FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Am I missing something about a Mai-Tai? (Update: Problem Solved!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Am I missing something about a Mai-Tai? (Update: Problem Solved!)
skeeter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-04 09:50 am   Permalink

You don't have to make your own orgeat if you don't want to:
BG Reynolds makes the best hand crafted orgeat (and other syrups) out there!

http://okolemaluna.com/

View Profile of skeeter Send a personal message to skeeter  Goto the website of skeeter     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-04 10:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-04 09:04, teamtom wrote:
State Line in Elkton, MD. That would be a haul for you though. Maybe we could arrange a trade? I'm looking for Lemon Hart 151 or Marie Brizard Orange Curacao or El Dorado 12 year Demerara or other such items.
Tom

yeah, about 1.5 or 2 hours away. Not exactly close, but I have a friend that lives near Baltimore so when I'm up visiting her, I can always go an hour north to you. Then again, we can always meet in the middle. I understand there are some interesting places in Baltimore and I don't get out that way enough, myself.

I can get Lemon Hart 151, El Dorado 12, 15 or 21 and the Senior's Curacao. I haven't found a place with Marie Brizard. I need to hit more of the liquor stores in DC, they're really varied stock-wise. A trade would be great. =)

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-04 12:10 pm   Permalink

I think the "classic" Mai Tai is a bit too sour. I use the juice of half a lime generally.

The original recipe, and a proper recipe means quality rums. They should be up front in the drink. So, yeah, that can make it not so hot for some. But that is also sort of the point. You can make 1000 drinks that taste like varying degrees of pineapple or cocoanut and no taste of booze. That is not really quality mixology.

The single malt scotch drinker should appreciate a good rum.

I might agree that the typical drink is gonna chose a Pain Killer over a Mai Tai 99.99% of the time. It's the .01% we want to seek out, and encourage. And server a damn good Pain Killer too!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-05 06:09 am   Permalink

When engineering a Mai Tai at a bar, I will often have them use a single malt scotch along with the usual bar rums to introduce that agricole funk into the mix, I've had pretty good results, too!

The barkeeps think I'm crazy and then they give it a try . . . they usually like the results!

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-06-05 06:20 am   Permalink

Quote:
also have a version with pienapple/OJ that some people prefer (what does everyone call that- "Aloha mai tai" or somesuch?)

I think the name you're looking for is "Island style"

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-05 07:27 am   Permalink

Blue K- how much scotch do you have them add (I assume to 2 oz of rum)?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-05 09:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-05 06:09, The Blue Kahuna wrote:
When engineering a Mai Tai at a bar, I will often have them use a single malt scotch along with the usual bar rums to introduce that agricole funk into the mix, I've had pretty good results, too!

The barkeeps think I'm crazy and then they give it a try . . . they usually like the results!

I think a Mai Tai with 1/2 oz Glenlivet 12 YO and St James H'ors D'age is fantastic.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teamtom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-05 10:43 am   Permalink

You guys are pushing it out there with 12 YO Scotch in a mixed drink. Nice work.

Back to the original topic for a minute...Is Senior Curacao a good choice for orange curacao? And if so, should I get the clear or orange colored?
Thanks
Tom

View Profile of teamtom Send a personal message to teamtom      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teamtom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-05 10:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-04 09:50, skeeter wrote:
You don't have to make your own orgeat if you don't want to:
BG Reynolds makes the best hand crafted orgeat (and other syrups) out there!

http://okolemaluna.com/

I pick a few bottles up, thanks.
Tom

View Profile of teamtom Send a personal message to teamtom      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-05 12:47 pm   Permalink

I love Senior's Curacao! Of the brands I've tried (Marie Brizard is the only I've not had), it's my favorite, hands down. I usually get the orange colored one because that's what my stores carry, but I'm pretty sure the only difference between that and the clear is the color (IIRC, it's a food coloring and doesn't affect the taste).

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DavidAfshar

Posted: 2012-06-05 3:18 pm   Permalink

On using Scotch in Mai Tais: At the ol' home bar, we did a Mai Tai taste test using different rums. I was mixing, so I knew what each one was, but the test was blind for my two drinking buddies. As a joke I made one with cane sugar Dr Pepper instead of rum and one with Scotch. The Dr Pepper version was pretty tasty, though not really a cocktail in any real sense. What shocked us was that a Scotch Mai Tai actually received higher marks than some of the rums we were using.

View Profile of DavidAfshar Send a personal message to DavidAfshar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DarthMalaguti
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-05 4:24 pm   Permalink

Can you get Clement Creole Shrubb in Maryland? I think it's the ideal replacement for orange curacao. I believe the Clement Creole Shrubb is highly recommended for the Mai Tai by Beachbum, RumDood, and a few others.

I agree with some of the previous comments. I believe the weakness is the lime. A grocery store lime can easily ruin a $100 Mai Tai. I always taste the lime juice before mixing into any tiki drink. If you begin taste-testing the lime when you're mixing drinks, after a period of time you'll quickly develop your taste-buds for determining good vs. bad limes. I've found no matter where I shop, it's hit-or-miss with the limes. If you find the lime is just too bitter, you can adjust a couple of the ingredients.

Here's my $100 Mai Tai:

1.0 oz Appleton 12
1.0 oz Clement VSOP
0.5 oz Clement Creole Shrubb
.25 oz BG Reynolds Orgeat Syrup
.25 oz Sugar Syrup
1 ounce Fresh Lime Juice
Mint Sprig

If I find the lime is too bitter, I decrease the lime juice to .75 oz, and bump up the orgeat to .5 oz.

View Profile of DarthMalaguti Send a personal message to DarthMalaguti      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-05 4:43 pm   Permalink

If you want to try something all fancy (Very tasty too!)
substitute the Curacao for "Cointreau"
It is great in a classic Trader Vics Mai Tai.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-05 6:11 pm   Permalink

Porposie-

I'll do a full ounce, last time I used Johnny Walker Black Label, a 12 year old too. Seems to me that more than 12 years of age on a rum or a scotch and you get a totally different animal that's more appropriate alone versus mixed in a cocktail.

I am also a fan of the Clement Creole Shrub and collect the odd bottles that pop up at the booze purveyors I frequent. Absent Shrub, I will use Cointreau. Would like to try Marie Brizard, but have never seen it locally.

BG Reynolds Orgeat is my choice as well.

Aloha and okole maluna!

The Blue Kahuna

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-08 7:45 pm   Permalink

Until I had a Mai Tai at the TV in Tokyo I really didn't have any enthusiasm for it, but now I understand. I understand everything. Even my teetotaler friend enjoyed one and he hates booze on principle.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation