FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 02:31 am   Permalink

Looks very cool! Reminds me of those string/sand art kits from the 70's you would invariably see hanging on every family wall. Really dug the story behind the piece too...I wanna see those "special" photos your dad took of native women. Sand art (and or bead art) looks easy, but I know from experience it AIN'T. You did a great job!

[ This Message was edited by: tigertail777 2012-08-07 02:32 ]

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-07 05:51 am   Permalink

Truly great art comes from the heart, not the hands ~ and this is from your heart I had forgotten that Diamond Head was a volcano.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 07:42 am   Permalink

Kele
Great piece and a great story

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-07 08:07 am   Permalink

Official deadline for the Swap is tomorrow at midnight Tiki Central Time (Pacific)

But I won't have time to do the actual draw until I get home from work Thursday afternoon, about 5pm. That will give any stragglers a few extra hours to finish up.

Again, here are the people who I know are participating in the Swap. If you intend to be included and your name is not on this list, be sure to contact me.

AlohaStation
AnthonyMaye
Badd Tiki
BB Moondog
Bongo Bungalow
Cy
DanLovesTikis
Hang10Tiki
LittleLostTiki
LoriLovesTiki
MadDogMike
Melekalikimaka
Pikeys Dog
SophistaTiki
Tigertail777
Tiki Daye?
TikiG
TikiSkip
Trader Tom
Traveling Jones
WaikikianMoeKele
ZeroTiki

Thanks,
Mike

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-07 08:22 am   Permalink

Kele, Dan's dad was stationed there immediately after the strike. They must have been there together. We don't have any photos taken during that time and he has since passed on. We thank your dad for his service to his country.

Your gravel art is beautiful, Wendy

MadDogMike, we are looking forward to the moment you post the result. We'll try to mail that same evening. We love the grocery store post offices that stay open until 9 PM.

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 2:23 pm   Permalink

So in this swap, are we each getting individual messages on who to send to so that we get to be surprised when a box comes in the mail? (Which is most fun.) Or are all the swapping names going to be posted so that we will already see what's coming? (Which is less fun.) Alright, so I've made my point and Mike is running this show and doing the work, so I'll just be quiet. It's all fun.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 4:26 pm   Permalink

Tigertail, those kits (I did have some growing up) are what inspired me. I'll see what I can do about the 'special' photos.
Mike, Hang10tiki & Wendy, thank you for your kind words.
Wendy, my Dad was drafted after the attack, then went thru basic & then was aboard a slow banana boat for the trip from California to Hawaii. After he got there, he was stationed there til after the war was over. So although Dan's father was probably there earlier than mine was, they likely were there at least partly at the same time.

In 'tikifying' the frame on my project, I used bamboo skewers & created 4 small (about 1/2" x 1/2") tiki faces molded using Sculpey 3 & accented with rhinestone eyes. I've never worked with it before, but I think they came out fairly well for a rookie.
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 5:56 pm   Permalink

donezo..ready for SWAPPAGE...details tomorrow?

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-07 7:34 pm   Permalink

Hi Kele, the frame tikis are very nice, I would love to see a whole view photo. Dan's dad joined the navy but got out at wars end too.

MadDogMike, here's my wish. That each swap would have the photos of the art side by side so I could see who got what in each trade and from whom. That's a big part of the fun.

In the end do what is easiest. See ya soon, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 7:54 pm   Permalink

Wendy,
Thank you. The pic at the bottom of page 25 is the whole view, I just did the close ups cuz I figured it was nearly impossible to see the detail on the little corners.
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-07 8:46 pm   Permalink

Bongo, I'm kinda new to this Swap thing The few Swaps I have been involved with paired people and they swapped to each other. That's what I had stated at the front and I'll hold to that. I do like the surprise idea though, maybe next time? It would involve everyone sending addresses to the Swap coordinator so that you wouldn't know who has your address, that would be easy enough to do.

Wendy, I think I can pull of the side-by-side pics for you.

List of swap partners to be posted here about 4:30 or 5:00 Thursday!

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-08 04:33 am   Permalink

Been kinda busy, but just wanted to say everyone's turned out wonderfully. I especially like how everyone played with different interpretations not only of the subject, but the "lighting" that goes with the idea of magma/lava. I saw the theme go in some really unexpected and surprising directions, and it was really neat to get an idea of how other artist's brains tackled the same subject.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom

Posted: 2012-08-08 11:18 am   Permalink

I agree that everyone's pieces are turning out beautifully!

I have good news and bad news about my own submission. The good news is that the two bowls and mugs I made survived their bisque firing with flying colors. The bad news is that due to the kiln schedule I won't be able to get them back from the glaze firing for another week or so.

I was worried about missing the deadline, especially since I'd never used this place before and wasn't sure how scheduling worked. Sorry, guys!

I'll still post pics when I get my stuff back from the kiln, though.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-08 6:16 pm   Permalink

I vote for an extension of time for Trader Tom since his piece is "in the works" & will be done very soon. But, of course, that is just my opinion.
~kele

TravelingJones

Posted: 2012-08-08 6:56 pm   Permalink

AMAZING artworkz by ALL! I'm really proud of our tiki community and to participate in Art Swap 2012!! Hana Hou!!!

My entry - Na Iwi O Pele (The Bones of Pele):

...referenced within the sacred texts of an ancient Hawaiian legend, to the broken shards of lava upon the slopes of Maui's Haleakala. Remnants of a terrifying battle between Pele, goddess of fire, and her sister Namakaokahai, goddess of the sea. Defeated and left for dead, Pele escaped to the Big Island, where she lives today. Her "bones", the shards of lava, are a metaphor for Pele's dual nature: mortal and divine, destroyer and creator, desolation and beauty, strength and fragility.

This lamp sculpture was formed with multiple layers of Super Sculpey FIRM, Premo Sculpey cadmium colors and baked in the warm glow of a hot oven. No paint was used on this object. The light is a 15W Kyp-Glo "Balafire" bulb (gold), a retro 70's novelty that flickers and dances like a hot flame captured within a bubble of glass.

Mahalo'z for the kind and encouraging words. This was a lot of fun and I look forward to exchanging with my swap mate, CHEERS!

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation