FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » JOHN-O's Tiki Bus Trip to the Hong Kong Inn (+ Rincon Room) - 3/24/12, Pictures start on pg 6
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
JOHN-O's Tiki Bus Trip to the Hong Kong Inn (+ Rincon Room) - 3/24/12, Pictures start on pg 6
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-02 9:19 pm   Permalink

When was the last time you took a field trip in a bus?  Grammar school?  Well let's relive those childhood memories but this time you won't need a note from your parents.

The Mai Kai in Fort Lauderdale touts its Polynesian revue dinner show as the last of its kind still in operation.  Well that's not exactly the case as we have one in our own California backyard...

The Hong Kong Inn in Ventura !! 

They have the authentic mid-century pedigree (since 1964) and serve  traditional (faux Chinese)
Tiki food.  We're talking Moo Goo Gai Pan, Chop Suey, and Egg Foo Yong !!  They also rock the Tropical cocktails.. and in Tiki bowls no less.  Yes, many have warned me that the quality is not Mai Kai standards but think of it as the price of admission to what's essentially a free Poly-Pop show.

Here's the Tiki itinerary...

1. The pre-dinner cocktail hour and bus pick-up point will be at the Tonga Hut in North Hollywood.  This will give everyone a chance to get properly "fortified".

2. From there we'll ride a chartered Tiki bus and make the 60 mile journey to the Hong Kong Inn.

3. Once arriving, we'll have dinner and enjoy the fantastic Polynesian floor show.

4. Afterward, the bus will make a stop at BongoFury's amazing Rincon Room for a post-dinner nightcap. Thanks BongoFury !!

5. The bus will then safely return us back to our Tonga Hut starting point where the festivities can continue.  Or you can join me down the street for some 24-hour Mexican taco stand drunk food.

I'm still working out the final details but I estimate the roundtrip bus fare to be $25 and dinner averaging about $15 (not including cocktails).

You can't get more diverse than this for a single night of Tiki fun.

Mark it on your calendar !! 

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2012-03-30 09:20 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-02 9:30 pm   Permalink

Hell, That's Tiki!!!!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-02-03 10:17 am   Permalink

I'm trying to be as delicate as possible on this but first let me say I LOVE THE HONG KONG INN and Tina's Ports of Paradise Polynesian Show is Excellent! I go about twice a year and always look forward to it. It will be a great field trip but please leave your Tiki Cocktail taste buds at the door, the drinks can be um… very.. oh you know.

I've gotten lucky with some drinks but they can be inconsistent and are worse than B a h o o k a overall. So maybe order a beer? However the drinks at the Rincon Room will more than make up for any mishaps at the HKI. Also be advised that the food at the HKI can also be on the level as the drinks but if I were going I would still order the drink I was happy with last time "The Chinese Itch" and some chicken fried rice and still enjoy myself 100%.

I'm only writing this because I do love this place and don't want to see a bunch of possibly business hurting negative reviews after the field trip.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-03 11:04 am   Permalink

WooHooo! Sounds like a Fun Fieldtrip....We Can't Wait For those of you who have never been to The Hong Kong Inn you are in for a treat

The Hong Kong Inn, Ventura

Old School Ceramic Clam Shell Bowls

Mai Tai's too!

Tina's Ports of Paradise Dancers were Spectacular!!!

The Vainuku Ohana know how to spread the Spirit of Aloha!!

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tonga hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-03 12:26 pm   Permalink

John, Tonga Hut will supply food for you weary travelers when you return!

View Profile of tonga hut Send a personal message to tonga hut  Email tonga hut Goto the website of tonga hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt. R.H. Falernum
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-03 4:06 pm   Permalink

Yes. Awesome. Fantastic. I'm in!

I'll see if Sotally Tober is free to come along too.

View Profile of Capt. R.H. Falernum Send a personal message to Capt. R.H. Falernum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-03 4:28 pm   Permalink

Sounds like a blast, John-O - count the Wickedlys in!

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HB TIKI
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-02-03 4:54 pm   Permalink

Please count my wife and I in on the crawl, sounds like another excellent John-o adventure. I am glad you got you license to drive the BUS. Thanks for the pictures of the Bar WooHoo. Was that Chris"s younger brother in the picture.

View Profile of HB TIKI Send a personal message to HB TIKI  Email HB TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HB TIKI

Posted: 2012-02-03 5:58 pm   Permalink

John-O, Will the bus be vintage?

View Profile of HB TIKI Send a personal message to HB TIKI  Email HB TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
whoseyrtiki

Posted: 2012-02-03 10:35 pm   Permalink

Saweeeeeeeet! I'd like to reserve a spot on this Mr. Toad's wild ride:D

View Profile of whoseyrtiki Send a personal message to whoseyrtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
whoseyrtiki

Posted: 2012-02-03 10:39 pm   Permalink

Saweeeeeeeet! I'd like to reserve a spot on this Mr. Toad's wild ride:D

View Profile of whoseyrtiki Send a personal message to whoseyrtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine

Posted: 2012-02-03 10:42 pm   Permalink

This doesn't even sound like a choice. It sounds like a "must do".

Kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-04 07:49 am   Permalink

The Pi-Yi at the Hong Kong Inn is served in a frozen pineapple and is quite delicious Hong Kong Inn is a cool place.

Great idea for this John-O !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_martin
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-06 09:59 am   Permalink

Sounds like a good'n, I'm in...

View Profile of tiki_martin Send a personal message to tiki_martin  Email tiki_martin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-06 4:23 pm   Permalink

John-O! Another great tour! I love both these places, and I especially love the Bongofury'! If I'm in town, I'll be there, but right now I may be off in the land of aloha that week... which isn't a bad alternative, but, you know... I miss you guys. Sigh.

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation