FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-13 1:32 pm   Permalink

Hoping this is the thread?

I found this painting recently and have had a difficult time identifying the artist. Is anyone familiar with this signature? It almost looks like Tyree, but perhaps that is wishful thinking!

Thanks for the assistance,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-18 10:31 pm   Permalink

Hey folks-

After much hubbub about the use of this thread, I think we've found a good one- "what the hell is this??"
There's so much stuff out there... for those of us looking for information to add to our own fund of knowledge (as opposed to creating a poor man's Tiki Antiques Roadshow) I think this thread will come in mighty handy.

Without further to-do...

Recently stumbled on this mega-lamp at a flea market; It's big! The base is 21", with the shade it's around 4ft tall (they don't make 'em like this anymore...)

It's hefty- probably weighs 10 pounds or more. Made of thick ceramic (might be plaster)

The guy we bought it from says he's seen only one before... that doesn't tell us much about it, other than that it must have been mass produced.

Anybody know anything about it? Manufacturer? Date?

We absolutely love it- it's like Kon Tiki Tucson robo-tiki meets Mr. Bali Hai (it's the earrings...) meets moai.

Any help from the knowledgeable Grand Poobahs out there is appreciated...

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hottiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-22 8:10 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: hottiki 2012-09-22 08:49 ]

View Profile of hottiki Send a personal message to hottiki  Email hottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
slimman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-14 5:07 pm   Permalink

What do you all think of this? Any ideas who made it? The globe in the middle conceals the light bulb.

Any thoughts are appreciated

View Profile of slimman Send a personal message to slimman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-14 5:35 pm   Permalink

slimman, That is simply ugly......sorry no disrespect, but I hope you did not buy it.
So that is what it is.....ugly.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-14 5:49 pm   Permalink

Not sure ugly is a word I would use. I kind of like it, but my mind immediately goes to Halloween decor and not tiki. Maybe it is the chains on it or something. There is a truly creepy vibe to it.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-14 6:10 pm   Permalink

that'd look awesome in the Bearded Bastards' haunted dining room.

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
slimman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-15 3:54 pm   Permalink

I wouldn't call it ugly per se. But yeah it is rather unusual. It caught my eye from across the room though. I have not bought it yet, but it might end up as an addition for the tiki bar out back, with some slight modifications.

View Profile of slimman Send a personal message to slimman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-15 4:08 pm   Permalink

It does look "African" inspired.......I think from the "Ugly Tribe"

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mudbone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-16 07:26 am   Permalink

I sure hope that it is one of a kind !

View Profile of mudbone Send a personal message to mudbone  Email mudbone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-16 10:28 am   Permalink

It looks a lot like that Iron Spanish Conquistador style decor that was popular in the early 70s.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pikeys Dog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-16 3:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-16 10:28, Tiki Shaker wrote:
It looks a lot like that Iron Spanish Conquistador style decor that was popular in the early 70s.

"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAn7baRbhx4

View Profile of Pikeys Dog Send a personal message to Pikeys Dog  Goto the website of Pikeys Dog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holler Waller
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-16 4:18 pm   Permalink

Fear, Surprise, and an almost fanatical devotion to the discoveries of great new (older) threads.....:

1. You should use the search function before you start a new thread like this. This topic was covered most recently in this thread:

Mystery Tiki - Answering the questions: "Where is this tiki from? "Who made it?" What is it for?

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32779&forum=13&283

3. http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34573&forum=5

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alfie the Moai
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-18 07:54 am   Permalink

I have had this lamp for a while. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it Tiki? I swear I saw one on here years ago?

View Profile of Alfie the Moai Send a personal message to Alfie the Moai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-18 11:06 am   Permalink

It depicts "African Tribal Shields" (So not Tiki)
The lamp itself looks to be from the 1950s to early 1960s
judging from the style & patina of the metal on the lamp.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation