FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Official Tiki Oasis 2012 thread for TO12
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
Official Tiki Oasis 2012 thread for TO12
babydoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-12 11:12 pm   Permalink

World of Rum was limited to only 25 per class. but yes world record quick sell-out!

There are still tickets to Martin's CSI Cocktail Class!

The symposiums this year are going to be amazing! The most we have ever lined up.

XO Baby Doe

View Profile of babydoe Send a personal message to babydoe  Goto the website of babydoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-13 06:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-12 23:09, whoseyrtiki wrote:
Martin needs a larger venue. World O Rum already sold out and it's only been 3 hours

Note for next year...when tickets for Martin's symposiums go on sale at 8pm-buy them at 8pm.

Glad i got the tickets I wanted....now if i am sober enough to actually remember to GO to them that will be even better!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brenda's Tiki Hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-13 09:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-12 23:12, babydoe wrote:
The symposiums this year are going to be amazing! The most we have ever lined up.
XO Baby Doe

I so agree! Going to be an epic weekend

and Liz, that's always my problem (sobering up enough to remember to go to a symposium)

View Profile of Brenda's Tiki Hut Send a personal message to Brenda's Tiki Hut  Email Brenda's Tiki Hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-13 2:55 pm   Permalink

The only two symposiums that were not included with the Deluxe VIP ticket were the stamping and rum symposiums correct? My understanding is that all other symposiums including the CSI are included with the Deluxe VIP ticket. Just wanna make sure so I don't miss anything. Thanks.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BoozeyKitty

Posted: 2012-07-14 7:34 pm   Permalink

Any tips for first-timers? My husband and I have wanted to go for years but something always gets in the way. We're finally going this year and we want to get the most out of our experience. I'm pretty familiar with the basics. I'm mostly curious about how the room parties work, rules? Etiquette? What do people do if they can't squeeze into one of the parties? I doubt they just go to bed.

Also, is there any portion of the weekend that I'll be kicking myself if I miss. Must go to events?

View Profile of BoozeyKitty Send a personal message to BoozeyKitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-14 8:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-13 14:55, El Jefe wrote:
The only two symposiums that were not included with the Deluxe VIP ticket were the stamping and rum symposiums correct? My understanding is that all other symposiums including the CSI are included with the Deluxe VIP ticket. Just wanna make sure so I don't miss anything. Thanks.

Yes, everything else is included with your VIP armband. You will line up in the VIP line before each symposium and be seated first.

Quote:

On 2012-07-14 19:34, BoozeyKitty wrote:
Any tips for first-timers? My husband and I have wanted to go for years but something always gets in the way. We're finally going this year and we want to get the most out of our experience. I'm pretty familiar with the basics. I'm mostly curious about how the room parties work, rules? Etiquette? What do people do if they can't squeeze into one of the parties? I doubt they just go to bed.

Also, is there any portion of the weekend that I'll be kicking myself if I miss. Must go to events?

Here's my thoughts:

Dont get wasted at The Bali Hai on Thursday...it will RUIN your whole weekend
Drink plenty of water and EAT during the day
You won't see everything...you have to pick and choose what you want to do because Oasis has too much stuff going on

Room party etiquette---you wait in a line prior to the room opening, talk to the people around you and get to know as many of them as possible because that is what makes Oasis a blast. I suggest bringing a drink to drink while standing in line because once a party is in full swing sometimes its tough to get extra drinks...except Tiki Hell (God bless em!)...if the parties have places to tip please be sure to throw them a few bucks. If they dont do not worry about it.

There are multiple parties going on at the same time on multiple floors...keep an eye on the ones that have bands and try to see the bands you want in the room parties. When in doubt go to Tiki Hell--seriously I spend so much time in their room because its the most fun!--because you will be able to dance to their awesome array of non-tiki music HOORAY AC/DC!

As far as Must Go To Events--thats up to you. I never miss the Purple Orchid welcome room party, the book signing, the start of Friday and Saturday main stage events, Tiki Hell, bloody marys at the in hotel bar and sushi there is yummy also, I love watching the guys carve, meeting all the vendors and seeing old friends/making new ones.

Your 1st Oasis will prep you for your next Oasis...grab a cocktail and enjoy it!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-14 8:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-10 20:35, Unkle Monkee wrote:

http://youtu.be/gl0XB5FA-lM

Good drinkee (gin, lemon juice, raw egg, etc.) however it seemed to be missing something.

I added salt, absinthe, orange bitters, sugar, and worcestershire sauce which really seemed to
complete the cocktail.

"Oh, so"

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-17 06:07 am   Permalink

PART 4
Real Life Spies

All Who-Was-Bond speculation became pretty much a waste of a jolly good time after the 2008 publication of Jennet Conant’s The Irregulars: Roald Dahl and the British Spy Ring in Wartime Washington. Roald Dahl, it turns out, wasn’t just the writer of the best children’s novels ever penned, husband of Patricia Neal (The Day The Earth Stood Still, Rowr!) and a major wartime aviation hero. He was apparently the sneakiest bastard who ever lived, both Churchill’s and Stephenson’s top agent and the one man who actually seems to have penetrated Roosevelt’s security services well enough to have spent most weekends with FDR at his cottage estate in his shorts while photographing every document he could get his sticky little mitts on.

He also bedded an endless list of Washington socialites including Claire Booth Luce, dined nightly on gold tableware and steak while the blitz reduced Londoners to beans and Spam, lied about his flying exploits, and seemingly became the only man in the USA not screwed by Charles Marsh’s nymphomaniac wife, mostly because his dick was simply too overworked already!

The logistics of how he became a sex machine were even more strange, and his short later series of very adult stories about My Uncle Oswald may have held a clue. Packs of marijuana, it turns out, were distributed to most top field agents in WW2 as a miracle truth serum. Spymasters had found that smoking out your target with pot-laced tobacco (aka “Turkish Cigarettes”) caused them to joyously spill their guts on any subject you decided to discuss at a local bar. Stronger pot, in the form of hash oil carefully injected into regular cigarettes (“try mine, they’re Turkish”) or dashed into their favorite Martinis (“I’ll mix”) caused proper ladies to become impatiently horny whores in Dahl’s hands, then extremely tired, and waking the next morning with no hangover - in that order; perfect for Roald’s plan to pillow talk his way through wartime Washington. Pocket flasks of super strong hash oil transferred by diplomatic pouch by his own published admission were probably Dahl’s ultra-secret weapon, also leading one to think it helped him to write his first short stories - like the brilliant early-psychedelic Shot Down Over Libya, most of which is spent on a bed watching the colors of the room dance around him.

Almost all of the key English spies retired to Jamaica a decade later, the verrah English soil of which supported vast acres of pot plantations. Coincidence? Not in Ian Fleming’s case, whose son-in-law Chris Blackwell founded Island Records - the most marijuana drenched music ever recorded, which is saying something...

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-17 08:46 am   Permalink

A doobie is more "Spy" than a vodka martini ?? How disheartening.

But I guess it could add a whole new angle to this year's Tiki Oasis.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-18 12:32 am   Permalink

Ray aka Queen Kamehameha's Husband posted this:
----------------------------------------------------

Quote:

On 2012-07-17 17:40, Me Myself and Moai wrote:
My guest tomorrow night on The Ray Boylan Show on LATALKRADIO.COM
Is the "Godfather" of the California weekend tiki event Otto Von Stroheim.
In addition to his exceptional event hosting abilities, he is an author, entertainer and exceptional
spokesperson for the tiki culture. Please join us tomorrow night at 6pm (PDT) on LATALKRADIO.COM. For
an in depth and interesting discussion about all things tiki, including news and updates on this year's
Tiki Oasis - the premiere tiki event on the Calendar.

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LosGatos_HepCats
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-18 7:26 pm   Permalink

About the rum symposium tix selling out instantly - just a suggestion for next year.

- Could they be offered to VIP ticket holders first??

just a thought. It's probably for the best that I missed it this year, being a TO virgin!

- Mark

View Profile of LosGatos_HepCats Send a personal message to LosGatos_HepCats      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-07-18 7:28 pm   Permalink

Ya know, considering a large part of the Tiki Community is the balding, overweight male (obviously myself included) you'd think there would be a lot of Blofelds and Odd Jobs at this year's Tiki Oasis but I bet we won't see that many.

I hope I'm wrong.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-18 9:13 pm   Permalink

Direct link for the interview with Otto;

http://www.latalkradio.com/Players/Boylan-071812.shtml

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-18 10:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-18 19:28, Bora Boris wrote:
Ya know, considering a large part of the Tiki Community is the balding, overweight male (obviously myself included) you'd think there would be a lot of Blofelds and Odd Jobs at this year's Tiki Oasis but I bet we won't see that many.

Blow what? & what jobs?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-18 10:02 pm   Permalink

Sorry, All I read was "Blow-jobs"

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation