FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Router Carving Day- October 13th 2012 - Vista, CA-UPDATED with Photos
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Router Carving Day- October 13th 2012 - Vista, CA-UPDATED with Photos
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-23 09:58 am   Permalink

Preliminary pricing estimates are as follows.

$30 per person if you bring your own router and bits.
$60 per person if you dont have a router.

I will use these proceeds to purchase:
* Additional routers (for those of you that dont have one)
* Router bits
* Extension cords
* Carving tables
* Paint Brushes
* Craft Paint
* Stain
* Sand Paper & Steel Wool
* Picture Hangers/Wire\
* Rope and Shell Embellishments
* Hot Glue/Glue Guns
* Filter Masks
* Lunch
* Bar supplies

Once you are finished with the router work then the Bar will be open to you as well. A Mai Tai while painting, gluing & staining can be a relaxing experience.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
marion-n-brad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-23 11:52 am   Permalink

Lunch and a Mai Tai! That is totally worth it....Marion and i are looking forward to it. Thanks Derek!

View Profile of marion-n-brad Send a personal message to marion-n-brad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gino Hasler Jr

Posted: 2012-07-23 4:26 pm   Permalink

Monkeyman, could you recommend a good plunge router for someone just starting out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

View Profile of Gino Hasler Jr Send a personal message to Gino Hasler Jr  Goto the website of Gino Hasler Jr     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-06 09:21 am   Permalink

There are many different ways you can go on Routers but I recommend that you purchase a PLUNGE Router for maximum accuracy and flexibility.

Unlike a standard router base, a PLUNGE router has springs in it that allow you to push the router straight down and lift it straight up. This way you can start cuts in the middle of your piece instead of always having to start and finish on an edge.

There are obviously many brands to choose from but I have had great success with the inexpensive Ryobi Brand at Home Depot. They are decent tools for the price and the average hobbyist should find them adequate.

The plunge router I recommend is $99 at Home Depot.
Its got a height lock, depth stop, variable speed dial (important), and the option for two different collet sizes (either 1/4" or 1/2"). The collet size will determine what sized shank router bits you purchase.

Link to Ryobi Plunge Router

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2012-08-06 09:35 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-06 09:32 am   Permalink

In addition to an appropriate router you will need a minimum selection of router BITS.

The best bits to have for maximum flexibility are:

• 90 degree V BIT

• Ό” Core Box Bit (A Round Nose Bit will also work)

• 3/8” Core Box Bit

If you want additional Bits to add to your arsenal I would also recommend:
• 60 degree V Bit (often only available at specialty woodworking stores)

• ½” Core Box Bit.

As you purchase your bits pay attention to the shank (router bit shaft) size as it will need to be the same size as the collet (the receiving end in the router). Ό” versus ½”.

You need Clamps to hold your work down.

I have had good luck with the Irwin Brand. These are “One Handed” clamps with soft pads to avoid pressure damage to your work.

Gino Hasler Jr

Posted: 2012-08-06 10:17 am   Permalink

Thanks so much for all the info Monkeyman. I think this will be my next purchase!

View Profile of Gino Hasler Jr Send a personal message to Gino Hasler Jr  Goto the website of Gino Hasler Jr     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-06 4:03 pm   Permalink

If there's still room, Mary and I would like to be there. Probably a team effort. We'll have a router and the basic bits.

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-06 5:12 pm   Permalink

Ok.

The ideal class size will be 10 people... 15 max. When folks start getting serious about committing etc then we can have everybody contact me via PM for your official "spot" in the class.

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-06 5:38 pm   Permalink

Curse this vast Pacific Ocean! I'd love to attend if I could. I just spent the weekend making a new gate for the yard after being inspired by router work I've seen on TC. I gotta get one of those 60 degree v bits!

My humble router gate:

Hope it goes well - please post pics of the class for us folks who can't attend!

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-06 5:55 pm   Permalink

Great idea having a Router class, love it!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-06 5:58 pm   Permalink

I am a big fan of the "Rigid" brand Routers at Home Depot also, really solid, but cost a bit more.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-15 5:10 pm   Permalink

Page one has been updated with an attendee list.

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2012-08-16 11:01 ]

MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-25 09:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-10 18:21, Monkeyman wrote:

Each participant will go home with their own custom wall art or signage.

I will provide the tools or you can bring your own.
I will provide the wood, paint, and stain

You will prepare your line artwork in advance.

What size piece of wood should I be making a line drawing for?"

My interest is in making trim for the ceiling, doors and maybe a shelf.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-25 11:21 am   Permalink

As much as I would like to accommodate everyones requests for specific sized pieces we need to stick to a preset size so that I can properly prepare for everyone.

We will be making a sign during this class. The sign can be one of two sizes. 11" x 34" or 11" x 25 1/2".

You decide which size sign you want. To prepare your layout use either 3 or 4 pages of blank paper.

Tape them edge to edge. And start designing. I usually do my sketches on a small scale so that I can easily see symmetry.
When I arrive at a design I like I sketch it full size on the larger pages.

If you want to work on trim and such I am happy to give pointers but you would need to supply your own wood.

This is the proportion with 4 sheets across
11" x 34"

This is the proportion with 3 sheets across.
11" x 25 1/2"

I can help with how to design for the bits you are using in the coming weeks. Ive got a crawl to prepare for right now.

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2012-08-25 11:23 ]

whoseyrtiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-09-10 06:59 am   Permalink

How thick are the pieces of wood we will be working with? Thick enough to plunge to different depths in a given piece? Too ambitious?
Mwaahaahaa!!!

View Profile of whoseyrtiki Send a personal message to whoseyrtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation