FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Official Tiki Oasis 2012 thread for TO12
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
Official Tiki Oasis 2012 thread for TO12
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-26 08:46 am   Permalink

Way to be crappy parents! All your kids are going to grow up to become alcoholic sex perverts and strippers!

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-26 08:58 am   Permalink

I was going to stay out of this conversation.

Actually, Nikki and I talked at Oasis about the Daylight Burlesque Event and I just don't get it. I'm not a prude by any means, but I think there is a time and place for that (like in my hotel room ), I think the midnight indoor stage and the room parties are an appropriate time and place. I have no problem with making Tiki Oasis "Adults Only", then let the debauchery flow! I guess an alternative would a prominent disclaimer before ticket sales stating "There WILL be public nudity at this event" and the parents can choose what they want to expose their children too.

Zsandora if you read this, please know this is not an attack on you. I didn't watch much, but from what I saw you are a beautiful woman with a talent for dancing. Tiki Oasis has created a culture where this is allowed and even encouraged, the discussion is if it should be.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-26 3:59 pm   Permalink

Now I feel really bad about missing the Zsandora dance!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GoodForTheGoose

Posted: 2012-08-26 8:11 pm   Permalink

Hey Buzzy,

How does it feel to have crappy parents, you pervert?

Haha!!!

View Profile of GoodForTheGoose Send a personal message to GoodForTheGoose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-26 9:29 pm   Permalink

Stop coddling your kids and the next time they run into someone with MOTHER F@CKING TOURETTE'S they won't be freaked out.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-26 9:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-26 08:33, NikkiNapalm wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-08-24 23:48, bigtikidude wrote:
uhhhhhh.....
Did everybody miss Zsandora dancing(down to pasties and g string at the end)
with the Swank Bastards, in broad daylight,
with 20 kids watching from in front of the stage?

I thought it was hilarious,
but I am demented that way.

Jeff(btd)

Yeah, not cool. She is absolutely gorgeously barbie-doll breathtaking, but yeah...maybe next year leave a little bit more clothing on if you see 20 munchkins in front of you? Oh well.

Leave your kids home!!

Szandora is awesome and if you want to bring your kids to a rum fueled weekender than what they see is what they see.

I just wish The Swank Bastards took off their clothes too because they looked hot...like literally.

[ This Message was edited by: sandradee 2012-08-27 02:07 ]

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 12:09 pm   Permalink

Well, our Tiki Oasis Spy Clip experiment was a bust. We didn't get one clip emailed to the command center, lol. Must've been the rum....or T.I.K.I.

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hazmania
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-27 1:00 pm   Permalink

Tiki Oasis jumped the shark this year, IMHO. Moving the burlesque dancers (on stage during band breakdown and setup) in order to accomodate children? Why am I subjected to babysitting these kids? Why are these kids running around unsupervised, anyway? This has been getting more annoying each year. I get the use of an annual theme - more variety in bookings, etc. Past year themes (surf, Hawaii, pirates) and entertainment (surf, Herb Alpert) at least had some time or vague commonality (water, island) to tiki culture. How does an 80's ska band relate to tiki? Or even to a 60's spy theme for that matter, other than they (and thousands of other bands) have a couple of songs that reference the topic?

[ This Message was edited by: hazmania 2012-08-27 13:02 ]

View Profile of hazmania Send a personal message to hazmania  Email hazmania     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 2:53 pm   Permalink

Hey can one of you old timer's who've been to every T.O. list the themes they've had in the past? Just curious. I've been to 11 and 12 - and really enjoyed both. I love the themes - whether they're directly related to Tiki or not, since I love costume/theme parties. Wasn't a big fan of them in the past, but in recent years I've found that costume or theme parties are the only parties I really, really enjoy. Regular parties (and maybe this is because I've grown older with the same friends) but seem like a bunch of people sitting around stuffing their faces on bad food. Costumes/themes give parties new life.

Having a Love Boat party this winter, for example. (Did you know that Ray Milland, Menudo, and Andy Warhol were ALL on Love Boat - as well as the entire cast of 3's Company?) The guest star potential is unreal!

Then we're thinking of really going off the deep end with theme ideas: "1972 Realtors Convention: Iowa City, IA" and a really deep down one: "7-11 Breakroom, circa 1993."

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surf fink
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-27 3:18 pm   Permalink

I agree with hazmania,but I think Tiki O jumped the shark 1-2 years ago.

View Profile of surf fink Send a personal message to surf fink      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-27 3:27 pm   Permalink

As I recall, the Tiki Oasis themes were:

TO 12: Spy

TO 11: South of the Border

TO 10: "Extravaganza" (basically, the theme was the 10th anniversary)

TO 9: Surfs Up

TO 8: Zombie

TO 7: Hawaii a go go

TO 6: The magic of tiki

TO 5: Pirates

TO 4: If I remember there were two themes. Saturday night was "tikis in space" and Friday was "Savage".

TO 3: Marooned at Tiki Oasis

Tiki Oasis 1 and 2 didn't really have themes. The themes were basically just "Tiki".

And, IMHO, Tiki Oasis jumped the shark when it moved to San Diego. I still love tiki Oasis and have a great time there, but it hasn't been "tiki" for a long time.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 3:38 pm   Permalink

What themes would you guys like?

I still would like to see a Retro 1950s Sci Fi, Noir or Hard boiled theme
how about old musicals? like South Pacific....

But what I see coming is a Disneyland theme (Shudder)

Since we have Hulabilly coming up, Punk or New Wave in the near future?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 4:00 pm   Permalink

I vote for:

1. "Eden's Island" aka Hippie Oasis !!

2. Prohibition Oasis aka Dry Oasis. I'm not joking. As one of the original Tiki Revival pioneers (not Sven) recently said to me "Tiki isn't just about drinking".

3. Vigorpalooza, in which Lucas Vigor gets to decide everything.

Edit - Also ATP we can't have a Disney theme, Otto would have to pay licensing to the Disney corporation making that cost prohibitive.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2012-08-27 16:04 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 4:14 pm   Permalink

If I didn't know John-O, I'd be disgusted by his post (mostly the hippy one).
Funny stuff, John-O. I'd like to see what Lucas would do for an Oasis. It would probably be a really good and traditional one.

----------------

But every year it's the same.... so much complaining about Oasis.
Pretty funny/ sad.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-27 4:33 pm   Permalink

Good point on the licensing, John
it would probably just turn into a Plushie Convention anyway

Spike you should be resting after your 3 day gig marathon, what do you want to turn into.....Me!
By the way, The Hulagirls sounded great yesterday, maybe you don't need any sleep.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation