FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Jaspers Jamaican from Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails? V
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Jaspers Jamaican from Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails? V
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-14 09:05 am   Permalink

Haus Alpenz is producing/importing a lot of amazing, unique liquors, but they have no Canadian distribution (just as well, I guess - we'd pay twice the price). Every time I travel to the US I send an email to this guy from their American distribution network to see if any stores in the area are carrying their Swedish Punsch, but he never replies. I'll be in Dallas next week, so if any Texans have leads, please let me know!
Swanky, Ted Haigh says he uses Smuckers Raspberry Syrup, so I've been using a similar (but all natural) syrup that is probably meant for pancakes to very good result. I'd go that direction rather than a coffee shop-style, raspberry flavor syrup, if that's what you're looking for at your local Middle-Eastern place.

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kronanpunsch

Posted: 2012-06-14 12:18 pm   Permalink

Hi, KRONAN Punsch is available in several states in USA today. If you go to our facebook.com/kronanpunsch under where to buy you find stores and bars that carry KRONAN. Yes, we are also in Dallas.... if you need more info or ideas how to get KRONAN to Canada please contact me henrik@kronanpunsch.com

Have a good trip

View Profile of kronanpunsch Send a personal message to kronanpunsch  Email kronanpunsch Goto the website of kronanpunsch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
van Oosten
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-14 7:19 pm   Permalink

Try calling ahead to Pogos and requesting they bring in if not already in stock. You ask you get. Enjoy your visit to Texas too!

View Profile of van Oosten Send a personal message to van Oosten  Goto the website of van Oosten     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-14 7:28 pm   Permalink

You guys are awesome! Thanks for your help on this!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-15 04:46 am   Permalink

I think it's a great book and I'm working my way through it, albeit slowly.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-15 08:02 am   Permalink

I think Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails is worth buying alone for the history and great pics of vintage liquor bottles, not to mention the recipes. I do find it heavy on Gin-related drinks though, though there are a large number of drinks containing rum, often joined by other spirits, such as cognac/brandy. Also several recipes for Applejack and/or Calvados, such as the Jack Rose and others. I think Laird's straight Apple Brandy is killer stuff.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-16 3:07 pm   Permalink

Ted Haigh is the unsung pioneer of the craft cocktail revival. He was tinkering in his home lab, reverse engineering extinct cocktail ingredients way before most of today's cocktailians had heard the names pimento dram and falernum. Of course his recipes are sometimes demanding - he did not have to cater to anyone other than his obsession for old liquor and cocktails.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-17 09:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-13 13:20, Swanky wrote:
That is a very frustrating book. It seems every recipe in it has a catch. You have to buy a bottle of some expensive or obscure ingredient to make it. Who wants to spend $30 obtaining a bottle of something you may use 1 ounce of and not care for the drink? Or, like this one, that requires mixing up some potion, and in this case, a big quantity and then if you don't like it...

I had a bottle of the Stroh, and I thought it was horrible and I like most drinks. But I guess it's worth trying. Swanky which strength Stroh were you looking for?

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-21 11:08 am   Permalink

I've made some Jasper's Secret Mix, so I'll be trying this out soon. The mix tastes good on it's own so far.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-21 11:13 am   Permalink

I have heard that Stroh is nasty. Mail me 2 ounces please! You will NEVER find that in an airline bottle size!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-21 11:57 am   Permalink

nobody puts out the airplane bottles of rum except pretty much bacardi...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-22 4:39 pm   Permalink

Made my Jasper's Secret Mix yesterday and tried it today. Gorgeous.
Tried the Jasper's Jamaican Planter's Punch with Coruba side by side with Jasper's Rum Punch with Wray and Nephew overproof.
The first with Coruba was great but the second with the Wray and Nephew was sensational. I'm not a fan of W&N neat but in this drink it was amazing. Rummy, spicy, deep, sweet, sour.
Make that Jasper's Mix Up and you've a very quick and very tasty treat whenever you need it.

Try it!

GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-23 08:08 am   Permalink

Ok! Ok! I give! I made a batch of Jasper's Secret Mix this morning and put it in the fridge to mature until tonight. Fortunately I had exactly 12 fresh limes and a large unopened bottle of Angostura bitters. For the suger, I use all natural pure cane. As I have both Coruba and Wray and Nephew white overproof I'll try the Jasper's Rum Punch as well.
I have two friends visiting tonight . . . Ah! test subjects!

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-24 12:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-23 08:08, GentleHangman wrote:
Ok! Ok! I give! I made a batch of Jasper's Secret Mix this morning and put it in the fridge to mature until tonight. Fortunately I had exactly 12 fresh limes and a large unopened bottle of Angostura bitters. For the suger, I use all natural pure cane. As I have both Coruba and Wray and Nephew white overproof I'll try the Jasper's Rum Punch as well.
I have two friends visiting tonight . . . Ah! test subjects!

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-24 5:02 pm   Permalink

Awright! So how much lime juice do you get from 12 limes? In this case 11.5 ounces. So that's all I had available for the "Secret Mix" - and it worked just splendidly! I made a total of six drinks. Three using Coruba; three using Wray & Nephew Overproof. Actually, we all liked both drinks - the ones with Coruba for their smooth mellowness and rummy depth; and the ones with Wray and Nephew for the 'cutting edge warmth' and complex avenue it took the drink along. Two very different drink profiles by simply changing a single rum.
I'm tempted to make up some more of the mix just to try it with different rum combinations like Zaya and El Dorodo 12 YO; Kohala Bay & Lemon Hard 151 . . I'm just sayin',
Totally worth it!

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2012-06-24 17:03 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation