FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Help Identify, What Is This, Is This A? Thread
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 8:06 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for chiming in Bigbro. I recall seeing very similar "hacked" pieces being carved by a group of young men at the Aloha Bowl (Oahu) a couple of years ago. I have several that I've snagged here in the L A area at thrift's, garage sales, etc.
Canvas, I like yours a lot , seems to me it has more detail than most.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 8:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-15 20:05, Shrivle wrote:
Anyone recognize this style of carving? or patterning? Was purchased in Rotorua, New Zealand. I think it's Maori but is not in the traditional Maori style.

Definitely Maori. It's a cribbage board. Here's another one in a different style:

Only question about yours is: Made for home use or tourist trade?

So anyone know about this lamp I just got:

Guanko style or tribute? Production or one off? and finally,Where was it from?

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 8:26 pm   Permalink

Maybe Cook Island Maori? I googled "Cook Island" and then clicked on "images". Warning: You will get sidetracked with the abundance of wonderful pix of Island carvings
Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-01-15 20:27 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 8:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-15 20:06, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Mahalo for chiming in Bigbro. I recall seeing very similar "hacked" pieces being carved by a group of young men at the Aloha Bowl (Oahu) a couple of years ago. I have several that I've snagged here in the L A area at thrift's, garage sales, etc.
Canvas, I like yours a lot , seems to me it has more detail than most.
Cheers

Indeed, the yes and nose are more balanced and better sculpted, the whole body too. That's why I am thinking that an elder in that family business might have carved it, and the stuff we see nowadays is his kids, literally and figuratively.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 8:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-15 20:26, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Maybe Cook Island Maori? I googled "Cook Island" and then clicked on "images". Warning: You will get sidetracked with the abundance of wonderful pix of Island carvings

Well would that be from the Cook Islands, or from the Maori in New Zealand? - two distinctly different styles. It is neither, it is Hawaiian Ku, but Buzzy already knows that. His question was if it could possibly be based on Milan Guanko's style, a Filipino carver in the US.

Buzz-man, I don't think this is Guanko, or Bumatay. But I have seen that style before somewhere, just can't pin it down...O.A. might have an idea.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 9:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-15 20:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-15 20:26, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

Well would that be from the Cook Islands, or from the Maori in New Zealand? - two distinctly different styles. It is neither, it is Hawaiian Ku, but Buzzy already knows that. His question was if it could possibly be based on Milan Guanko's style, a Filipino carver in the US.

Buzz-man, I don't think this is Guanko, or Bumatay. But I have seen that style before somewhere, just can't pin it down...O.A. might have an idea.

I should learn how to use the "quotes" function at the bottom of each post. I was responding to the Canvas' cribbage board and should have said Cook Island Maori as opposed to N. Z. Maori.
Mahalo Bigbro

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 9:16 pm   Permalink

Aha! That can happen, that's why it is indeed safer to quote so people know what you are referring to.

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 9:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-15 20:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
But I have seen that style before somewhere, just can't pin it down...O.A. might have an idea.

Same here. I was hoping you'd remember more for me. thanks

Buzzy

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JONPAUL
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 5:51 pm   Permalink

There are quite a few very similar examples at Trader Dick's in Sparks. I believe they are thought to have been created by Eli Hedley.

I documented more of them
HERE.
FIBERGLASS JUNGLE on Luxuria

View Profile of JONPAUL Send a personal message to JONPAUL  Goto the website of JONPAUL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 7:09 pm   Permalink

Some nice people I deal with have this tiki. They have had it for over 25 years. They bought it in the Covina area. No other history on it. It's a solid piece of lava, weighs a ton, a appears to be carved with power tools... Maybe a grinder or the like...

It brings up so many questions... Who carved it? Why didn't they finish it? Was it supposed to be finished? Why did the carver pick a "cartoonish" style face?

I've been looking at tiki stuff for close to 20 years and its got me stumped. I probably won't end up with it unless they come way down on the price....

Here's a few more angles of it...

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2013-01-16 19:20 ]

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aquatic Safarinaut
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-01-18 11:39 am   Permalink

Not mine...but trying to I.D. for a friend...
Was in the Sacramento Coral Reef....

Any ideas who the carver might have been?

Cheers,
John

View Profile of Aquatic Safarinaut Send a personal message to Aquatic Safarinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-23 08:57 am   Permalink

John, email an image to Bob and Leroy. They IDed mine as Ed Crissman.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aquatic Safarinaut

Posted: 2013-01-23 11:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-23 08:57, Jungle Trader wrote:
John, email an image to Bob and Leroy. They IDed mine as Ed Crissman.

Thanks Vic...that's a good Idea...

View Profile of Aquatic Safarinaut Send a personal message to Aquatic Safarinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aquatic Safarinaut

Posted: 2013-01-24 4:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-18 11:39, Aquatic Safarinaut wrote:
Not mine...but trying to I.D. for a friend...
Was in the Sacramento Coral Reef....

Any ideas who the carver might have been?

Cheers,
John

Got this from Bob at OA...

Aloha John:
The large tiki with hands folded over his chest is a nice tiki. Looks like it is carved from solid palmwood. In the 1960's we had 6 carvers working for us on an acre of palm logs. One order called for 35 tikis up to 7' tall. This tiki has some features like Ed Crissman used to use.
He worked for OA for 20 years. However the eyes are different and the depth of carving is different. The hands and small belly are features that Milan Guanko used, but not the upper half. Lots of carvers in Northern California in the 60's and 70's could have carved it.

Usually we know many carvers styles, however we are at a loss to name a carver Sorry we could not be of more help to you John.
Bob

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-08 5:28 pm   Permalink

Ed Crissman carved the many poles in the Mai-Kai if I am not mistaken. Lots of other classic carvings too... including some at Trader Vic's in Atlanta.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation