[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars A liquor cabinet:
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
A liquor cabinet:
Alefoot

Posted: 2012-05-22 12:00 am   Permalink

Some fun, on a budget.
(Begging pardon if this is the wrong place for such a post.)

Living a lot of the time in a one-room concrete-box rental, I wanted to give my rum and other cocktail fixings a Tiki home. Well, Tiki-ish, anyway. The self-imposed rules were that other than the base carcase and drawers from an Ikea kitchen unit, everything had to be thrift-store or CraigsList. Bonus points for 'Free'!

Here's the end result. Lots of 'not really Tiki' stuff happening so if that kind of heresy offends then best to look away

Oh, and the superstructure had to be all lashed; no screws or nails. It's solid enough to climb on. If you don't weigh any more than a parrot or a small monkey, anyway.
Kudos and thanks to Tikiskip for the post of pointers on lamp-from-basket making.
I'm well aware that a liquor cabinet pales in comparison to the amazing home bars normally posted here, but it is doing its job...

And the mood in the room is an order of magnitude less clinical than it used to be. Cabinet door is faux packing crate from scrap from the firewood pile - the handle used to be part of a tourist trophy salad set. Ridge beam was a cedar fence board, cladding is recycled babmboo blinds, and so on. The 'jungle' grows out of another faux packing crate, on castors so it can be wheeled aside for cleaning.

cheers!
Alefoot

View Profile of Alefoot Send a personal message to Alefoot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 01:55 am   Permalink

An elegant solution for those who can't go "all out."

Well played, indeed.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 02:51 am   Permalink

Really nice and of course Home Tiki Bars is the right place to post this. I'd love to see more of these.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnlyATikiLad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-22 09:32 am   Permalink

Great job. Very creative.

View Profile of OnlyATikiLad Send a personal message to OnlyATikiLad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beachytikichristine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-22 09:56 am   Permalink

That is so cool, I just love how you did that and it doesn't take over the whole room, really inspires me to do something of my own...

View Profile of beachytikichristine Send a personal message to beachytikichristine  Email beachytikichristine Goto the website of beachytikichristine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 2:07 pm   Permalink

That's a great looking piece of furniture! My first tiki bar was hashed together out of an Ikea bookshelf wrapped in beach mats and lined with halved bamboo poles. It looked like crap! Yours fits both a DIY ethic and visual aesthetic that most folks here would really appreciate. It could be a great start to bigger collection, or a nice place to stop and keep it simple!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 8:00 pm   Permalink

That is rad!!!!!!! I love that idea. Great job.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-22 11:25 pm   Permalink

Fabulous!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alefoot

Posted: 2012-05-23 1:42 pm   Permalink

Thank you all for the kindly and generous feedback I'd be especially happy if anyone was inspired to have a go themselves, and interested to see other takes. Perhaps my search-fu is bad, but while I found lots of great inspiration, I encountered surprisingly few liquor cabinet / mini-bar type approaches on TC.

View Profile of Alefoot Send a personal message to Alefoot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-24 3:02 pm   Permalink

very well done

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-24 5:54 pm   Permalink

I too have a small place. Your idea would fit right into my size apt. I wanted a regular size bar but it would probably be too much. I love what you did with your bar stand. If you don't have the room, you do what you can. Great idea, thank you for sharing.

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki  Email mymotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-24 9:24 pm   Permalink

Great idea!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiB
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-25 08:25 am   Permalink

Bar looks good. I like the quick access you have to your booze. You fit a lot of rum in neatly.

View Profile of TikiB Send a personal message to TikiB  Email TikiB     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
retrolane
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-25 09:52 am   Permalink

Very well done. I love the door and slide out shelves for quick and easy access to the bottles.
The open sign at the top just finishes it off nicely.

Erick

View Profile of retrolane Send a personal message to retrolane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-25 2:19 pm   Permalink

You gotta love IKEA.

Nice way to take an existing product and turn it into something with style.

Ingenious.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation