery BigBro, and how fitting to have JP along for the quest. I'm going with KailuaGeoff's Freudian repressed memory theory - "You shall go forth and look for these South Seas artifacts" was the chant in your sleep.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-20 5:41 pm   Permalink

Wonderful story, Sven

It reminded me an interview segment I just read of cartographer Dennis Wood, in the latest issue (Jan 12) of the Believer ..... here is the excerpt

"There's a theorist named Leonard Bowden who had the idea that neighborhoods are created by eleven-year-old preadolescent males. In their running through the neighborhood and connecting families together, crossing fences, going into homes that their parents wouldn't go into, and knowing people that their parents would not even acknowledge, they create the neighborhood." ........

The full interview can be found here - no tikis, but lots of cool ideas on maps and geography
http://www.deniswood.net/content/TheBeliever.pdf

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-21 11:43 am   Permalink

Thank you Vern, that very accurately describes what we were doing in the Fontenay neighborhood, jumping fences, cruising through neighbors' backyards. And Corinna was part of that gang - not a "gang" like in today's cities, more like the gang in "Little Rascals". It is a shame that today's generation of teenagers is doing this "backyard roaming" more and more on the computer, not actively being out there in the world.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-21 5:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-21 11:43, bigbrotiki wrote:
Thank you Vern, that very accurately describes what we were doing in the Fontenay neighborhood, jumping fences, cruising through neighbors' backyards. And Corinna was part of that gang - not a "gang" like in today's cities, more like the gang in "Little Rascals". It is a shame that today's generation of teenagers is doing this "backyard roaming" more and more on the computer, not actively being out there in the world.

You are right Sven, they don't know what they are missing..

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-23 4:28 pm   Permalink

Sorry to stray too far off from the subject, but thought I'd share this. Although I too roamed my neighborhood and the neighbor's back yards when I was a kid and that's what gave me such a strong sense of community and place, we live in such a different world now. Ironically, here's an email I received just last night from my home owners' association:

Quote:
Last night, (Saturday evening, Jan. 20 and into this morning -- Sunday) on several occasions our security company had 5 male and 3 female teenagers, who were running around at about 9:30 p.m. and at 12:03 a.m., who were dragging an old holiday tree through residents' front lawns. When security arrived, the teens were gone. They were running around the rear of residents' properties on the common areas at around 2:20 a.m. And again when they saw security they all dispersed. They were hanging out at the tennis courts. The teens were dispersed by security and sent on their way and stated that they lived in the neighborhood. They were not committing any crimes, but, parents need to be aware that this is a dangerous situation and should speak with their teens about running through residents backyards in the middle of the night. If a homeowner is armed and these kids are running in the back of their property at 2:30 a.m., and a homeowner got scared, the results could be very bad. I myself was awoken at 2:00 a.m. by a girl screaming and running through our back yard.

I'm asking the parents of teens in the neighborhood to talk to your children about not engaging in this kind of activity.

I had no idea dragging a "holiday" tree through the neighbor's yards was the new thing.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation