FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carvings by Atomic Mess
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Carvings by Atomic Mess
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-15 1:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks Jack,

looking forward to seeing your work Anthony!

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-18 10:39 am   Permalink

here's a house post type thing I completed recently-

I did some sketches on paper and then on to the wood.

It's a thinnish piece so I didn't think in 3d too much before I started to carve...

I'm tired and it's time for a martini, more pics tomorrow,
cheers

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-18 10:48 am   Permalink

Loose the utility knife and get one of these - you can thank me later.

https://warrencutlery.com/store/product-list.php?pg1-cid49.html

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-18 2:53 pm   Permalink

Dude! If you can do that with a utility knife......imagine a carving knife in your hands! Tom speaks truth! It will explode your capabilities!

Back to work !

Mahalo!

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-05-18 8:02 pm   Permalink

I wholeheartedly endorse and support what Mctiki and alohastation said. I also REALLY dig this latest piece. Hope the martini was yummy and when you're sobered up, I'm looking forward to more progress on this piece!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-19 11:08 am   Permalink

Hi Guys,

I'll be buying that knife in the near future, thanks for the heads up. I spent some cash on a load of used gouges after christmas and they have definitely paid off! (after some sharpening)

progress on the post

Not sure what this wood is, I thought is was mahogany but it's really soft, I can push the gouge through it without a mallet, which on the one hand was cool but I worried about cracking these hooks...

anyone know what this might be? - looks like mahogany but is really soft to carve...

anyway got to go, I'm counting on a german team to beat an english team so my team will benefit next season

mahalo

Polynesiac

Posted: 2012-05-19 1:43 pm   Permalink

That's a fine looking set of gouges! Good investment!!! It's completely official now, you've got the carving bug, and the tools and quality carvings to show for it! This new carving is really turning out nice!!! Very detailed and you're nailing it!!!

maybe you're carving some species of acacia that you have that grows local to where you are?

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-19 4:45 pm   Permalink

I think I just got something in my eye......that's called nailing it! I have great respect for chisel/knife work.

Mahalo! Keep em coming!

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-20 12:08 pm   Permalink

Hi Guys, thanks for the props!

Poly- I'm in the smoke so not much found wood going on around here. This piece came from a mixed lot of blocks I bought on Ebay including mahogany, sapele and afromosia but they weren't labelled so I have no idea what this is. I'm guessing maybe afromosia as I've carved the other two and they were harder but can't say for sure.

McTiki- appreciate the input considering you've got more important stuff on your mind, I hope everything works out for you and yours.

here's some more pics...

after making a lot of progress on the front I decided it might be cool to do a roughly mirror image on the other side...

It occurred to me at this point that if I'd thought about this properly I could have had both sides merging at the edge like Alohastation's recent 4 way mug or Shag's 4 faced tiki mug...

but I didn't think ahead so...on with the eyes

cheers,

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-20 3:34 pm   Permalink

Dude!

You're killi n me. This is insane!

Mahalo!

McTiki

Polynesiac

Posted: 2012-05-20 7:00 pm   Permalink

REALLY nice Atomic!

Ahhh...the ol' grab bag of wood! I have a box full of scraps from a master carpenter and I have NO IDEA what type of wood most of my pendants are carved from!! That's part of the fun, tho!

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2012-05-20 19:01 ]

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-21 08:47 am   Permalink

Nice progress pictures and nice design. I really like your style of carving. More pictures please.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 1:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks as always guys!

as requested Hiltiki, here's some more-

finishing up the eyes...

different on either side...

I thought I might experiment by painting one side...

so I brought the picture into photoshop and put some colour on it digitally...

gives me a chance to try stuff without messing up the wood.

Finishing off the headpiece...

I broke the lower left horn, you can see the crack where I glued it...

thanks for looking,

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 2:17 pm   Permalink

I am really diggin' this little piece.

Very cool and original!

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 3:46 pm   Permalink

AM.....breaking $hit is part of the learning process. Your learning good stuff on a decent piece. Its all good! Keep on it. The next one should be design more sturdy or you will need to take more time on the pucker cuts.

You are doing fine

Mahalo

McTiki

P.S. ...... I watched a paddle handle fly by my face at 70 mph today! It happens to all of us.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation