FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Converting 151 Demerara into 80 Demerara
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Converting 151 Demerara into 80 Demerara
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-09 12:55 pm   Permalink

I hope you are using the new label. Diluting a bottle of the old just doesn't seem right.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-10 9:41 pm   Permalink

Aloha and an update,

I have confirmed the findings from my experiment in the above post with diluting the LH151, and confirmed it in spades. I diluted half the new bottle of LH151 that I bought this week, adding the water slowly, 2 ounces at a time, over the course of 2 days, stirring as I blended as Ed Hamilton suggested. I let the finished product rest for a day, and it is, well, WOW!!! There's ZERO diluted taste, and the flavor simply blows ElDo5 away. Here are a couple of pictures of the 3 Dems in my bar; Eldo5, the diluted LH151 (in the decanter), and the full throttle LH151. Note the color differences in the 3 Dems, particularly how pale the ElDo5 is by comparison to the diluted LH:

I made a Navy Grog with the "diluted" LH tonight, and by the gods, it's the BEST Navy Grog that I've ever had. From here on out I only buy the LH151 and dilute it, at least until the LH80 hits the American market again. Aside from the wonderful flavor, the best part is the price; the 750ml equivalent price for the "diluted" LH is $13.25. With shipping I was paying nearly $19 for ElDo5.

Mahalo,

Craig

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-11 1:43 pm   Permalink

Awesome! Great thread and info CT Craig! I, for one, really appreciate this info. Good job!!

Cheers!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-13 11:04 am   Permalink

how did you make your navy grog CTC?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-13 3:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-13 11:04, thePorpoise wrote:
how did you make your navy grog CTC?

I use my favorite recipe, it's a combination of DTD & TV's recipes;

.75oz White Grapefruit Juice
.75 Lime Juice
1oz Honey Syrup
1oz White VI Rums
1oz Dark Jamaican (I prefer Coruba)
1oz Demerara
.25oz Allspice (Pimento) Dramm (I use St Elizabeth)

Mix in a top down blender w/ crushed ice for 5 seconds.

This is my favorite cocktail, Tiki or otherwise!

Mahalo,

Craig

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-13 4:54 pm   Permalink

pretty close to how i make mine, except i throw in an ounce of club soda, and my rums are often 3 oz mix of dark/demerara.

is your honey syrup 50/50 water/honey?

[ This Message was edited by: thePorpoise 2012-02-13 16:55 ]

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-13 5:16 pm   Permalink

Porpoise,

I typically use 2:1 Rich Honey syrup, which is widely believed is what the Mai Kai uses. It adds a luxurious texture to cocktails. i also use local organic honey that I get at one of the local farmers markets, which has a really great taste.I use club soda too occasionally, especially if I'm making NG's for a group of people-they get pretty expensive to pour for a group!

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-13 9:11 pm   Permalink

I also use 2:1 honey to water, but I only add 3/4 oz of the honey syrup to my grog. (drinking one now, using 3 oz of ED 15).

CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-13 9:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-13 21:11, thePorpoise wrote:
I also use 2:1 honey to water, but I only add 3/4 oz of the honey syrup to my grog. (drinking one now, using 3 oz of ED 15).

3oz of ElDo15?? Holy cow, I want one of those too!!

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2012-02-13 21:29 ]

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-24 08:51 am   Permalink

This is interesting. El Do 80 is a 6 hour round trip drive or mail order to get, but I bought over a case of the old stock LH 151. I usually sub Appleton or other dark rum for Demerara 80 to avoid going through my supply. I will have to turn 1 bottle of LH 151 into 2 bottles of LH 80 soon and have plenty for a while!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-24 3:02 pm   Permalink

So it's 22.5oz water for a full 750ml bottle?

Want to try this tonight! Thanks for the research!

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-24 8:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-24 15:02, happy buddha wrote:
So it's 22.5oz water for a full 750ml bottle?

Want to try this tonight! Thanks for the research!

Yep, that's what Ed Hamilton (AKA, The Minister of Rum and the importer of LH) worked out when he did the math. And that amount of water works too. Get a bottle of still spring water, it'll make for a better finished product than typical chlorinated tap water will make.

Cheers and happy drinking!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-16 2:39 pm   Permalink

Considering this is 151, I took all precautions to prevent evaporization first. I want to refill my 80 proof bottle. So I poured 14 oz of water in first and marked the label and emptied. Then I used the pour spout on the 151 bottle and poured 14 ounces in with my palm covering the opening and then immediately corked the bottle and let it rest. Now I add 11 oz of distilled water the same way to keep it sealed. Now I am shaking it with the cork on to prevent evaporization rather than stirring. This gives me one 750 bottle of 80 proof and I have the rest of the 151 to use.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-17 09:25 am   Permalink

In case anyone interested didn't see my earlier post, I used the same approach in creating Lemon Hart 114 proof:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=42945&forum=10&10

Used it a Navy Grog the other day with great results.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation