FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Best and Worst thing I did to my Tiki space, Via Tikiskip, Check here before you build.
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-08 09:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-23 01:31, Kane Tiki wrote:
My number 1 tip.... work out exactly how much raw materials you need before you start the build out and then buy about a quarter extra. You'll need it, especially if you're doing your first build. A lot of trial and error, that is screw ups, means you'll use more than you think. Also, If you can afford it, buy it all at once.

Excellent tip. Another good reason to do this is shipping costs. If you do not have a local source for bamboo, reed, other natural materials going into your bar - you often end up spending near as much money on shipping as the cost of the material itself!

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-08 09:44 am   Permalink

The best thing I did was installing 2 hard wired plug mold strips in my center beam.

Ive got 6 plugs in the ceiling on each side of the center beam and can run swag chains from 12 lamps directly to the ceiling without having a bunch of wire and chains running down the walls to the floor.

Its great because I can turn all of the ceiling lamps on and off at the same time.

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2012-08-08 09:45 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-09 09:11 am   Permalink

Thanks for adding your experienced opinion MM.
Your Tiki spot is one of the best home bars out there.
I gotta get one of my lights in your bar!
But MM is right it is so easy to get wraped up in getting done.
Or you may want/need to save money.
But if you do the hard work and or planning first all will be better.
A hard wired six gang outlet won't be as sexy as that new Bosko tiki,
But it will give you convenience that you will be glad you have later.

So you could say the very best thing you can do is plan, plan, plan!!

I would like to thank all who have added to this thread it will only be
as good as what you fellow TCers put in it.
Hate to see people waste thier time and money on stuff that won't last or work in the end.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-09 1:10 pm   Permalink

And on Monkey Man's point... Even with a 4 gang in the ceiling on a switch, to "turn on" the bar, I must:

1) Hit dimmer switch for lights on mug shelf.
2) Flip power strip behind chair A
3) Flip power strip behind chair B
4) Flip power strip beside couch
5) Flip inline switch beside couch
6) Flip power strip under bar
7) Flip light switch behind bar
Turn on home theater
9) Hit remote for under bar lights
10) Hit switch for LED lights in the thatch

And I have consolidated A LOT of stuff to those power strips! Everything I could I put on power strips and attached them into the overheard switch. My last step may be to install a bunch of clappers!

How many things do you turn on to get your bar going?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-09 2:25 pm   Permalink

1) Wireless Remote that controls Two Plugs on the same frequency. It controls the lights over my bar, the rope lights on the mug shelves, the colored lights on the floor by the tiki.
2) Switched Outlet for two table lamps
3) Multi Speed Fan Switch for the Fan
4) Single Light switch for all 12 outlets in the ceiling

5) Single Programmed Multi Remote that turns on the TV, the Apple TV, the Receiver/Stereo
6) Light switch on the back of the bar that turns on the lights under the front rail of the bar.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-09 6:59 pm   Permalink

Only 2 switches in the Desert Oasis Room. 1 for the electrical grid I installed on the ceiling in the main room (32 outlets) and 1 for the electrical grid I installed on the ceiling over the bar area (12 outlets). No power strips or extension cords anywhere.

Here's a link to how I did it (about halfway down the page):
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=43365&forum=20&start=30

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: polynesianpop 2012-08-11 16:06 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-09 9:01 pm   Permalink

I switched all my outlets to wireless remote control so now instead of flipping on 10 individual powerstrips I can just flip all the lights, fountains, fans, stereo and computer on with a handheld wireless remote control... might be the best thing I've put in the Womb... maybe even better than the extra large Hula Lamp

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-11 3:59 pm   Permalink

WOW!!! Polynesian Pop great job on that space.
Good job running the conduit, thanks for postin that.
And Murph I did not know of those switches before now.
I could put those to use in my home.
At this time I think I have like two switches to flip, and 5 other plug ins.

Here's a tip hate cleaning those brushes after painting or shellacing?
Don't do it then, Just wrap them air tight with plastic wrap.
Then store them in the fridge.
You can keep these brushes in the fridge for a month or so, but if you use them
then wrap and put them back in the fridge I have had brushes in there still good for over a year.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2012-10-27 9:41 pm   Permalink

Was just surfing around and found this site. Might help someone with an idea for re-purposing a cabinet.
http://barmoires.com/

I liked these two the best.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Longboard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-26 2:37 pm   Permalink

Great tips!

Got any for tackling a ceiling, yours is way cool.

View Profile of Longboard Send a personal message to Longboard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-26 3:15 pm   Permalink

Nice Vamp, I like the second one best.
And on the tacking you need to get with Monkeyman for that.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-27 08:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-09 21:01, Murph wrote:
I switched all my outlets to wireless remote control so now instead of flipping on 10 individual powerstrips I can just flip all the lights, fountains, fans, stereo and computer on with a handheld wireless remote control... might be the best thing I've put in the Womb... maybe even better than the extra large Hula Lamp

THis is what you used? I assume you are happy with it. Does it require a line of site? I have outlets behind the couch and chairs I want to use them with. It also appears to cover the outlet and so you can then only use one plug, correct? That's a great price for the convenience.

If I use those, it gets me to 1 dimmer on, one switch flipped, one remote for bar lights and this remote for the rest.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-27 3:15 pm   Permalink

During the Christmas season you can get a similar device from Home Depot. I have outlets behind furniture that go on with no problem. I have one outlet behind the bar refrigerator and sometimes I have to angle the remote. I was going to fish the wires so everything was hard wired but these remote control outlets work great. I have a couple on Lutron dimmer switches and there is a delay before they come on.

I plug a power strip to this device, at the wall outlet. That way I can have multiple lights going off one switch.

[ This Message was edited by: MaukaHale 2012-11-27 15:20 ]

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-27 11:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-27 08:58, Swanky wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-08-09 21:01, Murph wrote:

THis is what you used? I assume you are happy with it. Does it require a line of site? I have outlets behind the couch and chairs I want to use them with. It also appears to cover the outlet and so you can then only use one plug, correct? That's a great price for the convenience.

If I use those, it gets me to 1 dimmer on, one switch flipped, one remote for bar lights and this remote for the rest.

Yes that is the same set I ordered. I love them.
Does not need line of site.
It does cover one outlet but I used a powerstrip on each outlet for multiple plugs.

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-07 09:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

It does cover one outlet but I used a powerstrip on each outlet for multiple plugs.

I use these guys on each of my remote controlled power switches:

Comes in handy for when you need access to that other plug on the outlet.

-mark

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2013-02-07 09:48 ]

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation