FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 Next Page )
Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-10 2:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-08-10 14:13, swizzle wrote:
Ok, so no response/help on my last post. Maybe someone can help with this one.

Another antique store find, this time in Flagstaff, AZ, and a different friend. This one is confusing as the carving detail/pattern around the top and the figures body/stance look very Polynesian, but the face just doesn't look right, so to me i think it is of African origin.

Also, going by the way the bottom of the "tiki's" are rounded and worn it certainly looks like it was used for something, i'm guessing grinding up grains or something similar, so definitely not a tourist piece. Any one have any ideas?

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2015-08-10 14:14 ]

It is an African Dogon Stool for sitting on
they can be plain or intricately carved.

Here is a African Kamba Wood Tripod Stool
from a the Kamba tribe in Kenya, less ornate then other tribal carvings.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2015-08-10 14:46 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-10 3:36 pm   Permalink

That explains the heavy wear on the feet/tiki's. Thanks ATP.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-10 3:59 pm   Permalink

You got it.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Teadoir
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-08-14 8:28 pm   Permalink

Any idea what this guy is? Is it Polynesian , African, South American? I have no idea....

View Profile of Teadoir Send a personal message to Teadoir      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-15 12:27 am   Permalink

It has the aesthetic of an Congolese (African) Fetish effigy
consistent with the pose and face looking up, but the open eyes
suggest it could be of South American origin, all I have to go on
is similar figures from both countries.

ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-15 12:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-08-14 20:28, Teadoir wrote:
Any idea what this guy is? Is it Polynesian , African, South American? I have no idea....

Micronesian...caroline islands..satawan islands...

I have a similar piece, and that's the closest I came up with on my research.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-15 04:35 am   Permalink

Our search feature shows:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=48906&forum=1&hilite=3224x5504b37a

[ This Message was edited by: Will carve 2015-08-15 04:42 ]

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-15 12:57 pm   Permalink

Yes, it seems to be a Micronesian Monkeymen figure, nice job.

Always Down

Posted: 2015-08-21 3:39 pm   Permalink

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me with this chipped-up little tiki. What I've figured out so far is that the big round eyes, swirled earlobes, broad nose, concentric oval mouth, and the shape of the fingers indicate that this is a Marquesan tiki. But these don't seem super collectible, and I don't think I have seen even one small stone or lava collectible Marquesan tiki in my search. Am I missing something? Is there a whole section of the internet that I skipped? Does it seem strange that this one landed on the shelf at my thrift store for 69 cents?

After I did quite a bit of searching, I found just one tiki that closely resembles this one. It was buried deep in ebay's completed listings, sold from Amsterdam. There are a few very subtle differences in the smallest details, but for the most part they are nearly identical. The main difference is that the ebay tiki was described as having been molded of plaster or ceramic, and it's pretty obvious that mine is not. And if it is of any consequence, the one I found on ebay has what remains of a sticker on the bottom.

And I don't really have a question. I just thought I would post, on the chance that someone out there in the world might find it interesting or have something interesting to say about it.

Anyway, the first 4 pics are of my new tiki, and the fifth pic is the one I found on ebay.

View Profile of Always Down Send a personal message to Always Down      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-21 4:28 pm   Permalink

It is a Marquesasian Tiki from the Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia.

More examples:

Always Down

Posted: 2015-08-21 5:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks for your reply! I had already sorted that much out... but I just thought this tiki might have been an unusual find. I guess maybe not.

View Profile of Always Down Send a personal message to Always Down      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-21 6:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-08-15 00:27, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
consistent with the pose and face looking up....

You need to stop trying to answer these on this thread; youre ALWAYS wrong!

Its a common souvenir cast piece.

Ive seen them in a few colors. There are a couple more around the same size and composition that Ive seen as well.

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2015-08-21 9:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-08-21 18:39, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Quote:

On 2015-08-15 00:27, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
consistent with the pose and face looking up....

You need to stop trying to answer these on this thread; youre ALWAYS wrong!

Its a common souvenir cast piece.

Ive seen them in a few colors. There are a couple more around the same size and composition that Ive seen as well.

Buzzy Out!

Wait, before this get's more confusing, ATP's above quote was in reference to this:

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-22 04:55 am   Permalink

Yes (Thanks Karl!) I wasn't sure about the Micronesian Monkeyman (ErichTroudt nailed that one), but the Marquesasian, as well as the African Dogon Stool
is right on the mark, come on Buzzy, if your going to break my balls, get it right, I know, that you know your stuff

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-22 7:13 pm   Permalink

Here's mine

Info from HotTiki:

I found a photo that shows them being sold prior to 1953 in a shop in Wakiki...
they made a lot of them..
if you have the book on Lee tag the velvet painter on page 61 you will see the little marq on the table

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2015-08-23 14:40 ]

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation