FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars My new Hut..the beginning....
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
My new Hut..the beginning....
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 12:56 pm   Permalink

I agree with nomeus, I dig the beams. Amazing detail throughout onthebeams, and I. Especially like all of the different details/ decor found above. Look forward to seeing more!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-31 3:17 pm   Permalink

Killer work! This was one hot year, and in Yucaipa... whoa. Now that it's cooler I hope to see more!

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki  Email Zinctiki Goto the website of Zinctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 4:01 pm   Permalink

Wowsers!!! that's totally awesome!!! looks like a cool hotel or dive bar!!! I love your metal ship's door too, soooooo cool!!!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 11:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the nice words... it honestly helps motivate me..... I'm glad people are diggin it.

next are Ship door hinges to make it functional, finish the lauhala matting on the wall, more shelves and eventually the floor.

In the meantime I'm visioning my Disney tiki room area, and if I have enough talent and money to pull it off.
(it will be nice to see my 2 drummers...they are still in the original boxes)

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-06 12:10 am   Permalink

Got the hinges made for the ship door. They work great, plenty strong to hold that 85,000 pound door...(okay maybe not that heavy, but its gotta 200-300 pounds)and the door is swinging nicely.
Now I can finish the closet and put bamboo, matting, and shelves on the east wall.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-06 05:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-06 00:10, ErichTroudt wrote:
Got the hinges made for the ship door. They work great, plenty strong to hold that 85,000 pound door...(okay maybe not that heavy, but its gotta 200-300 pounds)and the door is swinging nicely.
Now I can finish the closet and put bamboo, matting, and shelves on the east wall.

I hope they are 'thru bolted' with a steel plate on the back side.
NOT just lagged in.

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2014-01-06 05:34 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-06 11:54 pm   Permalink

It is bolted thru. The closet walls are into the wall studs and the floor. The door is bolted thru a 4x4 and a 2x4 so it goes thru both walls. The gussets on the hinges take all the strain from the door weight pushing down. Hinges are made from 3/8 steel. All welded by a professional. A lot of planning and thought went into it, which is why its taken so damn long to do lol.

Tiki Toli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-23 08:39 am   Permalink

Great Work, love the ceiling. I can only hope mine comes out half as nice.

View Profile of Tiki Toli Send a personal message to Tiki Toli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-23 7:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks Tiki Toli, I hope you end up as happy with yours as I am with mine.

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-23 7:25 pm   Permalink

That door is amazing! Keep us updated!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-23 8:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks, I've actually got quite a bit accomplished lately... the closet is completely done on the inside (except the light shade), and the outside of the closet is almost done. I got a great ship light for above the closet door.

All the walls in the hut are almost finished in Lauhala Matting and routed boards to cover the seams. Few more shelves are done too.

I spent a lot of time super planning out everything...and this week I actually had to back track and take some things down to install a new idea... (but the idea was so cool and totally worth doing)...this week will be spent retro fitting the old work back in around the new project.... blah....but it will be totally worth it....

not the greatest pics, and they are kinda outdated already as there are things not seen in this pics that are done...bamboo pole borders, etc.. but here's the inside of the closet and the new light...
closet ceiling

closet wall

closet wall

closet floor

closet shelves

Light above closet door

Lit

ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-12 11:42 am   Permalink

So in 2005 I bought 2 of the Enchanted Tiki Room Drummers that Disney released. My old hut was too small so I never unpacked them and they have been sitting in their original boxes.

When I started building my new hut 2 years ago I had the idea of incorporating them up high in the eaves of the hut. I knew it would look cool, but there were issues, plans changed and I abandoned the idea.

So a couple of weeks ago my Dad said, "hey I thought you were putting your drummers up there?".... I told him I had scrapped the plan, and how it would be tough, require pulling down about 3 days worth of work..excuses excuses...
He basically reminded me it would be worth it and threw in something along the lines of "don't be a sissy" and to get to work.

So 3 days of work came down in 15 minutes (which kinda made me sick to think about) and I built a massive 2x12 shelf lagged into the top plate, supported by 4x4 beams lagged into re-enforced studs, some routing, fire and stain. Then I spent a day retro fitting everything back in.

So then I decided the Drummers and my vision would never look complete without the Middle Guy. I can't carve to save my life. Everytime I've done it, it looks like the work of a blind monkey with a hatchet.... but I route decent enough...so using different depths of wood and routing I set about to create the center drummer....

About a week of work, all scrap wood, a little blood, and $30 in feathers...... still needs a few lighting tweeks.... but thru the cigar smoke and the low lighting... he came out decent enough.....

Tikis play the drums.....

Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-12 12:06 pm   Permalink

AWESOME

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-12 1:16 pm   Permalink

Very well done!

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-13 06:10 am   Permalink

That is badass. Glad you went for it!

Mahalo for sharing.

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation