[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Making Pendants on your computer
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 ) Remove Highlighting
Making Pendants on your computer
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-06 7:22 pm   Permalink

A couple of problems were evident with the smaller size. I think there was less detail on these. It may be because the tutorial sculpt actually had a bit more detail and had more undercuts than the previous ones. I did that on purpose because this is all pretty experimental for me. It may be that this sculpt was just harder for Shapeways to reproduce. Also in the castings, I got more bubble holes on these smaller ones. I believe that is because there were smaller and thinner edges in the detail. Bubbles seem to form in the same places all the time. Any suggestions from folks with more casting experience would be greatly appreciated. All those faults sure made this one look old and worn.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-06 7:26 pm   Permalink

A little thicker paint coat on this one kinda covers up some of the defects. But those pesky bubbles are still there. You may notice that this one looks a little different because I cut the top hanger off and drilled a hole in it to see how that would work with a jump ring. I had become concerned that at this smaller size the top hanger might break off, so I tried this other approach.

View Profile of Gene S Morgan Send a personal message to Gene S Morgan  Email Gene S Morgan Goto the website of Gene S Morgan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-06 7:29 pm   Permalink

Whystler had suggested to me that I try to have my pendants produced in a smoother material. I tried one in what was called a polished version of the material I was using. This is the sculpt I tried that with.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-06 7:32 pm   Permalink

This is a design I produced awhile back as a t-shirt design. It was easy to convert it for a pendant design.

Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-06 7:36 pm   Permalink

These smoother finished tikis take the paint really well. And, they seem to have fewer bubbles. But, I think, again, the small size and polishing reduced the detail. The teeth which are nice in the original sculpt are kind of messed up on the pendant. I was disappointed with that ....
I'm still trying to get this stuff right . That is all I have for now ...

We have some of these pendants available (and there are more to come) on our website: etsy.com/shop/morgancreativedesign

My t-shirt shop is at: cafepress.com/cidgraphics

Unkl Ian
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-11-07 7:50 pm   Permalink

If you pour the resin sooner, it gives more time
for the bubbles to float away from the surface.

View Profile of Unkl Ian Send a personal message to Unkl Ian  Goto the website of Unkl Ian     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkl Ian
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-11-08 11:34 am   Permalink

You can also use a soft (disposable) brush, to coat
the mold cavity with resin first.

This breaks up the bubbles on the surface.

View Profile of Unkl Ian Send a personal message to Unkl Ian  Goto the website of Unkl Ian     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gene S Morgan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-26 1:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks very much Unkl Ian for your suggestions. They sure were helpful. I will give them a try. .... Gene

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation