FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » mai tai help - bevmo
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
mai tai help - bevmo
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-31 10:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-30 18:39, mcmtiki wrote:
By searching the list and the web it seems that Trader Vic's no longer sells a Navy Grog mix nor a Navy Grog concentrate -- is that true?

Not sure. The TV web store shows that its web site is currently down for maintenance. I'd check back in a week or two,

https://shoptradervics.com/

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2012-07-31 10:14 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mcmtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-31 1:53 pm   Permalink

Just e-mailed Trader Vic's HQ and got a very swift, friendly reply. In a nutshell: "Navy Grog Mix is not currently available and the Concentrate is for Trader Vic’s restaurants only."

View Profile of mcmtiki Send a personal message to mcmtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-01 08:18 am   Permalink

I bought a bottle of the Navy Grog Mix once, and regretted wasting my $$ on it. BLECH!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-01 1:42 pm   Permalink

At this point, I wouldn't buy any of the Trader Vic's-branded products. They're full of HFCS and God knows what else.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-03 7:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-24 14:27, lunavideogames wrote:
I recently went to Trader Vic's downtown and I had 4 drinks. All of them were way too sweet and syrupy for my taste. I am going to try the one in Beverly Hills next month, I hope it is better. Thumbs down on all Trader Vic's drinks from me. I am sure that they are far from the original recipes at this point though.

Then I'm sorry, but the only way to rectify this problem will be flying to Tokyo to have a Mai Tai at the Trader Vic's there. I wish there was an easier way to get you a good TV Mai Tai but this is the only way.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
19tikichef62
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-04 12:59 pm   Permalink

I came across this recipe in a 1969 book called the amateur bartenders Hawaiian friend,it's called a zombie sleepwalker-1oz dark rum-1oz light rum-1oz Jamaican rum-4 dashes cherry brandy- 4 dashes apricot brandy-1 dash papaya juice- juice of half lime-serve over ice with your favorite fruit garnish- flame with 151 If you dare-ENJOY

View Profile of 19tikichef62 Send a personal message to 19tikichef62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-04 3:02 pm   Permalink

Next time I am in Tokyo I'll have to try one!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-04 3:36 pm   Permalink

Regarding the Trader Vic's Navy Grog mix...A little over a year ago I ran across a post on sloshed.com detailing their attempts to recreate a Tiki Puka Puka from the published Trader Vic's recipe which calls for 3 ounces of said Navy Grog mix. To replicate the mix, they took to searching the internet. That led to a post by PiPhiRho here on Tiki Central and were inspired to create their version of the Navy Grog mix.

Which is just a long way of saying that one answer to Trader Vic's Navy Grog mix is right here on Tiki Central, so long as you're ok with the DIY method. Which, by the way, is totally worth it. I make mine with a bit of cardamom included and overall it's pretty darn close to Trader Vic's mix.

Mahalo to PiPhiRho for the original post detailing the DIY method!

kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cvcgolf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-10 6:09 pm   Permalink

Make it the way the experts do it.. Just be sure you're not doing it all wrong..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZUYP1gn-fY&list=FL-iRLqClVLzc7iImRJhrbDA&index=33&feature=plpp_video

View Profile of cvcgolf Send a personal message to cvcgolf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-19 11:35 pm   Permalink

Yeah the TV mix they use in house is not what they sell online

If you are ONLY trying to make the Navy Grog, the recipe I posted above will taste almost identical to the Navy Grog at TV and it uses better ingredients

One of my other fav's is the Puka Puka - the Puka Puka in the Beachbum book does not taste the same, so you probably have to get friendly with your local TV bartender or break out the chemistry set and get to work

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mcmtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-29 2:44 pm   Permalink

I'd like some help to improve my Mai Tai. Somehow, the magic isn't quite there. Here's what I have--

Barbancourt Rhum 5 Star (8 year)
Appleton Estate Extra
Senior Curacao Orange
Torani Orgeat
Stirrings Simple Syrup
Lime

I have tried other orgeat, which to me is not so much the problem here, but I am open to suggestions. Mainly, I'm thinking I need to maybe go higher top shelf in one of the key ingredients. Is there a curacao or a rum I can update (swap for) to take this to the next level? I wondering if the Barbancourt is the weak link?

Many thanks.

View Profile of mcmtiki Send a personal message to mcmtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-29 3:14 pm   Permalink

Barbancourt is an awesome rum for Mai Tais in my opinion, and you can get the $50 bottle of 15 year if you want to do that. Torani Orgeat is your weakest link. If you can find Finest Call (which they have had at BevMo, but I don't see anymore), it would be superior to Torani and TV, but Trader Vic's is way better than Torani. Torani is a flavoring for coffees and not meant for drinks. It overpowers the flavor even with a half shot or less making it taste too rich. Or there are threads to make your own Orgeat, which would be the best option.

Get Grand Marnier instead of Curacao. These are more costly, but make a HUGE difference. You can also get the more expensive Appleton too. Wouldn't hurt.

But yeah, I feel like the Torani is your biggest issue for flavor.

I like to put a mint leaf into the shaker when I shake it up too. Adds just a little flavor.

EDIT - Oops, I meant substitute Grand Marnier for Curacao, not Orgeat.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2013-07-29 16:03 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-29 3:15 pm   Permalink

And I don't use any simple syrup, sweet enough already.

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 3:21 pm   Permalink

Torani syrup is definitely the weakest link. Reather than trading up to another weak link with Finest Call or Fee Bros. orgeat, roll up your sleeves and make your own. Well worth the effort.

I wish I had ready access to Senior Curacao. I may give Ferrand Dry Curacao a try sometime soon since that seems to be a product people are liking.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 3:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-29 15:14, lunavideogames wrote:
Barbancourt is an awesome rum for Mai Tais in my opinion, and you can get the $50 bottle of 15 year if you want to do that. Torani Orgeat is your weakest link. If you can find Finest Call (which they have had at BevMo, but I don't see anymore), it would be superior to Torani and TV, but Trader Vic's is way better than Torani. Torani is a flavoring for coffees and not meant for drinks. It overpowers the flavor even with a half shot or less making it taste too rich. Or there are threads to make your own Orgeat, which would be the best option.

Get Grand Marnier instead of Orgeat. These are more costly, but make a HUGE difference. You can also get the more expensive Appleton too. Wouldn't hurt.

But yeah, I feel like the Torani is your biggest issue for flavor.

I like to put a mint leaf into the shaker when I shake it up too. Adds just a little flavor.

I agree on the Barbancourt, I am a fan of the "Monin" brand of syrups they tend to be sweet, but they only use natural sugar
and the Orgeat is better then most store bought brands.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-07-29 15:56 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation