FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-04 5:51 pm   Permalink

Wendy, they are intentionally glazed 2 colors - but they are streaky. I also discovered another challenge with my design; normally the tiles are smooth in mosaic so that when you grout the cracks the excess wipes off easily. But I made the volcano tiles textured and only partially glazed - it's going to be a pain in the butt to ungrout them

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-04 8:26 pm   Permalink

So much GREAT work so far!
I apologize for not giving y'alls a step-by-step
BUT i just Winged it one night and came up with this!

"Bath in the Land of the Volcanoes"
ink,water=soluble pencil and tissue paper stain on Aquarelle watercolor paper

Enjoy!
Can't wait to see what the rest of you come up with!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-04 9:18 pm   Permalink

AWESOME!!! Thanks Ken!

I think I count 3 finished, at least 9 in progress, and hopefully many more to come

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2012-06-04 21:21 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-05 07:07 am   Permalink

I couldn't sleep at 3am so I started cutting and glueing glass tiles. Everything is glued down now except the reddish brown leaves on the left that are now back in the kiln. Next will be the lava and the grout.

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2012-06-05 20:51 ]

danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-05 07:23 am   Permalink

MadDogMike and little lost tiki. Two great works of art for the swap. Wow this is sure fun. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-05 6:47 pm   Permalink

Looking so good everybody! I gotta go to the shed and look for some Velveteen.

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-05 8:13 pm   Permalink

Lil lost- way cool
MDM- lookin great

I'll be glossing mine tomorrow...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-06 05:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-05 18:47, mp wrote:
...I gotta go to the shed and look for some Velveta.

Ya gonna make some nachos???

Good to see you here MP, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Better!

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 06:16 am   Permalink

Gee MDM, and here I thought you were just going to build a fire under it so the glow of it would shine up through the lava parts.... of course shipping a blazing piece of art might be a problem, but if anyone could find the solution it would be you.

Looking really awesome Mike! I am confused though... I thought you did a Pele skull thing for the swap... or am I mixed up?

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-06 07:42 am   Permalink

MDM - fast pace brother, lookin kool

Tiger- see page 7,
Recap-
OK, this isn’t really a Swap project ~ just a little something for inspiration and entertainment. In full disclosure, this isn’t my sculpt; this skull was a quickie formed over a Halloween foam skull and then modified. MDM

It was just a MDM inspiration story to get us all thinking/started
(however I did read somewhere on google that it was a true story, MDM just doesn't want everyone to know he has the 2 real Pele skulls)

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-06 10:47 pm   Permalink

Like this Tiger?

The gaps between the tiles will be grouted black which will make the lit stained glass more dramatic. I had to give up on actual fire, apparently it's a federal crime to send burning materials in the mail - go figure! I'll need to find the right lighting effect. Unfortunately the shadow from the support bar under the table if going to mess with the effect but that couldn't be helped. If I use multiple light sources under the table it will help negate that problem, maybe a circular florescent with some sort of diffuser?

Tiger (any anyone else), you are always welcome to make more than one project and give your Swap partner a choice. I'll probably offer Pele's skull (complete with the certificate of authenticity ) as a Swap option. I may even have a smaller skull by then so they could choose the pair of skulls or the table.

Thanks for the kind words and the assist Jon.

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-07 01:33 am   Permalink

Lookin GREAT,Mike!
and the Black grout is gonna make it PA-POW!
Have you thought about making a little ceramic votive candle holder
that you can place ATOP the table and light ?
that might be a good option instead of wracking your brain
tryin to figure out how to light it from under the table....
Just a thought...

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-07 09:07 am   Permalink

MDM- lookin kool brother...

I'm done with mine...

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-07 09:11 am   Permalink

Looks great H10T! Nice vivid colors and beautiful wood grain. What is that wood?

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-07 09:19 am   Permalink

MDM- You quessed it a few pages back, mesquite...
lots of them in Vegas, and lots of landscapers too...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation