FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
Pele/Fire/Volcano Art Swap ~ Drawing Results!!!
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-06 12:42 pm   Permalink

Some progress:

(disregatd the tki coffin..... completely different thing)
~Zero

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-06 2:26 pm   Permalink

ZeroTiki gets the prize for being the first one out of the starting gate. Is that a bowlful of lava fire or rum fire?

Quote:

On 2012-05-06 09:46, cy wrote:
I'm confused, isn't Pele the Goddess of lightning, volcanos, thunder, etc? ( i.e. he's a she)

Yes, Pele is a Goddess. But this figure is still inspired by Pele ~ "In an article in Man, February 1932, Harry Beasley suggests that the figure is connected to Pele, goddess of volcanoes" Maybe Pele's lover? You have to respect a man who has the coconuts to do the horizontal hula with the Volcano Goddess!

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2012-05-06 14:38 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-06 3:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the clarification 'cause if Pele were a dude my swap idea would not work out so well. Great start zero!

[ This Message was edited by: cy 2012-05-06 16:00 ]

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-06 6:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-06 14:26, MadDogMike wrote:
Is that a bowlful of lava fire or rum fire?

Yes.

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-07 09:18 am   Permalink

I wasn't too thrilled with the Pele theme, but, I have since changed my mind and can't wait to finish what I have started. This has sitting around in my box of rejects. It now has a new purpose - lets see if I can pull off what I have in mind??

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-07 3:08 pm   Permalink

Sorry Man,
Chick looks like a dude.
My bad.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-07 8:23 pm   Permalink

I'm in

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-07 8:54 pm   Permalink

I want In!!!!!!

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-07 8:54 pm   Permalink

Great start Tom! Glad you're in

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-08 7:19 pm   Permalink

Researching... Pele... volcano... fire... making my head hurt...
Broke a tooth on Saturday night, finally got it filled today, so now I can go back to concentrating on what is important, namely, the Tiki Art Swap!

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-08 7:19 pm   Permalink

Thinking of a couple things for mine.... possibly trying my hand at black velvet painting if I can find the proper velvet and its not too expensive. I wonder though if water mixable oils will work on it the same way as regular oils? I can't use plain oil paints because of my athsma/allergies. I don't suppose acrylic would work as well would it? Anyone know what would work, and where to get said velvet at a decent price?

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-09 5:07 pm   Permalink

i want a piece of this SWEET ACTION..

will do a monkeypod dish similar in style to these

BB MoondoggyO
sweatin' to Quiet Village in AZ

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-09 5:48 pm   Permalink

Kele, glad you're back on track.
Tiger, I'm afraid I'm of no help there. My only painting experience is with latex paint and a roller.
Moondoggie, welcome aboard!

mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-09 10:54 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2012-05-08 19:19, tigertail777 wrote:
Thinking of a couple things for mine.... possibly trying my hand at black velvet painting if I can find the proper velvet and its not too expensive. I wonder though if water mixable oils will work on it the same way as regular oils? I can't use plain oil paints because of my athsma/allergies. I don't suppose acrylic would work as well would it? Anyone know what would work, and where to get said velvet at a decent price?
[/quote

Tigertail, You can use any type of paint you want on velvet. One thing to remember when painting velvets is how do you want to
approach it. Velvet painters like Leeteg or Heather Watts apply several light coats to the velvet building up opacity. This style of painting is time consuming,
needs tons of patience, but is well worth it. The Tijuanna velvet style is quicker where paint is literally flooded or jammed into the velvet for fast opacity and impact.
Either way I would suggest acrylic paint as it dries fast and you can move forward quickly. Blending paint extensively on velvet fabric can turn muddy and mess with the nap of your fabric if it is on the taller side. I do some velvets but still havnt found a great velvet I like yet so I use velveteen. It has a nice short, thick nap that paint sits on top of nicely. Just go to your Joanns or local fabric store and get some black velveteen. i think its about 7 to 10 dollars a yard. I think a good way to start is cut up squares and practice. Dont worry about your painting at first just get a good feel for how the paint goes down and go from there.
I hope this helps and good luck, MP

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-09 11:43 pm   Permalink

Thanks MP that helps a lot! Velveteen sounds kind of like flocked ribbon (you know like those really wide red "velvet" ribbons you can get at Christmas) which if it is anything like that, would be a heck of lot easier to work with. Really appreciate the tips and am very relieved to hear acrylic will work knowing how very slow oils dry. I am excited to try this I have never even attempted doing velvet paintings before.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation