FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Nostalgic Food & Beverages
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Nostalgic Food & Beverages
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-22 9:55 pm   Permalink

Then there was the original "Okie Dogs" on Santa Monica blvd.
This was the place to go in L.A. after a punk gig, the food was awful, But it was the place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suamQqtd3f8

[ This Message was edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2012-01-22 21:57 ]

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-22 11:18 pm   Permalink

An Okie Dog would be pretty easy to reproduce...

Two hot dogs on a flour tortilla, covered with chili and pastrami and wrapped up like a burrito.

Although I never tried.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-22 11:46 pm   Permalink

I remember after Little League, we would eat at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor. I was only familiar with the one in Rosemead, I never realized at the time it was a chain.

Interestingly enough that Rosemead location is now home to one of the most popular Chinese restaurants in So Ca. Many people just refer to it as "The Chinese restaurant that used to be Farrell's". Ha Ha. It's a good way to identify people who spent their Wonder Years in the SGV.

Anyway Farrell's had this giant ice cream concoction that had to be carried out by two people called The Zoo. Or was it the Pig's Trough, I forget.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-22 11:58 pm   Permalink

Don't forget the Earthquake also, John
before Chuckie Cheese this was where to have a "Kid Party"

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-23 12:08 am   Permalink

There are two places that I have my very first memories of
when we first moved to L.A. in 1963

Juanita's in Olvera Street, My father ate here for years & to this day I still go and eat there
when I am close by, The "BEST" Taquitos period!

The second place was Santoro's in Burbank
I have memories of the best Italian Sub ever, I thought it had closed years ago, but just found out
the place is still in business, I will have to try it again next time we hit the Tonga Hut.

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-23 12:08 am   Permalink

Yeah I also remember Farrell's had self-service soda. All of the kids would mix the different flavors which we would dub "Kamikazes", much like we were budding hipster mixologists.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-23 05:54 am   Permalink

Yes, the Ferrell's Pig Trough. I made a pig of myself more than once! The male servers wore colorful garters on their arms and the females wore them on their legs, you could buy garters to take home or hang from your rearview mirror. My buddies somehow bamboozled me into buying the garter that our waitress WAS WEARING. I had to take if off wedding reception style right there in the restaurant. I was a shy guy and quite embarrassed

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-23 07:04 am   Permalink

I remember the Farrell’s Zoo well, two people would carry it and run around the restaurant with lights and sirens going off with that big drum pounded for maximum affect. I think the tag line was if you could eat it by yourself you’d get a free second one, I never heard of anyone who did this. They also had these animals placed on top of the ice cream, I use them as cocktail garnishes now.

One thing I wasn’t a fan of was the turn of the century overpriced candy they sold like 3 feet of black licorice, baseball sized jaw breakers, giant suckers, and lots of sassafras/root beer flavored sweets.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-23 08:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-22 16:37, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Lucas, Please excuse the brain fart, I knew it was Del Taco, but I typed Taco Bell
I avoid both these days as I like real meat in my Mexican fast food.

I remember facing off with some "High School football" ass wipes in the drive-thu a few times at Naugles.

[ This Message was edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2012-01-23 01:08 ]

The great fights I saw were mostly our football players (foothill high) facing off against either Tustin high or El Modena high footballers. It would be funny to see 50 or more cars with the fight "fans" socializing, drinking beer and smoking cloves as we exchanged gossip and took or made bets as to the outcome. good times.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Helm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-01-23 09:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-22 23:46, JOHN-O wrote:
I remember after Little League, we would eat at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor. I was only familiar with the one in Rosemead, I never realized at the time it was a chain.

One of my youngest memories was eating at the Farrell's in the Galleria Mall in Houston right by the Ice Skating Rink... I just looked it up and see that you guys still have a few of these (albeit recent incarnations) in CA.

View Profile of Matt Helm Send a personal message to Matt Helm      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-01-23 09:37 am   Permalink

You're right there are some recent incarnations, I was just at one yesterday! We went there to celebrate after my daughter's piano recital. The one we went to was fairly new, located in Brea. The placed was packed. It's been many years since I have been to one, but it was basically the same. There were at least four Zoo's delivered while we were there. As John-O was asking, yes, it's the Zoo that is carried out by two people amidst much loud fanfare with drums and sirens. Don't go here if you have a hangover! Another standard is still in place, people that eat pig troughs are required to stand up and recite an "I'm a Piggy" speech before receiving a button that says "I made a pig of myself at Farrells". Oh, and the waitresses are still wearing garters too:

A few months ago I was under the impression that there was only one Farrells left, in San Diego. Now I've learned that the original owner of the chain, Bob Farrell is involved again and the chain is making a comeback.
http://www.farrellsusa.com/

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-01-23 09:41 am   Permalink

Now then, something no longer available that I used to pester My mom to buy:

I never did care much for Quake.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-23 10:03 am   Permalink

I miss Marathon bars

They didn't really last as long as they were advertised but they were good.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-23 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-23 09:41, Hakalugi wrote:
Now then, something no longer available that I used to pester My mom to buy:

I never did care much for Quake.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-23 12:31 pm   Permalink

What happened to "Mars Bars" I read that they are back,but have not seen one in years...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation